Its a new day/any one want to lose weight with me :)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hakuna Makarla
    Banned User
    • Aug 2005

Re: Its a new day/any one want to lose weight with me

6'8 ? totally cool!! now if you were only 20 years younger !! ok enough sorry
    yep join our team, just put in what ya ate, what ya did for excercize and we will talk ya thru it welcome aboard!!!

Comment

• SCUBAbe
      no flash photography...
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by BigDaddyKyle
      I think I need to cut back on the sweets and start exercising!

BDK
      yeah...you and me both..

Comment

• Hakuna Makarla
        Banned User
        • Aug 2005

I can not tell you how many sweets I go thru in a day, its mind boggling! I acually went thru the day with out candy, with out pepsi, with out chips, you got to know this was a major feat in its self!! Yeah, call me butter butt, but starting today you can call me low cal sal

Comment

• BigDaddyKyle
          Miranda Lambert and Me!
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by hakuna makarla
          6'8 ? totally cool!! now if you were only 20 years younger !! ok enough sorry
          yep join our team, just put in what ya ate, what ya did for excercize and we will talk ya thru it welcome aboard!!!

:bow: Thanks and hugs to you!
          Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
          Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Comment

• Trekkie Dad
            state supported cyclist
            • Sep 2005

Believe me Karla, it was a lot easier giving up red meat than I thought it would be. And I really liked it, too. Sausage was probably the wurst (pun intended) for me. But I replaced it with things I really like, and salmon is one of them. I'm not even interested in things that taste like red meat; I want a turkey burger to taste like turkey!

I don't really miss it. I ate a barbequed steak last August (I was a guest), and enjoyed it, but I rode poorly the next day. And I have no particular desire to eat it again. I really like Chinese food, and occasionally some red meat will get in the stir fry, but I don't fret over it. I just don't seek it out.

Being an active guy, carbs are my friends. I can get the fuel I need without the fat. (OK, straight sugar isn't so good, but there are some great complex carbs with lots of other great nutrients in them.)

It is probably harder for the DW, as she has had to adjust some of her recipes and plan meals w/o red meat. And she didn't have a lot of experience cooking fish. (And she'll sneak out to In and Out for a burger once in a while. I don't mind.)

Fast food places are notorious for high calorie fatty foods. The stuff that Burger King is promoting makes me want to avoid the place like the plague. When a colleague offered to pick up lunch at Jack in the Box the other day, I went online and read the nutrition information. Not a lot of choices if you want to avoid the calories and fat. At least two of the sandwiches had over 1000 calories! (They had red meat, of course). The chicken sandwich that I ordered had 660 with 14g of fat--it didn't look quite so bad next to the others, but it was still more than I would have liked.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox about the mammal flesh for now. If you can't go without it, at least cut it way back and trim off the fat. And stay away from the ground meat and sausage! You hear me?

Definitely get started with the exercise. Even if you don't lose weight right away, you will feel much better. We have several ladies with extra pounds riding in our bike club. They may not race like greyhounds, but they'll get out and ride 30-40 miles or more. (And they are bold enough to wear lycra shorts, just like the rest of us!) Even if they never lose another pound, they are better off riding with us than sitting at home in front of the tube.

You have to be in it for the long haul, Karla. You can't say, "I'll just diet until I lose XX pounds." To make a permanent change, you have to make the change permanent. No looking back.
            Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
            2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
            2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
            sigpic

Comment

• Alchimedes
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2005

I just want to say this is a really great thread. It is so nice to see people trying to encourage each other.

My wife lost 95 LBs last year. She gained some of it, but she has always battled with it. I have never pressured her to diet. I'm proud of what she has accomplished and hope she can do more. I just hope that on top of dieting that a reasonable amount of excercise is alocated to help your process.

Also I have done the same route but Carbos are my freind as well. I cut out red meat also and saw tremendous results, including intense stretching, which being flexible is another healthy thing as well that I contribute to my success.

In 2001 I rode almost 11,000 Miles. Most years are about the same as Trekkie. One of my freinds a Dentist placed Second in the Master nationals using the Barry Sears Zone Plan. And he was in the same situation as Trekkie(Played for Cal in the Rose Bowl).

So best of luck to you to all in your quest for better health.
              1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

• brazen wench
                Fire at Will
                • Sep 2005

A really great website is dottisweightlosszone.com. It is geared toward WW, with all points calculations, but it also has basic nutritional info (cals, fat, fiber) on over 440 restaurant chains and their complete menus. The restaurant info is awesome and frequently updated to include new menu items. It's a great way to help pick what to eat and what to avoid before you go out.

She also has the breakdowns for thousands of foods grouped by nationality and brand names, recipes, menu plans, etc. Here is where you can easily find unusual topics like state fair foods, vending machine foods, baking and cooking ingredients, advice on good choices in ethnic restaurants, and much more.

Comment

• Hakuna Makarla
                  Banned User
                  • Aug 2005

WOW you guys are awsome!! the info here is worth its weight in gold!!!
                  trekkie, I am not a sasauge eater, I love pork chops ( baked) and pork loin. I know that red meat is a must to give up, I can feel it and I know I will be better off with out it. your advice is well taken, I am gong to do my best to do a life change now. No more month or week changes!! ( I promise )
                  Tic toc, I am so proud of your wife!!! How awsome!!! What plan was she on? is she still on it?
                  Last year I lost 80 pounds in 6 months, the problem is I decided to go back to my eating habbits, look where it got me. Im going round the circle again!
                  Brazen wench, I am going to go look at that site, thank you so much!
                  but I am no longer going to go to fast food resturants. I may order chinese but no more take out my kids can be blessed with it once in a while but now I am cooking home cooked meals again.

Today I woke 3 pounds lighter, water weight I am sure but I feel better. I stuck to my foods, did or sway and I did not crave like I always do around 7:00 and want to start snacking. I did feel I was missing something, ( like the food in my mouth, but I was on here a lot instead typing away

Here is my menu for the day
                  water lots of water

Breakfast...
                  2 scrambled eggs ( pan spray no oil)
                  green pepper and onion added
                  cheddar cheese on top ( 2 tablespoons)
                  green tea

Lunch
                  1/2 pita bread bread
                  turkey,
                  lettuce
                  tomato
                  mustard
                  green tea

snack......vegi's or apple

Dinner

aujuice sandwitch ( home made)
                  green beans
                  apple for snack

Have a great day everyone, eat good and let us know if you have some real low cal foods we can try.

Comment

• Xharryb
                    Happy Memories
                    • Jan 2005

Mornin! So when I left here yesterday I had one of those 100 calorie packs and an apple as my snack while driving between jobs. When i got out of work i was starving so i got a salad and wasn't even able to finish it.

Had a rough night so i'm not feeling very rested today, but here's how we've started so far. Bowl of Raisin bran, little bit of OJ and of course water.

Almost forgot, i'm pretty sure I went through at least 2 liters of water yesterday..... and no karla, I never touched that peice of candy.

Comment

• DMof2
                      most magical vaca ever
                      • Sep 2005

I took a big step this morning....

Only put one sugar in my coffee, now if you knew that I usually put about 10 in it you'd see how much of a big step it was to go to only one!

I had a bowl of oatmeal too...

Trying... trying to do better than yesterday!
                      ~~~:ap:~~~

Comment

• Alchimedes
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jan 2005

My wife used Weight Watchers, she is a lifetime member now after she accomplished this. Her clothes were so loose. She got back on track recently and is doing well. Keep it up everyone!
                        1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

• Hyperbole
                          I'm your huckleberry.
                          • May 2005

Here's a cooking tip for fish or chicken...

Trader Joes makes a line of exotic "Simmer Sauces" that are low or no fat, organic and very VERY tasty. Just put your fish or chicken breast in a baking dish, pour some sauce over it, cover with foil and bake! Its quick, easy, healthy and delicious. My favorite is the Cuban Mojito simmer sauce on Mahi Mahi... yummy!

HM, since you don't care for fish, stick with either Mahi Mahi or Tilapia. They're very mild, don't have that "fishy" flavor and are very simple to cook.

Need to add some protein to your diet? Start throwing nuts into your salads, use crushed nuts to coat fish or chicken when you bake it (mock fried chicken). I like using cashews, pecans or almonds since I'm allergic to walnuts. Nut oil is good for you, and nuts are great sources of protein!

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                          Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

• Hakuna Makarla
                            Banned User
                            • Aug 2005

ok
                            16 ozs water down, 2 cups green tea
                            excercize........ giving a 21 year old man a bath who has to be carried to th4e bathroom, hates the bath, and fights me every step of the way,. What a sweetie! I have taken care of my nephew for 9 years now, and long before that did a lot of OT with him. he is now 5'10 and about 150 lbs. Yep a big guy. So if you think this is not a hard job think again! I have to lift him to and from his chair like a baby, he does not sit,walk or talk.
                            'He was born normal but got a DPT shot from the doctors that had germs in it. He began to seizure and became very handicapped in short order.
                            my mom cares for him when i am not here, and we love him so much. He is my sisters son, but she gave him to mom when hews 9 because his care was so mucg that they could not get help unless they made very little money. Long story but she now has 3 other children and mom and I have cared for him many years. He is very heavy, dead weight and fights not to even be picked up. So you can imagine how lifting him baby style is on the body. my mom has had 2 back surgerys over it and my back is now torn up. we tried a lift but he was to scare and screamed when we tried to use it.
                            As I type this the sweat is pouring off me, my 5'3 frame fat and old feeling lifting him, bathing him, lifting him, dressing him, and lifting him again for his chair, I am already exausted.
                            But he is so dear and precious to us, and I thank god he is with us !
                            Now I am off to do 2 loads of laundry, I did dishes and will vacume and dust. so yeah, I am getting some excercize in
                            How are all of you doing today?
                            HAve you gotten your feet buisy? drink that water

Comment

• Hakuna Makarla
                              Banned User
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by a_hyperbole
                              Here's a cooking tip for fish or chicken...

Trader Joes makes a line of exotic "Simmer Sauces" that are low or no fat, organic and very VERY tasty. Just put your fish or chicken breast in a baking dish, pour some sauce over it, cover with foil and bake! Its quick, easy, healthy and delicious. My favorite is the Cuban Mojito simmer sauce on Mahi Mahi... yummy!

HM, since you don't care for fish, stick with either Mahi Mahi or Tilapia. They're very mild, don't have that "fishy" flavor and are very simple to cook.

Need to add some protein to your diet? Start throwing nuts into your salads, use crushed nuts to coat fish or chicken when you bake it (mock fried chicken). I like using cashews, pecans or almonds since I'm allergic to walnuts. Nut oil is good for you, and nuts are great sources of protein!
                              good tips!!! thank you. I wish we had a trader joes, but here in Montana I do not think there is any of those places.
                              Sounds so yummy! thank you Hyperbole!!

Comment

• disneymeimei
                                MiceChatter
                                • Aug 2005

I started off better today...only two cups of coffee (I get up at 5:00 am), Tae Kwan Do for an hour, two wholewheat fig newtons, a couple of grapes, and now I'm waiting for the mickey mouse toaster to toast my two slices of oatmeal bread.

MeiMei (food journals are very enlightening...)
                                Boo!

Comment

• Hakuna Makarla
                                  Banned User
                                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by disneymeimei
                                  I started off better today...only two cups of coffee (I get up at 5:00 am), Tae Kwan Do for an hour, two wholewheat fig newtons, a couple of grapes, and now I'm waiting for the mickey mouse toaster to toast my two slices of oatmeal bread.

MeiMei (food journals are very enlightening...)
                                  Good morning Mei Mei!!! I also get up real early, I think I do better when I get up before any one else. Good to hear from you today, hows life

Comment

• Churro
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jun 2005

I had baked chicken for dinner last night with red potatoes and corn. This morning I was naughty and had a McGriddle ooops! My tip for the day is to walk for one hour with out stopping. You can do it!

Comment

• Xharryb
                                      Happy Memories
                                      • Jan 2005

Post lunch check in: I brought a PB&J sammich (there wasn't anything else in the house to choose from) and a few other snackables, but I didn't eat them. I had some leftover cheese and crackers from a previous snack and decided i was more in the mood for that. It filled me up enough that it was all I had for lunch. I may yet have another snack before the day is done, but it will probably be the apple that I didn't eat at lunch. I've only drank about 1/2 a liter of water so far today though which is way below what I drank yesterday. I'm sure I will at least finish this bottle before i get home from work though, and I drink nothing but water at home (with the exception of fruit juice occasionally).

Comment

• Hyperbole
                                        I'm your huckleberry.
                                        • May 2005

Okay, here's my progress so far today:

Breakfast: Coke Zero and some pumpkin seeds (about 1/2 cup)

Lunch: Coke Zero, Roast beef sandwich from the vending machine (I ate the meat and lettuce, only at 1/4 of the bun w/ no mayo)

Snack: Coke Zero again (I have a caffeine problem but hate coffee).

My biggest accomplishment was that I went to an employee appreciation party earlier today and did not partake of the ice cream sundae bar!!!

Not cooking dinner tonight, too many errands after work. So I'm getting take out or fast food. What's "healthy"? I really like the salads from McDonalds with the grilled chicken... I wonder how bad they are for you. Any good suggestions?

Oh, and I've walked 3 miles today according to my pedometer! I think I'm doing pretty good so far!

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                                        Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

• Hakuna Makarla
                                          Banned User
                                          • Aug 2005

good for you hyperbole!!!

I need to find out how much deli roast beef is in calories. we are having french dips tonight and I do not know what the calorie count is on that. OYE!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X