This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dena, my kids love "chili tamale bake" which equals to
    two cans of chili in a casserole dish(I use a lasgana one)
    one or two cans of tamales-unwrap place on top of chili
    a ton of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    sprinklin' of onions
    back at 350 for 20 min.

They LOVE this meal! I add salad and fruit on the side and they are happy campers.

Btw, hint to warm up tortillas with no oil, place a stack in a ziploc bag but don't zip and put in the microwave for about a minute and you're good to go!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Ooo..Tina that sounds good! I, sadly, have always loved canned tamales! I'll have to try this! Wonder if I can get the kids to eat it!

And great tip on the tortillas...I'll have to try that!
      Us girls, we're so magical.
      Soft skin, red lips, so kissable.
      Hard to resist, so touchable.
      Too good to deny it.
      Ain't no big deal, it's innocent. :evil:

Comment

Here's a fairly simple dish that is good for hot weather suppers. I've eliminated the carrots at times and added yellow and red sliced bell peppers instead and always use a good squeeze of fresh lime at the finish. Steamed rice is great with it.

PORK STIR-FRY WITH GREEN BEANS AND PEANUTS

Ginger and crushed red pepper help round out the Thai theme of this quick dish.

12 ounces pork tenderloin, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2x1/4-inch strips
        4 tablespoons soy sauce
        1 1/2 tablespoons honey
        2 garlic cloves, minced
        1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
        1 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
        1 cup matchstick-size strips peeled carrots (about 2 medium)

2 tablespoons canola oil
        1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2x1/4-inch strips
        1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
        3 green onions, thinly sliced
        chopped cilantro to taste
        1/4 cup finely chopped lightly salted peanuts

Mix pork, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, half of garlic, and crushed red pepper in medium bowl. Mix remaining 3 tablespoons soy sauce and remaining 1/2 tablespoon honey in small bowl; set aside.

Cook green beans in large saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add carrots to green beans in water; cook 1 minute. Drain carrots and green beans. Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add pork mixture; stir-fry 1 minute. Transfer pork to dish. Add remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil to wok; add red bell pepper and stir-fry 1 minute. Add green beans, carrots, ginger, and remaining garlic; stir-fry 1 minute. Return pork to wok along with reserved soy sauce-honey mixture; stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with sliced green onions, chopped cilantro and chopped peanuts and serve.
        "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

The family goulash: (sorry, that's just what we call it)

Slice up a potato, about 1/4" or thinner (but not too thin either) slices. Slice up a kielbasa sausage (note: turkey kielbasa is good stuff too). Put these in a deep frying pan with a can of corn (and extra water as needed) to make sure the potatoes will cook. Cover and leave it on the heat (simmer/light boil) until potatoes are soft. Season with a little salt and pepper, and THAT'S IT! It's very hearty, simple food that even guys seem to like. And it couldn't be simpler to make - even Mac and Cheese requires more steps.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Forgot to add: saw this salad the other day, and it was DELISH!

Mesclun mix ("greens")
            Mint leaves mixed in with the greens (great idea!)
            Dried cranberries
            Pine Nuts
            Crumbly cheese (I think it was chevre, but could have been Feta)
            Balsamic vinagrette

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon
              Forgot to add: saw this salad the other day, and it was DELISH!

Mesclun mix ("greens")
              Mint leaves mixed in with the greens (great idea!)
              Dried cranberries
              Pine Nuts
              Crumbly cheese (I think it was chevre, but could have been Feta)
              Balsamic vinagrette
              That sounds delish!!!

I love
              mesclun mix
              pepitas
              cojita cheese
              cilantro
              red onion
              and then a vinagrette or a cilantrol based dressing
              Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon
                The family goulash: (sorry, that's just what we call it)

Slice up a potato, about 1/4" or thinner (but not too thin either) slices. Slice up a kielbasa sausage (note: turkey kielbasa is good stuff too). Put these in a deep frying pan with a can of corn (and extra water as needed) to make sure the potatoes will cook. Cover and leave it on the heat (simmer/light boil) until potatoes are soft. Season with a little salt and pepper, and THAT'S IT! It's very hearty, simple food that even guys seem to like. And it couldn't be simpler to make - even Mac and Cheese requires more steps.

I make a similar dish..but instead of corn, I add diced onion. And sometimes, if I have it, a little beer while it's simmering! Serve it with crusty bread! Yummers! Tastes close to a great dish I had in Germany with little sausages and potatos that were so sweet you would have sworn they were candy!
                Us girls, we're so magical.
                Soft skin, red lips, so kissable.
                Hard to resist, so touchable.
                Too good to deny it.
                Ain't no big deal, it's innocent. :evil:

Comment

Ramen stir fry

1 pkg top ramen noodles (w/out the seasoning packet)
                  1 pkg frozen stirfry veggies
                  1 can water chestnuts (if stir fry veggies do not have them in there)
                  1 can bamboo shoot
                  3 cloves of garlic, minced
                  oil
                  soy sauce
                  hoisin sauce
                  any type of meat (chicken, beef or you could use shrimp or tofu as well), cooked

Bring water to a boil and add top ramen noodles

put enough oil in a pan to lightly cover the bottom. heat and add garlic. cook for 1 min. Add frozen veggies, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. Cook for 3 mins, add hoisin sauce (amount varies, just add to taste. I usually add 3-4 spoonfuls). stir fry for 3-5 mins or until veggies are cooked. Add cooked meat, noodles and soy sauce (to taste). Enjoy!!!

I learned this recipe from a very nice looking Asian guy.....his mom is STILL impressed that I know how to make it. The first time I made it I almost licked my plate. it is sooooooooo good.
                  Katie :yea:
                  Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                  :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dsnylndmom
                    Four Cans Tomato Sauce
                    Sounds good but could you tell me what the size of the cans are or the amount in a measuring cup? Thanks!
                    "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

HELP~ In search of Recipe!

Has anyone ever eaten at Honolulu Harry's? The only one I know of is in Corona off McKinnley. They have the most amazing appetizer- Sweet Potato Stack. It's the yummiest thing ever and I have been craving it like crazy. I was wondering of anyone has tried it and might have any ideas on how to replicate it at home.
                      Last edited by TinkPink; 04-19-2005, 06:22 PM.
                      �In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.� -Michael Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by desertdweller
                        Sounds good but could you tell me what the size of the cans are or the amount in a measuring cup? Thanks!
                        I never measure :o but I use the small cans of tomato sauce if that helps, I think they are 4 oz

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Ah, thanks...I've been lurking in here for the past few days waiting for a reply. Thought so but just wanted a verification.

Comment

Originally posted by TinkPink
                            Has anyone ever eaten at Honolulu Harry's? The only one I know of is in Corona off McKinnley. They have the most amazing appetizer- Sweet Potato Stack. It's the yummiest thing ever and I have been craving it like crazy. I was wondering of anyone has tried it and might have any ideas on how to replicate it at home.

try looking here Stacy:

Sweet Potato Stacks
                            Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                            Help support the site you love:
                            -Visit the MiceChat store
                            Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                            MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Just another reason for me to love you DQ!!! I even saw a clip of that article she quoted on google, but it wouldn't let me open the whole thing! I am so happy to have that, I have been wanting those for so long! I bookmarked it and will try it someday (just started a diet for the first time in like 3 years so I am really gonna try and stick to it)- but one day!
                              �In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.� -Michael Jackson

Comment

Happy to help sweetie! Good luck with the diet- I keep slipping on and off mine But then I think of my skinny mother and hop back on the wagon.

Remember, veggies are good for you - full of vitamins On recipes like that, I try to substitute as much low fat/ fat free stuff as I can in the recipe, as long as it doesn't spoil the taste too much. You will have to tell me how they turn out.

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

Comment

I also have a skinny mother- not to mention I used to be skinny myself! Which makes it all the more difficult being not skinny!

But anyway- you hardly have a thing to worry about!

Comment

Well, I recently lost 45 pounds and I am trying VERY HARD not to let them creep back on, so that is why I am worried. It so hard to be good and soooo easy to be bad!

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

Comment

Sauteed Chicken with Spinach

Since DesertDweller requested it, here's Sauteed Chicken with Spinach from March 2005's Everyday Food Magazine. (Shameless plug - it's a great magazine... every recipe we've tried has been really good! )

Sauteed Chicken with Spinach

1 tablespoon olive oil
                                      4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
                                      1 cup of water
                                      1/4 cup minced shallots
                                      1/4 cup dijon mustard
                                      1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
                                      2 tablespoons butter
                                      1 large bag baby spinach
                                      coarse salt
                                      ground pepper

1) Liberally season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until browned, turning once, 8 to 10 minutes.

2) Add water. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; cover to keep warm.

3) Make mustard sauce: Add minced shallot to same pan; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in mustard and vinegar; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add butter; swirl pan until incorporated. Stir any accumulated chicken juices into sauce.

4) In a medium bowl, toss spinach with half of the mustard sauce. Place chicken on a serving plate; drizzle with remaining sauce. Serve spinach on the side.

My notes - I'm not one to really measure when I'm cooking, so I just play around with the sauce until it tastes yummy! I REALLY like dijon mustard, so I usually adding more... plus, I usually use less shallot and add some minced garlic. Enjoy!
                                      Last edited by MegarooFifi; 04-21-2005, 09:57 PM. Reason: Fixing my horrible typos :-D

Comment

DsnylndMom, love your simple and delicious rice recipe, which went well with the following.

RANCHERO BEEF STEW

Comment

OOh these all sound so good.
                                          Here's my personal fave:

Onion Rings for Dummies
                                          2 large white onions
                                          3 cups regular AP flour (divided)
                                          3 eggs
                                          3 tbs of milk
                                          salt (to taste)
                                          pepper(to taste)
                                          2 tsps garlic powder

Step one:
                                          Divide flour in half and mix the pepper,salt and garlic powder into one half of the flour. Set aside.

Step two:
                                          Break the eggs into a bowl and beat eggs with milk. Set aside.

Step three
                                          Dip onion rings first into plain flour, then egg mixture, then seasoned flour. Set on a plate. Repeat until all onion rings have been dipped in the batter. Cover plate with wrap (I like Saran, although you could use aluminum foil or that new Press N Seal wrap I guess) and let rest in fridge for up to 4 hrs or over night.

DO NOT discard egg mix OR seasoned flour.

Step four:

When the dipped rings have finished resting the first time, re-dip in egg mix and seasoned flour. Let rest a second time and go fix a drink. You deserve it. You've worked HARD on these things.

Step five:
                                          Heat your deep fryer to desired temp ( I set mine on "Holy Crap that's Hot!") and fry rings until crispy. Let rest on a plate with paper towel and sprinkle with more salt, if desired. Let cool until they are cool enough to touch. I enjoy mine dipped in ranch dressing with bacon, but fry sauce or any other dipping sauce of your choice is also acceptable.

My Own Personal Fry Sauce

1/2 cup mayo (I use lite)
                                          1/2 cup ketchup (I like the store brand. I REFUSE to buy Heinz)
                                          1/2 cup mustard

In medium size bowl, mix all three together and salt/pepper if neccessary.

TOV

Hit 'em where it hurts..right in the sales aisle.Help support the 'girl-cotting' of A&F. Pass the word..tell your mom,your sister,your wife and girlfriends.Show your support for women everywhere by supporting the girl-cotting of Abercrombie.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X