This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Nother Sewing question--This time I might start throwing things

So for the past hour I've been fighting with an older, but previously unused, sewing machine I borrowed from a friend. At first it worked all right, and I got the hang of it, then the thread tangled. I fixed it and no biggie, and it happened again, so I fixed it again. All of a sudden, though, the thread from the needle keeps getting tangled around the bobbin!!! I've tried fixing this about 20 times as per it says in the instruction manual, I changed the needle, I changed the tension, I cleaned the bobbin, I've rethreaded the *^&%$*& thing about sixteen times, and the needle STILL won't pick up the bobbin thread and it gets tangled. I'm using a Janome Sew Mini, and I couldn't begin to tell you the actual model number.
    I am literally 12 inches of sewing away from finishing the skirt of my halloween costume, and I've almost pulled out my hair trying to fix this. I don't want to hand sew because I want it to look REMOTELY good and not like the rest of the things I sew by hand......

So any advice???? The help hotline doesn't open back up til 6AM PST.
    dreams. come. true.

Re: 'Nother Sewing question--This time I might start throwing things

hmmmm, you are pulling the bobbin thread up and through the holder with the needles before you start to sew...right?...if so i have no idea...

Comment

I had a Janome Mini. What's your tension? Check that. Or go to their website and join their help message boards. That's what I did.

Comment

Many years ago a woman in the sewing machine department at Sears (yes, they used to actually have sewing machine departments at Sears) told me to use a bigger size needle when I complained about this. I was taught that a size 12 needle was standard and that's what I should use unless I was working with a really thick fabric, like denim. On that woman's advice I started using a size 14 needle for most fabrics and it really, really cut down on the thread tangling.

Comment

I got it fixed actually. I went over to a friend's house and used her nicer Kenmore machine--which then proceeded to do the exact same thing as the other machine--except the needle got stuck in the bobbin thing. I ended up taking a screwdriver to the bobbin compartment and taking it all apart then putting it back together, cleaning out thread as I went, and taking out the needle (and changing it as it was slightly bent.) We changed the foot, changed the tension, and all of a sudden the machine worked brilliantly. I didn't get much done sewing-wise that day, but I felt accomplished. I took the machine that I used before home with me again, figuring that whatever was going wrong was probably my error, and I spent an hour fighting with it before I grabbed another screwdriver and opened up the machine. This was a drop in bobbin, so I blew out any dust and I moved the compartment thing--by accident, but all of a sudden the machine is working wonderfully. I got the entire lining of my dress done, which took less time than the dress did, and the only reason I had to stop where I was was because my boyfriend showed up to take me to his house for the weekend.
          I'm not saying just yet what my costume is--I'm hoping to surprise everyone though I'm gonna go ahead and assume that I'm not going to be the only one of this character on MC--but I hope you all like the photos I post when I'm done with the costume. They should be up before the week is out! (I'm even dying my hair for this!!)
          dreams. come. true.

Comment

Glad it got worked out!

Can't wait to see pics!
            "But every night, when it gets dark
            and the stars come out,
            I'll look up on her behalf.
            I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X