This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling while pregnant vs. traveling with a little baby

J and I are at an impasse here, and have been getting so many differing opinions I thought I'd throw a few more into the pot???

We currently have a DL trip planned for President's week. I will be 33-34 weeks pregnant. The DR has okyed it. I am concerned that by then I will so uncomfortable for the 5 hours flight, plus will have so much trouble making it round the park., Also, because I was overweight when I got preg and older, we might not even get to go - I am at a higher risk for complications. (We did get travel insurance). And by thne it'll be too late to get DVC for August.

The pros are it'll just be us, one last final trip, if I do need extra time, we can take it w/o worrying about our baby's needs too. Even so, we will be able to get more things done and go to Sea World, etc, easier. Also, we have already paid for plane tix (2, wont have to buy 3)and have DVC reserved for almost every night.

Buttttt.... I want to go in Aug, when the baby will be 4 months. We will get to go to the Expo, which is the big draw. We'll have to juggle things a bit but it'll be doable. We'll also be able to ride Little Mermaid. We can take the kid to a Disney Park and then not have to go again until he/she is older. Everyone will get to meet the baby. We will be driving to a resort in PA when the baby is 2 mos, so we'll already have some travel experience. Baby switch so I can ride roller coasters again!!!! Being in the summer, we can stay longer than a week if need be.

The cons are more money on the whole, esp buying another plane ticket. 5 hour plane ride with a baby. Changing diapers on the plane. possible ear discomfort for the little one on take off/landing. It will be harder to get DVC that week, esp the weekend. Might not get as much done as we want to, won't get to sea world. Just the whole logistics of DL and hotels and all with a baby.

So.... as you can see, it is a tough choice
    Does anyone have any thoughts? We need to make a final decision soon.
    Thank you for any input
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Re: Traveling while pregnant vs. traveling with a little baby

Nobody had traveled while pregnant or with an infant
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Don't have kids, never been pregnant (but I have traveled with service dogs on planes. Does that count?). So I can't help there. But what about road tripping to Florida after the baby is born?

Congratulations though!!!!!

Comment

First off congrats, I did not take my daughter to DL till she was 3 and potty trained. You may want to check with the airlines I did not have to buy a seat till she was 2. Of course that was 8 years ago but I just held her prior to 2.. I personally would wait till the baby is born to go. 30+ weeks is getting kind of close to your due date. Once the baby is born it is harder to lug around the stroller etc. Honestly it is your call but I would wait. Just think once the baby is here DL will change forever. It is even more magical. You will get to the front of the line and your child will have to go potty NOW...LOL good luck you will make the right decision for you..

Comment

I waited to do DL until the Wolfette was five.....so much easier! Traveled other places with her starting at 3 months and we had no major problems, but then she was a very quiet and patient baby. It's a hassle, but we didn't want to give up traveling and you don't have to. You still can fly with a baby under the age of two and hold him/her with no charge, but having that extra seat can sure come in handy for diaper changing and extra room for the two of you.

Did fly when pregnant against Docs orders (was high risk also) and only had massive swelling in my feet. Getting around was no problem at all, but then we were only visiting family.

Whatever you choose you will adapt to the situation and have a great time. Enjoy!
          Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
          it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
            Nobody had traveled while pregnant or with an infant
            I have, but I have never put that much thought into it. I just went and made sure I was prepared...my daughter is fine though ...she is going to be 20 soon. It all works out.

I probably would not travel far if my pregnancy was high risk though. That's just me. I would never tell anyone else what to do. It's their choice.

Also, my child did not got to Disneyland until she was 3 or 4. We just waited. I'm not sure why. I would have no issue taking an infant. We just didn't.

Comment

I didn't travel when I was pregnant, but by the end I was exhausted and walking around Disneyland would have been difficult since I was often short of breath with the baby's feet hooked up under my ribs. (Ouch!) Are you okay with possibly having delivering out here with a different doctor and getting "stuck" without any of your baby stuff handy? That is a real possibility, which would then require you to buy a car seat and whatnot, and maybe even an extra plane ticket home!

I did travel by plane with my son when he was around 4-6 months old and it was easy. I did get a separate ticket for him so he would be secure during the flight-- a baby-in-arms is a flying projectile in case of an emergency situation, just like in a car. (Plus you'll end up needing a car seat when you get where you are going anyway.) Also, he was very heavy and it was nice to not have to hold him the whole time, and I just flew from OC to San Francisco! I can't imagine juggling an infant in my arms cross-country. It's much easier to travel with an infant than a toddler though, IMHO. You can check your stroller at the gate, it's there when you get off the plane, you pop the car seat in and you're off. After that, it's easy, just like being at home!
              A signature should go here.

Comment

Don't have kids and never been pregnant (thank god), but my parents didn't take me to WDW until I was 3. By then I knew where we were going and I knew who the characters were and the movies a lot of the rides were based on and all that. A 4 month old baby won't remember anything about the trip.

I'm really no help for a question like this. :lol:

Comment

Since you're at higher risk, I would wait. At the 33-34 week stage its going to start getting tough to easily get around, you may actually be uncomfortable at that stage or be in the beginning stages of it.

I don't think traveling with a baby is extremely difficult as much as you just have to be prepared that you'll need extra time and to plan for the extra time needed. I've watched many change their babies on the plane and if you stay in the bulkhead seats their is the extra room for it. Some airplanes even have a table that comes out just for that.

Like others have said it really is a personal choice that you have to make and no one else can make for you. You know how you feel, what type of limitations you have and so forth.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                    A 4 month old baby won't remember anything about the trip.
                    I don't think that would matter. When my child was small she went every where I wanted/needed to go. I never thought twice about it. I just made sure I was prepared with what I would need for her.

She got used to it and always was very well behaved in public. I never had to worry about how she would behave...unlike my friends kid...they never took her anywhere and she was horrible the one time we all went out to eat together. It was embarrassing.

Comment

I actually found traveling with an infant to be fairly easy, and that includes trips to Disneyland. It is a LOT easier to carry an infant or push a stroller than it is to chase a toddler

The plane trip might be very uncomfortable for you if you're heavily pregnant, and once you're on you're stuck no matter how awful you're feeling.

We flew cross-country and back with a baby, plus drove several hundred miles on the same trip. Babies are portable, they have a lot of junk but I didn't find it to be a big deal. We had a packable playpen that we also used as his bed and it was fantastic. We had no problems flying with it and we gate-checked the stroller and used the carrier/car seat on the plane.
                      Babies usually fly for free as lap-sitters. If you want to guarantee the baby has a seat you will have to buy one.

My son has flown many times since then, including several when he was still using a bottle. Keep something tasty like juice in a bottle and offer it to the baby when you're taking off and landing. The sucking helps equalize the pressure in the ears and you shouldn't have any problems.

I have probably forgotten lots, but basically I'm saying I would wait and go with the baby and not while pregnant. You can let Dad carry the baby or push the stroller, but before the birth nobody carries that burden but you and if you're like me you'll be tired a lot. DL when you're bone-weary just isn't a lot of fun.

Feel free to PM me if you want! Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great trip.

Comment

Hi Lori Beth!

I never flew anywhere when I was pregnant since there was no where I needed or wanted to fly to during my pregnancies.

I'm pretty sure you would not have to pay for a plane ticket for your baby as long as you were willing to hold him/her on your lap (or Jeff's lap) for the entire flight.

If you nurse your baby or give him/her a bottle on the plane , it's supposed to help with ear discomfort.

I think since you and Jeff have already been to DL so many times with just the two of you, it will be fun for you to take the baby with you . And like you said, then everyone will get to meet him or her.

If you decide you're going to take the trip with the baby , just be sure to take "practice trips" to other places first so the baby will be used to traveling and you'll know what things you must take and what things you can leave at home.

Comment

We took both our boys to DL while they were babies, but we didn't have to fly to get there. Even 25-27 years ago, DL was very accommodating to families with infants. Not only will you deal with diapers, but there will be "spills" from the front end as well.

The first time I went to Europe on a concert tour, Jimmie was pregnant and stayed home. We decided early on that she wasn't going to travel that late in her pregnancy. At least our son waited until I returned.
                          Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
                          2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
                          2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm a Mom of (almost) 5. I've done DLR with infants, while pregnant, pregnant with an infant, and flown while pregnant with infants/toddlers and alone while pregnant.

My opinion? Wait. If this is your first baby, at that point in time you may be rather uncomfortable. Especially if your baby has dropped down into your pelvis. By the time your baby is 4 months old you'll have your energy back and he/she will be in a routine that you'll know when it's feeding/nap time, making a trip that much easier. Sure, you may miss out on some of the plans you would like to do, but you'll be more likely to enjoy what you do get to do. However, that's just my opinion...
                            She said all she heard was wind, which was insulting, as my phone was in my back pocket...

Comment

My son will be 2 months tomorrow. I would say wait until the baby comes. You will not be very comfortable on the plane for that long, let alone walking around the parks. We will be taking the baby when he is 8 months old and I can't wait. Right now, he has colic so we nixed taking him in December since they (hopefully) grow out of it at around 3 months, which is when that trip was. But, he does well in his car seat. When he is crying and crying we put him in the car. He hates to stop at the lights, so we always joke, well- let's just drive to Disneyland.

Anyway- my 2 cents is it will be more enjoyable with the baby even if it is a little more work. We are going to San Jose for Thanksgiving and we bought him a seat on the plane. I feel better having him in a seat and I am hoping he will do well in it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X