• Disneykat
    replied
    Re: Give a Recipe, Take a Recipe

Overdose

2 cups cherrios
    2 cups crispix
    2 cups rice chex
    2 cups small pretzels
    2 packages of vamilla Candy Quik (I find these in the store with all the chocolates chips and other baking items)

Combine all cereals and pretzels. Melt both packages of candy quick and pour over mixture. Mix until all cereal/pretzels are coated. pour mixture onto wax paper and spread out into a thin layer. Once "dry" break off into pieces and serve.

I made this 2 years ago for some friends and they constantly ask me to make it. It's easy and oh so so so good. One of my favorite Christmas treats

Leave a comment:

• baileykat
    replied

Just got done whipping up a batch of this stuff...it's amazing! So good! Better than any caramel corn type stuff I've ever had! And it was wicked easy to make! Just takes an hour of watching it and stirring every little bit! I think I'll have to make another batch Friday! This one will be gone!
    • Sweet Snack Mix
    • 1 (12 ounce) package crispy corn and rice cereal
    • 5 ounces slivered almonds
    • 6 ounces toasted, chopped pecans
    • 3/4 cup butter
    • 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
    • 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
    Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Lightly grease a large roasting pan.
    In a large bowl, mix crispy corn and rice cereal, slivered almonds and toasted, chopped pecans.
    In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and mix with dark corn syrup and light brown sugar. Pour the mixture over the crispy corn and rice cereal mixture. Stir and shake to coat all the nuts and cereal.
    Pour the coated mixture into the prepared roasting pan. Stirring approximately every 15 minutes, cook 1 hour in the preheated oven. Cool on wax paper, and store in airtight containers.

Leave a comment:

• TinkPink
    replied
    Hot Buttered Rum

Hot Buttered Rum

1 cup granuated sugar
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 cup butter
    2 cups *good* vanilla ice cream

Cook butter and sugar in a saucepan on low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.

In another bowl, mix softened ice cream with butter/sugar mixture on medium speed until well combined. This can be stored in the fridge or even frozen.

To serve, combine 1/4 cup mixture with 3/4 simmering water and 1 ounce rum (or more!) Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream.

If you want it virgin, you can use rum extract.

Great Holiday Drink!!

Leave a comment:

• Hyperbole
    replied

Stuff in a Pan (thats the name my daughter gave to this recipie

Brown 1lb ground beef or turkey in a oven safe skillet (I use a black cast iron skillet)

Add the following and stir to combine:

one small can of tomato sauce
    one small can of diced ortega chilies (or jalapenos if you like it spicier)
    one small can of sliced olives (or more per your family's taste)
    one drained can of corn
    one teaspoon of oregano
    one teaspoon of basil
    one tablespoon of chopped garlic
    1/2 teaspoon of salt

Mix one package of Jiffy cornbread mix, and pour evenly over the top of the meat mixture in the skillet.

Bake per the Jiffy instructions for cornbread.

Slice into wedges and serve while hot. We use salsa, guacamole or sour cream as sides.

Yummmmy.

Leave a comment:

• dramaqueen
    replied

mmmm- save some for me Tink- I LOVE baking anything with pumpkin! I don't have time to make them anytime soon, but this is a recipe I will definitely be trying.

Leave a comment:

• TinkPink
    replied
    Pumpkin Cookies! So Good!!

These cookies come out very cakey and soft. The recipe is called Pilgrim Pies and calls to sandwich the cookies with frosting filling. I just frosted them, and didn't sandwich them, so I call it pumpkin cookies. I can't recommend these cookies enough- so good and so easy!

Pumpkin Cookies (or Pilgrim Pies)

2 Eggs
    2 cups light brown sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
    3 cups flour
    1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat the eggs, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until smooth. Stir in the pumpkin. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the egg miture a little at a time, blending each time until smooth.

Drop a tablespoon or so of batter onto an ungreased cookie sheet, using a moist finger to smooth it out (it will bake as you leave it.)

Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.

The recipe calls to make sandwiches out of the cookies by spreading a generous amount of cream cheese frosting on the flat side of a cookie, and topping it with another. I didn't do this. I drizzled the cream cheese frosting over the cookies and left them singles. I purchased cream cheese frosting in a can (but there is a recipe for it below) and then I microwaved a couple spoonfuls at a time until it drizzled off the end of the fork easily and smoothly (this only takes about 5 seconds if you do small bits at a time.)

Cream Cheese Frosting/Filling
    4 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    4-5 cups confectioners' sugar.

Beat together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in a bowl until light and fluffy. Mix in the confectioners' sugar a half cup at a time until the frosting is spreadable.

Let me know if anyone tries them!

Leave a comment:

• mamabot
    replied

Originally posted by desertdweller
    Good question! My one grandmother was a lousy cook but a wonderful baker. Her signature cake was a caramel cake with a caramel frosting. Everyone loved it but she never gave the recipe out. Not even to her daughters who've tried to duplicate it at times but there was something missing.
    Both recipes are family recipes that have been handed down that I haven't asked permission to give out. One is my step-dad's Meat on Bread recipe, which is super yummy, and the kids actually call it Popi Bread. The other is my MILs Chocolate Covered Cherries.

It was next to impossible to get the recipes in the first place. Since they were guarded by the people who handed them down, I have held onto the recipes out of respect.

Leave a comment:

• Disney4Me
    replied

Naughty Martini

In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add 1 1/2 ounce of Amarula, 1 oz of chilled orange pekoe tea (or other black tea) and 1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Shake and strain.

Leave a comment:

• NeverNeverland
    replied

Ooh, those sound good!!! I just might make them!
    I was thinking of those rolls that are... butterfly rolls? That are "sliced" so they look like... fan rolls? I don't know how hard they'd be to do, though.

Leave a comment:

• desertdweller
    replied

These are something different to go with special holiday meals:

PUMPKIN NUTMEG DINNER ROLLS

Leave a comment:

• Churro
    replied

Originally posted by NeverNeverland
    Ok, 'im looking for a recipe for rolls to make at Thanksgiving - NON bread machine!!
    Thanks!
    My auntie makes the best rolls ever! I will see if i can get a recipe out of her....may take a few days though.

Leave a comment:

• desertdweller
    replied

Good question! My one grandmother was a lousy cook but a wonderful baker. Her signature cake was a caramel cake with a caramel frosting. Everyone loved it but she never gave the recipe out. Not even to her daughters who've tried to duplicate it at times but there was something missing.

Leave a comment:

• pixywingz
    replied

Originally posted by mamabot
    We have some good cooks on the site, so why don't we start a recipe swap! I have a couple that I can never give away, but most are fair game. Any recipe will do, even if it is your favorite take-out or frozen meal. Maybe I will even hunt down the description of my favorite way to do Chicken Cordon Bleu someday.

Nachos

Ingredients of your choice:

Tortilla chips
    Shredded Cheese
    Refried Beans
    Meat (we alternate between ground turkey with taco seasonings, salsa chicken, steak or carne asada)

Directions:

Place a layer of tortilla chips on a baking sheet. Lightly sprinkle with the cheese. Top each chip with refried beans. Lightly sprinkle with cheese. Spread the meat over the nachos. Lightly sprinkle with cheese.

Toppings:

Freshly sliced avocado
    Sour Cream
    Salsa
    hi hun....i've got to ask....why exactally is it that people have recipes they "can't give away"..I never could understand this...what exactally will happen? :-) ( i mean this sincerely, I'm not trying to be flippant..just always been curious about this as i'm an avid cook & this has always baffled me)

Leave a comment:

• NeverNeverland
    replied

Ok, 'im looking for a recipe for rolls to make at Thanksgiving - NON bread machine!!
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• MickeysGirl
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Disney4Me
    replied

Originally posted by TinkPink
    I didn't even notice that!! :lmao:

p r i c k the potatos.

:lmao:
    :lmao: I am just here taking a recipe! I will post one once I create something that you won't all gag on.

Leave a comment:

• TinkPink
    replied

Originally posted by baileykat
    Do WHAT to the potatoes???? Isn't this a G rated board...???
    I didn't even notice that!! :lmao:

p r i c k the potatos.

:lmao:

Leave a comment:

• baileykat
    replied

Originally posted by TinkPink
    Baked Potato Soup
    (just like Black Angus')

Wash, dry and ***** potatoes with fork.

Do WHAT to the potatoes???? Isn't this a G rated board...???

Leave a comment:

• TinkPink
    replied

Baked Potato Soup
    (just like Black Angus')

4 large baking potatoes
    2/3 cup butter or margarine
    2/3 cup flour
    6 cups milk
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp white pepper
    4 green onions -- chopped and divided
    12 slices bacon -- cooked and crumbled
    1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese -- shredded and divided
    8 ounces sour cream

Wash, dry and ***** potatoes with fork. Bake in 400°F oven for 1 hour or until done. Let cool. Cut into half lengthwise and scoop out pulp; set aside. Use skins for something else, such as stuffed potato skins. Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, 2 Tbs. green onion, half the bacon and 1 cup cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in sour cream. Add extra milk if necessary for desired consistency. Serve with remaining green onions, bacon and cheese.

I usually leave out the bacon, both to save money and calories!
    My family loves this stuff!!

Leave a comment:

• Hyperbole
    replied

Originally posted by hakuna makarla
    Ok I need help!!!
    I baked a chicken tonight and would like to use the left overs for tomorrows dinner. the problem is we hate left over chicken. its dry and well yucky! I need a recipe so I can use this chicken. Please, if any of you cooks can helP I would appreciate it. ( low cal to please we are watching our calorie intake)
    one more thing, how do I do stir fry? LOw cal to thank you so much, I really need to learn to cook!

A little late, but I usually use leftover chicken in tacos or make some soup out of it (depending on how much you have left).

For tacos, heat up some shredded chicken and taco sauce together (I like La Victoria's green taco sauce). Pop it in the taco shells with lettuce, avocado, cheese, etc. Very easy to make.

For soup, cube your leftover chicken, add it and some chopped veggies to a pot (I like using carrots, celery, onion, garlic and leeks). Add enough water to cover all the veggies, plus about 1 inch above that. Throw in a couple of chicken bullion cubes. Bring to a boil and cook until the veggies are tender. If you'd like to add squash or zucchini, add slices at the end, and only cook for 5 minutes or so.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X