X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disneymeimei
    replied
    Re: Give a Recipe, Take a Recipe

Oh Boy! Recipes! You gals may just inspire me to start cooking again. I kind of went on strike for a few years...well, not really, but it wasn't much fun anymore.

Here is one of my favorites:

Tomato-Basil squares:

Pizza dough (you can use refrigerated or you own recipe)
    2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
    1 ounce fresh parmesan cheese (I use the stuff in the green can when I don't have fresh).
    2 tablespoons fresh basil (again, I will use dried when I don't have fresh)
    2/3 cup mayo
    1 garlic clove (you can substitue garlic powder if you don't have a clove handy)
    4 plum/romano tomatoes, thinly sliced.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, roll out your crust on a cookie sheet (I use stones, Pampered Chef - originator of this recipe!). Sprinkle one cup of mozzarella over the crust. Mix parmesan, basil, remaining mozzarella, mayonnaise in a bowl and mix well. Press garlic over mixture (or add the powder). Place the tomatoes in a single layer over the mozzarella on the crust. Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the tomatoes. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the top is golden and bubbly. Serve warm. I think it is supposed to be an appetizer, but we like it for dinner!

Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• mamabot
    replied
    Re: Give a Recipe, Take a Recipe

We really need to revive this thread!

Last night's dinner was super easy.

Chicken Tender Dunkers

Chicken Tenders
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Olive Oil Spray (if you grill them)

I used my dual burner grill, which fit one package of chicken tenders at a time. Cook a couple minute per side. Serve with everyones favorite dipping sauces. Here is what we used last night:

Teriyaki sauce
    BBQ sauce
    Thai peanut sauce
    Buffalo sauce with ranch dressing (I have had the biggest craving for this lately)

Leave a comment:

• dsnylndmom
    replied
    Originally posted by neuhickman80
    Does anyone have a good pizza sauce recipe?

I'm gonna make my baby homemade pizza this weekend....
    REALLLY REALLLLY late but the pizza dough from TJ's, the garlic herb one is simply wonderful!

Leave a comment:

• desertdweller
    replied
    Reuben twice-baked potatoes

For those of you who love the classic flavors of a Reuben sandwich here's a different approach. Add a big salad and you have a meal.

Makes 4 potatoes - Total Time: 1/1/2 hours

4 russet potatoes, scrubbed, dried and pierced
    1 T. olive oil
    2 t. kosher or sea salt
    2 T. unsalted butter
    1 cup onion, chopped
    1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, drained
    1 t. caraway seeds
    1 cup corned beef or pastrami, thinkly sliced and chopped
    1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
    1 T. minced fresh chives
    Russian Dressing

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Rub potatoes with oil and salt and bake on a sheet lined with foil for 1 hour, or until tender when pierced. Cool till easy to handle.

Cut 1/2" cap lengthwise off the top of the postatoes. Scoop out the potato leaving about a 1/4" thick wall, reserve flesh and place the shells back on the baking sheet. Preheat broiler to high with rack in the top third.

Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onions 3 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add sauerkraut, caraway and potato flesh and saute 3 more minutes. Off heat, stir in corned beef/pastrami.

Spoon the potato mixture into shells, then top each with 1/4 cup cheese. Broil 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with chives and serve with Russian Dressing on the side.

Anyone want a simple recipe for Russian Dressing, let me know.

Leave a comment:

• desertdweller
    replied
    Neuhickman80:

This post is weeks after your request but you can put it in your file to try the next time you make pizza. Pretty quick, basic and I've been using it for years.

PIZZA SAUCE

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less, but requires additional unattended time.

1 - 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes in puree (preferably Italian; about 3 1/2 cups)
    3 tablespoons olive oil

In a large non-reactive saucepan bring tomatoes and oil to a simmer and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes, or until sauce is reduces to about 2 1/2 cups. Season sauce with salt and cool to room temperature. (Sauce keeps, covered and chilled, 5 days.)

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

I also like to add a clove of crushed garlic, Italian seasonings or basil and maybe some diced fresh tomatoes for texture.

Leave a comment:

• Marie
    replied
    I just had this last night for the first time, and it's EXCELLENT. It's a recipe from this week's Safeway sale circular, and other than Vons, I don't know what's equivalent to Safeway in other areas of the US (I think Genuardi's is, but other than that I'm not sure). If you recognize the "(insert store name here) SELECT" brand of products, that's where you'd go to get the products named in this recipe. Or, you can improvise. But here goes.

Cranberry Orange Turkey Salad

1 pkg Safeway Select Harvest Medley Greens with frosted almonds & dried cranberries
    8 oz deli roast turkey, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (ask the deli counterperson to slice it 1/2 inch thick)
    1/2 cup (4 oz) deli Swiss cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (same)
    1/2 cup thinly sliced celery (optional...I had it without and it was still good)
    1 15-oz can mandarin orange segments, drained
    1 16-oz bottle Safeway Select Spiced Cranberry & Orange Dressing
    salt and pepper to taste

In a salad bowl, toss together greens with almonds and dried cranberries, turkey, cheese and celery. Add mandarin oranges and mix in gently. Add as much dressing as desired. Toss and season with salt and pepper.

Leave a comment:

• MegarooFifi
    replied
    Since I made this the other night, I thought I'd post this recipe... I'm not a measurer at all, so you'll have to bear with me if I don't put exact amounts. It's a really good super easy and quick recipe a co-worker gave me years ago.

Quick 'n Easy Tortilla Soup
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 large onion, chopped
    1lb of lean ground beef (you can also use less, or use ground soy meat or turkey if watching fat/calories)
    Chili powder to taste
    Dash of cumin
    2 bay leaves
    1 14 oz can kidney beans, not drained
    1 14 oz can corn, not creamed and not drained
    1 14 oz can diced stewed (mexican style if you can find it) tomatoes, not drained
    1 bag of tortilla chips
    Shredded cheese
    Chopped fresh cilantro
    Sour cream
    Chopped canned green chilies
    Limes

In a large pot, sautee the onions and garlic in the olive oil until soft and golden. Add ground beef and sautee until fully cooked. Add chili powder and cumin to taste. Add kidney beans, corn, tomatoes and bay leaves and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat to simmer and season with salt and pepper. If you wish, add more chili powder and cumin to taste. Remove bay leaves.

To serve, place a handful of tortilla chips in the bottom of an individual serving bowl. Sprinkle (or dump! ) the shredded cheese on top. Ladle soup over top of the chips and cheese and top off with sour cream, chopped chilies and cilantro. Serve with 2 wedges of lime to be squeezed over top of the soup.

This makes a large pot (which I believe is 4 quarts).

It's kind of hard to screw up this recipe, to be quite honest. You can use larger cans of beans, corn and tomatoes, just try and keep them similar in size. (Though I have used the 19 oz cans of tomatoes before it and it was still really good!) Everything's pretty much to taste... and sometimes I throw chopped jalepenos on top as well.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Leave a comment:

• dramaqueen
    replied
    LOL- This is soo funny- TinkPink made those cookies this weekend too! I just think its funny that both had such good results- I am glad you liked them!!!!!!

I have to be careful not to make these too often- my hubby can eat a while batch of the pudding cookies and I can eat all the brownies at once

Leave a comment:

• DisquietingMetamorphosis
    replied
    Oh my goodness, you must try dramaqueen's "Triple Dessert Brownie" recipe! Its finals week at UCLA, and as usual, I have the urge to bake and procrastinate rather than study. They are super easy and delicous, and my honey is hooked! Next up... dramaqueen's chocolate pudding cookies!

Leave a comment:

• neuhickman80
    replied
    Does anyone have a good pizza sauce recipe?

I'm gonna make my baby homemade pizza this weekend....

Leave a comment:

• neuhickman80
    replied

Leave a comment:

• neuhickman80
    replied
    Originally posted by dsnylndmom
    I never measure :o but I use the small cans of tomato sauce if that helps, I think they are 4 oz
    I'm with her on that one... i rarely if ever measure... unless i am baking something....

Leave a comment:

• CinderellaPrincess
    replied
    Here's my favorite and easiest dish of all time...also great for potlucks!!

Sour Cream Enchilladas

3-4 chicken breasts
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    small container of sour cream
    2 small cans of diced green chillis
    1 medium onion diced
    12 corn tortillas (or one bag) torn into bitesize pieces
    2 cups shredded cheese (in the bag if yer lazy like me)

Season chicken breasts w/ salt and pepper. Broil in a pan 1/2 filled w/ water until completely cooked.

Remove from water and chop into bite size pieces.
    In large bowl add all ingredients including chopped chicken.
    Refrigerate overnight (crucial step, not sure why).
    Bake in a 9x11 casserole dish at 350 for 45 mins or until brown on the top and bubbly..

Waaay simple and delish!!!!
    Enjoy!! You won't be dissapointed!

Leave a comment:

• Tui
    replied
    My mom makes these, not too spicy but so good and pretty filling as well

Chicken Enchiladas

1 can refried beans 10 flour tortillas
    3 cups shredded cheddar cheese 1 can cream of chicken
    2 cans enchilada sauce 1 cup sour cream
    3-4 cups chicken; cooked & cubed 1/4 cup sliced green onions
    1/4 cup sliced black olives shredded lettuce (optional)
    Spread about 2 Tbsp. of beans on each tortilla. In a bowl combine soup &
    sour cream; stir in chicken. Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cup down the center of each
    tortilla; top with 1 Tbsp. cheese. Roll-up & place seam side down in a
    greased 9x13 baking dish. Pour enchilada sauce over top; sprinkle with
    onions, black olives & remaining cheese. Bake uncovered at 350* for 35
    minutes or until heated through. Just before serving sprinkle lettuce around
    enchiladas if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.

Leave a comment:

• preppygirl
    replied
    Gooey Butter Cake
    Very rich and good.
    1 (16 ounce) package pound cake mix
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
    4 large eggs, divided
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, divided
    1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels

55 minutes 15 mins prep

Beat cake mix, butter, and 2 eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
    Pour batter into a lightly greased 13x9 inch pan.
    Beat remaining 2 eggs, cream cheese, and 1 cup powdered sugar at medium speed until smooth.
    Pour over cake batter; sprinkle evenly with chocolate morsels.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
    Cool cake in pan on a wire rack.
    Sprinkle cake evenly with remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar.

ENJOY

Leave a comment:

• StitchTT6
    replied
    For The Crockpot!

Pork Chops Abracadabra

6 Pork Chops
    1 Can Cream Of Mushroom Soup
    1 Can Cream Of Chicken Soup
    1 Can Chicken And Rice Soup
    1 1/2 Cups Barbque Sauce

Mix All Together In Crock pot
    Cook On Low For 6-8 Hours

Serve With Rice Or Mashed Potatoes

Leave a comment:

• desertdweller
    replied
    I'll ressurect this thread which I love. Made your pudding cookies DQ and they were fabulous! We're on a main course salad binge here since it's not wise to heat up the kitchen too much. Cold soups, salads, grilled meats and fruit will be most of our menu during the hot months.

I first started eating Salad Nicoise in the South of France 40 years ago and never get tired of it. Thought some of you would like to add it to your summer menus:

Salad Items:
    6 small New Potatoes, boiled or steamed, then cooled and halved
    1 pound green beans, steamed and blanched
    1/2 pound mixed greens
    1 cup artichoke hearts
    6 tomato wedges
    3 hard boiled eggs, halved
    1/2 cup black olives, preferably nicoise or the Greek kalamatas which have more flavor
    1 (6-ounce) can tuna packed in water
    4 - 6 anchovy filets (traditional but can be eliminated)

Vinaigrette:
    3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon garlic, smashed with salt until paste
    Pepper to taste
    9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

In a bowl, whisk together white wine, Dijon, garlic, and pepper. Drizzle in olive oil while whisking constantly. Arrange salad decoratively on a platter. Drizzle with the dressing.
    Last edited by desertdweller; 06-07-2005, 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• dsnylndmom
    replied
    Originally posted by desertdweller
    Sounds great!...and beautiful to look at also. Thanks.
    You know it really was! LOL I'm glad I"m not the only one that thinks like that. The boys were making fun of me and said "stop arranging and just eat"

Leave a comment:

• desertdweller
    replied
    Sounds great!...and beautiful to look at also. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• dsnylndmom
    replied
    Originally posted by desertdweller
    Thought I'd share a salad that we really like in the summer. It's a nice change from the mixed greens and pasta salads and a good way to cut down on your fat content. I eyeball it so really don't have measurements.

Chopped Peeled and Seeded Cucumber
    Chopped Orange segments (I like pink or red Grapefruit also)
    Chopped Green Onion
    Bean Sprouts
    Chopped Cilantro
    Minced Fresh Ginger (about a Tablespoon)
    Fresh Ground Pepper
    Salt
    Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
    Rice Wine Vinegar

That sounds delish!! I had a wonderful pasta salad with baby spinach yesterday and didn't get a chance to get the recipe. But I know that it was bowtie pasta
    baby spinach
    black olive
    red pepper
    red onion
    fresh parm cheese
    I think it was a lemon garlic vinagrette
    It was wonderful and light

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X