Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

April Fools' Day Request

We appreciate your help in keeping the day fun, but not mean-spirited or anything which might further upset folks at a time when their nerves are already on edge. Posting humor is appreciated, but mean-spirited tricks aren't. - Dusty Sage
2 of 2 < >

MICECHAT COMMUNITY RULES

See more
See less

RCMC #138 - Nothing Fancy: Just that "New Thread Smell"

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Tax refund for our household this year. No extra money. Makes it hard to keep up with the rising bills.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

• I feel for you.....understanding now how the Social Security increased...put us more into poverty.....the $20.00 I received was consumed by rent increase, power company increase, internet increase and newspaper increase.....$50.00 they all wanted....out of my $20.00.

Comment

• 4:30 am...and I am struggling to fall back asleep. By 5:00 I am awake and pondering what activity I can do in the house as i cannot immediately sit down after waking up. I walk outside and see the moon, behind a thin cloud, the halo rainbow of crystals around the full moon, stars and not a palm frond moving. Turn on the coffee and begin to sort thru the desk drawer that I discovered yesterday while sitting on the sofa watching the rain pour down on the Palm tree horizon. Maybe that is why I am anxious like a Christmas morning. It poured again in the night and maybe another flood had happened.

Yesterday, i Had timed my science and figured it would be apt time for the slow moving water in the dry wash river bed to come by my street. For the second time in my life, I have seen a flash-flood start and end. The Monday afternoon dusk event was more of a trickle and I was 100 yards away from the fingers of foams slowing moving toward the Colorado River. So slow, I could actually walk up the down slope grade of the sand and watch it trickle as though the water was in my yard, it had speed but no volume and eventually stopped running before even coming close to the river. It just stopped and formed a pool. I called a friend and ran back up to the neighborhood to sound the alarm that nature was performing.

Eventually the water cleared in its slow movement and I could look down to the bottom of the stream that had moved like a snake across the wash, as it had done in previous floods that I had not seen....and I knew why...the streams of foam and muddy water only lasted an hour in front of my house...I seen it start...seen it stop and just settle into pools. I could look up the wash and see the water recede back to it source. The sand was packed where the weight of the water flowed, but not the entire wash. That is one advantage of the rain, it hardens the paths. Normally the sand is very difficult to walk in, one step requires trudging, and pushing and basically wears you down physically, so I don't walk the wash after the stream beds soften.

The pebbles and stones and rocks were beautiful, so I went to bed in anticipation of using the morning sun to find treasures. But the sun never appeared in the dawn, a thick layer of London fog crept over the palm trees. Anyhow, wanting a strange environment I decided to hike. I went to put on my hiking shoes. They were drenched, soaking wet, not another area on our well covered patio had a wet spot. Just the shoes. A delay. I rummaged thru the shoe box for my old hiking shoes, and then the wife called to help with a kitchen project. Another delay.

Project done and on my way, the smell of fresh rain and creosote tree fragrance, wafting thru the mystery of fog. Once on the hard-pan bank of the wash, the trees were ghost like and framed by the isolation of the fog. I reached the wash to begin my search, but in the wash, a ghost like figure, one of the many walkers on the hard pan ridges that I meet on my morning walks. So it is uncommon to see a walker actually walk the length of the wash. This morning, a walker was coming out of the fog down the path of the wash....with a dog...unleashed. So rather than being subject to what ever stranger behavior a golden retriever can manage, I climbed the opposite side steep bank and watched them float by in the eerie fog....out of sight, I ventured down to my rock collecting.

10 minutes later, the dog is by my side, panting, acting stressed...and no master to be seen in the fog. The dog looked at me.. pranced then walked back down the wash some yards, stopped and looked back at me.....something was wrong. So i followed the dog back up the bank and into the fog. He stopped and began looking for his master, he walked in the direction that he came from then stopped to see if I was following. Something is for sure wrong, because the fog has lighten up to see 50 yards away, but no one. The dog then bounded up the steep bank on one of the many ATV roads. We both stopped at the side of one of the many canyons.....I yelled, but no response, followed the dog, yelled, but no response. Dog was in stress and no sign of the walker. So back down we went to the wash to the spot we were last in the wash and walked south down the wash, looking for tracks in the blanket of fog that was thicker in the valley of the wash. The dog ran ahead...there lay his master...she had fallen and could not lift herself up in the foot deep soft sand, she could not gain a hold in the sand, though not quicksand, if one is not strong, the sand will just push deeper and deeper. I helped her up and she was okay, the soft sand like falling on feathers, 2 feet deep, but no place to gain a hold.

I walked with her for a bit, she was embarrassed as are the seniors here who wish to be independent She was fine, a very soft landing, brushing the sand off her cell phone, that had bounced out of reach on her fall. She taken a different path today, afraid of the fog and that she would not be seen on her normal walking path, afraid the dog would be hit by fast moving ATV, scampering about invisible in the fog

I arrived back at my patio, sat on the stool and took off my sand caked shoes. The wet spot still wet , where I have placed my shoes ...everyday....everyday.......what if my shoes had not been wet...and I had been on my way and climbed over the ridge off the wash.
        Last edited by laferney Road kid; 02-11-2020, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Bless your heart Kid, for paying attention to that dog. I am sure the lady is very grateful. I know I would be. I think my husband worries about me when I venture out alone. He doesn't worry so much when Cheyenne and I go on one of our shopping trips.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Disneyland has increased prices again. I am, for sure, priced out now. Now a spare dollar in our household anymore. Not for vacations anyway.
            BarbaraAnn

Comment

• For me, it's not the price, it's the crowds that keep me away.

Maybe someday............

Comment

• Quite a few years ago, the neighbors dog ( a few hundred yards away) came to our house. It very rarely ever leaves its yard so it was obvious something was wrong. Me and one of my boys followed it home where its master had fallen out of his wheelchair and could not get up.

We got him back in his chair and all was well again........

Dogs are good at stuff like that.

Comment

• My husband asked me today if I have any plans to vacation a Disney World again. He specifically said Disney World, and not Disneyland. I think that's because it's closer to us. I told him No, since we really do not have the money. Then there's this new issue about "Real ID's". I'd have to get one of those, or I am never getting on an airplane to go anywhere again. My husband did not know what I was talking about. I told him. Good thing he does not travel for is job any more. He used to do that a lot, but that was way before 911, and all the new security, which is a real pain.
                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Nevada is one of the states that have automatic real ID with drivers licenses. But wait......you don't drive.....almost forgot........lol.

Comment

• I have to gather up all the necessary documents, and visit the Secretary of State. I wish they would have done this a few years back when I got my last state ID. They have a special stipulation when you reach a certain age, you do not have to keep renewing. However, now since I wish to switch to a real ID, that has changed. Anyone wanting to stick with just a normal ID does not have to get a Real ID. However, they can't board a plane just using that. They'd have to carry a few extra things. One of those is a passport. Not sure about the rest. Not really sure what is reason for all this fuss in the first place.
                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

• I don't think the 'real ID' thing actually did much of anything but it made some spoil, especially government people, feel like they did something. But it certainly caused a lot of trouble for a lot of basic citizens.........as usual..........lol.

Comment

• Society in general has become cynical. No one trusts anyone anymore. Lots of things happen in these times because people are afraid. Sure bad stuff does happen. However, the younger generation is growing up with way different attitudes than the generations before. How many times have we heard? What is this world coming to?
                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

• I woke up Friday morning with my head spinning and sweating profusely. I stayed in bed all day Friday, first time in many years. I have some sort of vertigo, everything else is ok, I have no balance at all.

This afternoon, I can walk.....sort of, Friday, no way. I had to crawl on all fours to get to the bathroom.

From what I've read, it'll get better on its own, there's not much a Doctor can do.

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago but not as bad. It lasted about a week then I was ok.

In other news, we had about 2" of snow this morning, it's all gone now.

Comment

• Doctors hate when people self diagnose themselves. However, sometimes they are right, and do not want to admit it. I don't know how you would even get to a doctor, Rob, considering you present state of mobility. Rest up, and get well soon.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

• I can get a ride to the Doctors but as it continues to improve, I'll wait it out for a few more days.

Comment

• April Fool's Day. I have changed my calendars. I hunted for the annual Al Lutz column, and I found it. As usual Al proves just what a class act he is. Considering the Coronavirus pandemic that we are all living through, the column was perfect. One of the reasons MiceChat will always be dear to my heart. I have wandered from that point of view a few times over the years, but not today.
                                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Yep, April 1.........for me, it's just another day but sometimes I'll play a bit of an April Fools joke.

I still think MC is a good place to be. The majority of people here are good folks who share my enjoyment of Disney.

The job I'm on is shut down until 4/11, then they'll decide what to do after that. It's ok, it gives me time to work on my 'retirement home'. So far the weather has been not too bad; I've lost only a few days because of it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X