This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can you cook stew?

Okay, so I started putting together a stew at about 6:30 tonight in my slow-cooker. Had it on high initially, but turned it down to low when I realized no way would it be dinner tonight.

Question is: can I leave it on low all night? I'm not a big crock pot user, so I don't know what the time frame on this stuff is. I kinda figured, if it's safe to, I'd leave it to finish cooking all night and in the morning move it to the fridge to reheat for dinner.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Re: How long can you cook stew?

I'd leave it cooking all night. Does your crock pot have a "warm" setting? I'd turn it to that for the day. If you were to put it in the fridge and reheat, I think it would take all day for that. You could turn it off, don't refridgerate it, then turn it on again? Crock pots are a wonderful invention. I wish mine had a warm setting though. Its either high, low or off.

Good luck.

It's always me

Comment

Just monitor the water level before you leave for the day. I would leave it cooking all day too, on low. My mom used to cook pot roast in a cooker all night and all day and it was scrumptious.
      Sig by Poisonedapples!

Comment

I left it on low all night. It smells positively divine this morning, BUT - the potatoes aren't cooked! What gives? They're still as solid as apples. I took it off the heat and put it away in the fridge though because I'm not coming straight home tonight. The stew must wait till Saturday to be eaten. So I figure, leave it in the fridge now till tomorrow, then tomorrow afternoon I'll pull it out, pour it off into a standard pot, and cook it on the stove to warm it up and cook those darn potatoes. Oh, and I think it's time to add a roux as well.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

I was going to say that your stew would be fine as long as you didn't let the temp fall below 141 degrees...but then you put it in the fridge. Which is not really a safe thing...putting hot food straight into the fridge ....but it should be ok.

And I can't imagine why your potatoes wouldn't be done yet...hmm.
          Us girls, we're so magical.
          Soft skin, red lips, so kissable.
          Hard to resist, so touchable.
          Too good to deny it.
          Ain't no big deal, it's innocent. :evil:

Comment

We have the same problem cooking potatoes in there. Two things we learned is to make smaller cubes or to boil them for just a few minutes before putting them in the stew and cooking all day.

For the stew, rather than wait until tomorrow afternoon and pot cooking it, I'd just put it back in the crock pot, add some water, and cook it on low all day again. The water should help keep everything cooking and it will all just fall apart when you touch it with a fork or spoon. Yum!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
            Mark Twain

Comment

I wonder if it depends on the stew.

We do a special stew at Halloween that;s cooked on the stovetop for 2 hours , then cooked in a pumpkin in the oven for 4 hours.

Please note...I am a NOT a cook...so any advice I give should be ignored!
              Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 03-31-2006, 08:27 AM.

Comment

The potatoes should almost be mush by now......don't understand that one at all!
                Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Potatoes not cooked all through? That is weird.
                  Sig by Poisonedapples!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X