This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beauty Blunders

What have you done in the name of beauty that backfired??

A few years ago (3 I think), I decided to have my hair colored instead of highlighted....huge mistake! My "auburn" color turned out more purple than anything. Turns out my hair doesn't all-over color without a TON of dye. It was awful.

I've done other stupid things, but lately I've done a few little dumb things.

Last week I had my eyebrows waxed and I decided on Sunday to nick a little off the top of one eyebrow before a concert and totally swiped the end of the brow....with a razor. Too lazy to use tweezers. Brilliant. Stupid.

Last week I must have chopped up the back of my left leg in the shower shaving, then I put on khaki capris and noticed dried blood spots a few hours later, after I'd run errands and went to the pool. Sigh.

Yesterday, my daughter wrapped her hair all up in a huge knot around a round brush at my mom's house, and to get it out, I used cooking spray to work the hair out of the brush.

Not having used a round brush in 15 years, I used it when drying the front of my hair this morning....a few hours later, I'm wondering why my hair is SO GREASY.

Der. Used the cooking spray coated brush, went to the pool where I saw all my friends and my kids' friends' parents, went to Starbucks and Wild Oats, saw another friend, and I just figured out why my hair is so gross.

Now I'm off to shower again, as I'm going to happy hour in a bit.

Anyone want to humor me. Tell me your beauty faux pas, big or little. Just make me feel not so dumb.

Re: Beauty Blunders

You've seen how my hair has changed. The blonde/yellow? Yeah, didnt do that on purpose. Theres a reason why my hair is so dark right now.

Im terrible with makeup. Im amazed people let me go out with them sometimes cause I have no idea what Im doing with my eyeshadow.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

I have learned not to mess with my eyebrows. That is what I pay my wax lady to do. I learned by taking a big chunk out of the middle of my brow, once.

I was using hot wax, took it of with the strip, but left some behind. Anyway, without thinking, I pressed the strip back on my face, tore it off and voila! Not only removed the leftover wax, but the hair that got caught up in the wax already on the strip. It was not pretty.
      Originally posted by All4dISNEY
      Words hurt.

Comment

Ok but remember you asked for it. When I was 18, some 20+ years ago I was punk before punk was cook and dyed my hair purple. After a few weeks of not being able to find a job I tried to cover it with brown hair dye which ended up turning my hair magenta.

Right before a big high school dance I had a few pimples so I used rubbing alcohol and stridex on my face the night before. The next week I looked like I had the dryest skin in America. It was just gross.

Been there and done that with eyebrows and razers. They just do not mix.

While traveling on business with my hubby I wanted to get my hair cut so I went to an unknown shop in Reno, NV and ended up with 'big hair'. Imagine Peg Bundy on Married with Children. I did not realize it was so bad until I saw my hubby that night. It was hysterical.

Just when I thought I was getting smart at my mature age, 6 years ago before a big trip to New York I attempted to dye my hair myself. Ended up with Hooker Bright Red Hair. I went to my hairdresser who had to bleach most of it out and then tried to recolor it my natural color. It turned out some awful brown color.
        sigpic

Comment

I tried to wax my lip area with wax strips. Somehow I managed to press the strip ONTO my lip :botox: I walked around with a nice Herpes-esque type of burn mark from that.

I used to suffer from "damn this piece of hair won't do what I want it to so I'll cut it off" but I've slowly weaned myself off of that, too many Buster Brown Bangs incidents

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I have had every color hair under the sun, and not always intentional.
            I have also had the burned lip from a home wax kit.
            In third grade I cut my bangs completely off, as I wanted them trimmed and did not want to wait, so I did them myself. I was looking down and did not realize I was leaving a whole inch of hair!
            Also the tanning creme /spray......it always leaves me looking spotty as it fades.

Comment

I have been coloring my hair since I was 14 uneventfully. However, less than a year ago, I did it for the last time. I was just doing a routine touch up, of a color I have used many times before, to cover my gray, when - dun dun DUN! Disaster struck. Somehow I ended up with these reddish yellow spots all over my head. I actually called out sick from work the next day and went to a salon, where I spent $180 to have it fixed. :botox:
              Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
                What have you done in the name of beauty that backfired??

A few years ago (3 I think), I decided to have my hair colored instead of highlighted....huge mistake! My "auburn" color turned out more purple than anything. Turns out my hair doesn't all-over color without a TON of dye. It was awful.

I've done other stupid things, but lately I've done a few little dumb things.

Last week I had my eyebrows waxed and I decided on Sunday to nick a little off the top of one eyebrow before a concert and totally swiped the end of the brow....with a razor. Too lazy to use tweezers. Brilliant. Stupid.

Last week I must have chopped up the back of my left leg in the shower shaving, then I put on khaki capris and noticed dried blood spots a few hours later, after I'd run errands and went to the pool. Sigh.

Yesterday, my daughter wrapped her hair all up in a huge knot around a round brush at my mom's house, and to get it out, I used cooking spray to work the hair out of the brush.

Not having used a round brush in 15 years, I used it when drying the front of my hair this morning....a few hours later, I'm wondering why my hair is SO GREASY.

Der. Used the cooking spray coated brush, went to the pool where I saw all my friends and my kids' friends' parents, went to Starbucks and Wild Oats, saw another friend, and I just figured out why my hair is so gross.

Now I'm off to shower again, as I'm going to happy hour in a bit.

Anyone want to humor me. Tell me your beauty faux pas, big or little. Just make me feel not so dumb.
                i'm pretty much convinced...round brushes are from the devil! haha!

Comment

Lesson I learned the hard way growing up: never let your dad cut your bangs with his razor.
                  It leaves burn marks and if you move the slightest bit, it can have a huge dent, and after your dad blames you for moving, he refuses to cut the rest to match.

Also, when you move to a new place, the first thing you want to do is look up decent hair salons. I didn't do that and my hilites were horrible and I had school starting within a week. So, my mom and I went to the salon in the mall to get them touched up because they were a cheap place. Big mistake. They bleached all of my hair, like white-blonde when I used to be blonde-blonde. It took me yeas of growing out my hair and cutting it to finally grow out all the bleach.

And round brushes ARE evil. It's the type of brush I use for my hair and when I roll it under to get some curl in my hair while blow-drying, it always gets caught and it's a pain to get it untangled. But when my hairdresser does it, it never happens. Typical.
                  Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

[quote=frecky;1988662]You've seen how my hair has changed. The blonde/yellow? Yeah, didnt do that on purpose. Theres a reason why my hair is so dark right now.

[quote]

I think you look great as a blonde or a brunette.

Stinkerbell..I wish I had a picture from my junior year of high school to show you. My friend read the perm directions as twenty minutes instead of two minutes so Iended up ith mushroom head. Two days later , my hair broke off to bout two inches in length all over..it was horrid!

Comment

A couple years ago, I put some temporary color stuff in my hair. Was supposed be purplish-black... it gave my hair a pink hue! It actually looked kind of cool, but thankfully the bulk of it washed out after a few days.

I'm a victim of overplucking my eyebrows. But I've become a master with the eyebrow pencil to fill and blend in where needed.

And I've lost count how many times I've nicked myself bad while shaving my legs!

Comment

Hmm - when I was a sophomore in college I permed my hair. The person doing my hair said I needed to soak in the solution a bit more because my very straight hair was not holding the curl. So an hour later, and I have a huge head of tightly curled hair which is bad enough but helllooo, I'm Japanese! When was the last time you saw an asian girl with super-curly hair? I looked like such a dork. And then letting it grow out so the roots were super-straight, while the ends were super curly - yeah, I couldn't wait to cut off that fiasco.

And then there was the one time I got a lovely zit right in the middle of my forehead, the night before I was going to a formal dinner/dance. I tried drying it out with some sort of zit remedy (didn't do a thing), popping it (got all nice and bloody, and swollen to boot), and then using concealer on it. That was smart. I looked like I was Hindu after that.
                        She did it!

Comment

Thank you ladies, I feel much better. :lmao:

I did the hair color at home thing ONCE. Henna. A friend and I had loooong glorious spiral permed hair in college, and we cherished being brunettes, but our hair was getting bleached over the summer, so we decided to do some henna. We put it in, forgot to even LOOK at how long it should be in, and settled down to watch The Big Chill, evidently forgetting how boring it is.

We fell asleep with henna in our hair.

Woke up looking like two long-haired Bozo the Clowns. Seriously orange hair. :lmao: We both BAWLED like babies.

God, I wish I had pictures!! But I have none. Not a single one.

We washed our hair repeatedly all weekend and most of it washed out.

Comment

I dyed my sisters hair when we were in college- actually I was trying to high light it - lets just say I was a little "out of it" at the time. Yeah :botox: Seemed like a good idea at the time. She looked like a leaopard.

I also tried to wax my bikini area with the home wax strips inch: 3 weeks ago- my husband had a good laugh listening to me (the whole neighborhood could hear it)

I have had bad hair dyes

I have cut my bangs by myslef- I always do this- and I always cut it too short and look like a dork for 2 weeks
                            Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I dyed my hair ash blond once, and it turned gray. Also one year, my hair was damaged because I bleached it really blonde and when I went swimming it turned green. It wouldn't wash out.

Now I leave it to the professionals!
                              Last edited by IndianaJenn; 07-25-2007, 01:55 PM.
                              One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Originally posted by Mouse princess
                              Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X