This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmmm...mother dough!

Hey bakery tour fans, here's a chance to have your own historic piece of mother dough! Instructions and care sound akin having seamonkeys. Originally posted at boingboing.net:

Free, live pioneer-era sourdough starter

For the price of a stamp, Carl Griffith's Oregon Trail will mail you a 150+-year-old sourdough starter culture that was brought west by a pioneer ancestor:Link (via Making Light)
    :captain: double the powder and shorten the fuse?

Re: Mmmm...mother dough!

Interesting. But is it any good?

Comment

I have my own starter that's been going for over 25 years now. It's great stuff and makes wonderful pancakes, too.
      Mike

Comment

I guess I don't get it. By starter, what does that mean? And, how can it be going for so long. I feel dumb asking, but.....

Comment

Originally posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
          I guess I don't get it. By starter, what does that mean? And, how can it be going for so long. I feel dumb asking, but.....
          It's a living yeast culture you keep in the fridge. It's kind of like a batter. Every week or so you remove a cup of it and add a cup of flour and water mixed to replace and feed it.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mcow1 View Post
            It's a living yeast culture you keep in the fridge. It's kind of like a batter. Every week or so you remove a cup of it and add a cup of flour and water mixed to replace and feed it.
            Interesting! So simple sounding. So, that is how you can keep it around 25 years. The taking out and replacing. Thanks for the explaination!!

Comment

Wow, mcow. Does it get better with age?

Comment

I wish I could get a hold of some SF starter, now that would be premium
                ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Comment

tiggerfan, http://www.sourdo.com/culture.htm was linked as having sourdough starters from some of the world's oldest bakeries. they have what they classify as an authentic sf starter for the home baker, however it's neither free nor cheap!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X