X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican Food Recipes

Hey Everyone...
    I was just informed that my parents are coming up in 2 weeks to visit me. I want to supprise them with a welcome party which will include 50+ people. After thinking for a while I came up with a fiesta themed party. This is where you guys come in: I need good food and good recipes, so if you have any good Mexican recipes please post them it will be greatly appreciated! I need 5 appatizer choices, 6 main meal choices, and 4 dessert choices along with 10 beverage choices. Note: there will be kids at this party.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Re: Mexican Food Recipes

My family loves this dip - I personally hate beans, but what do I know. It's a pampered chef recipe, so it's really easy.

Black Bean Salsa Dip
    sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

Here's my rice recipe, it always gets good reviews.
      Two Cups White Rice
      Two Cans Chicken Broth
      Four Cans Tomato Sauce
      Garlic cloves to taste
      1 small white onion

heat olive oil in a large skillet, when the skillet it hot pour in the rice until just turning colors, add garlic and onion. When the rice starts to brown add the tomato sauce and broth, cover and simmer on med-low for 20 minutes, stirring throughout.

That's it! It sounds simple and bland but it's soooooo good.

I would suggest a taco bar. Make seasoned ground beef or turkey, seasoned chicken either shredded or chunked and refried bean(use a crock pot!) and black beans then have all your taco toppings out, with cheese, sour cream and a few choices of tortillas. It's simple and works great for a crowd

For appetizers I'd go with chips and salsa and chips and guacamole. For my salsa I use:
      Tomtatoes, I like hot house for salsa
      green onions
      large red onion
      large bunch of cilantro
      jalapeno
      lime

Just blend it together if you like a smooth salsa or dice everything and toss if you like a texture more like pico

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

My enchiladas are amazing.

Inside:
        I put a 1.5 pound pork loin and a bottle of Trader Joes enchilada sauce in my slower cooker all day on low. Then add 3 cups cooked rice, 2 cups shredded cheese, 1 can chopped olives, 1 can organic black refried beans, 1/2 white onion chopped and stir.

I put a 1/3 cup canola oil in a frying pan, and lightly fry each tortilla before before rolling them full of the inside stuff. When each pan is full (usually makes about 15 enchiladas), I top with another bottle of enchilada sauce, grated cheese and green onions and bake until the cheese is melted. I top with fresh cilantro.

Delish. I top them with homemade guacamole. I also make fresh salsa and serve with chips and various types of hummus.

Good luck!

I also like making chicken quesadillas. I use whole wheat tortillas, grilled chicken breasts (marinaded in taco sauce), and pepperjack cheese. I cook them on my electric skillet to make them crispy on the outside.

Comment

Yummy, both these recipes sound great! Thanks
          "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

For the non meat eaters I do a lower fat version of chili rellano. It's my own recipe.

Roasted Polana Chilis, stuff w/a mixture of refried beans, avocado & lowfat cream cheese all mixed together. Spray pam in the bottom of baking dish & place chilis inside. Cover w/enchilada sauce or make your own.
            Take dried Chipotle chilis & soak in boiling water for 1/2 hour. Use as many as you like depending on your tolerance for heat. Chipotles can be hot. You can also mix other chilis in if your want. Heat crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce & skip the blender part in pan w/garlic, cumin & mild chili powder. Blend w/soaked chilis & add chicken broth for consitancy. You want if the be like a thinner spaghetti sauce. Pour over chilis to cover.
            Top w/shredded mozzerella, Chedder & goat cheese.
            Bake 45 min in a 400 degree oven.
            sigpic
            Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.

Comment

We mix half velveeta (I know, so non traditional) and half mexican queso (cheese designed to be heated into the dip) with a salsa of choice.

Pretty darn good.

We serve with warm tortillas and tortilla chips.
              "But every night, when it gets dark
              and the stars come out,
              I'll look up on her behalf.
              I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Comment

I make a dip using a tub of sour cream with a sachet of taco seasoning stirred in and topped with chopped green onions
                I also make these
                Sour cream enchilladas
                Ingredients

Easy Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Ingredients3-4 cups Cooked chicken (or turkey), shredded or cut into 1/2 inch chunks7 oz. Can chopped ortega style chiles16 oz. Sour cream1 can Cream of chicken soup3 cups Shredded jack or cheddar cheese (plus a little extra to sprinkle on top)10 Flour tortillas
                Preparation

Mix ortega chiles, 3/4 of sour cream (save rest for garnish) and soup. Then take approximately 1/4th of this mixture and mix with cut up chicken. Fill flour tortillas with a scoop of chicken mixture and handful of cheese. Roll enchilada style. Take another 1/4th of sauce mixture and spread in bottom of greased baking pan. Place enchiladas on sauce. Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce and cover baking pan with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30-35 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake another 5 minutes. Garnish with tomatoes, lettuce and sour cream if desired.

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
                Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
                Originally Posted by MWalton
                :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

Comment

I like making this for for video nights sometimes. I've made it for work potlucks too and always got rave compliments.

Easy Bean Dip/Queso

1 Can Campbell's Fiesta Cheddar Cheese Soup (or regular cheddar cheese soup if you don't want it spicy)
                  1 Can Campbell's Chili Beef Soup
                  1 small can chopped/peeled green chilies
                  2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (or you can use the colby/jack blend if needed)

Dump all contents into a large, microwave-safe bowl. Mix well.
                  Microwave for 5 minutes, stir, microwave for another 3-5 minutes until all shredded cheese is melted.

Stir.... and enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by tassie View Post
                    I make a dip using a tub of sour cream with a sachet of taco seasoning stirred in and topped with chopped green onions
                    I also make these
                    Sour cream enchilladas
                    Ingredients

Easy Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Ingredients3-4 cups Cooked chicken (or turkey), shredded or cut into 1/2 inch chunks7 oz. Can chopped ortega style chiles16 oz. Sour cream1 can Cream of chicken soup3 cups Shredded jack or cheddar cheese (plus a little extra to sprinkle on top)10 Flour tortillas
                    Preparation

Mix ortega chiles, 3/4 of sour cream (save rest for garnish) and soup. Then take approximately 1/4th of this mixture and mix with cut up chicken. Fill flour tortillas with a scoop of chicken mixture and handful of cheese. Roll enchilada style. Take another 1/4th of sauce mixture and spread in bottom of greased baking pan. Place enchiladas on sauce. Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce and cover baking pan with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30-35 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake another 5 minutes. Garnish with tomatoes, lettuce and sour cream if desired.
                    I used to make these years ago but lost my recipe. I have been looking for the recipe for a long time but none of the recipes are quite the same. But THIS IS IT EXACTLY! THANK YOU!!!

Comment

Something that could fall into the appetizer category is a nice stuffed squash. My grandma makes them and I LOVE them.

Squash/Zuchinni
                      Monterey Jack Cheese
                      Ham
                      Pepper

Cut the squash/zuchinni in half, with a spoon scoop out the seeds so that you have space to put in the ham/cheese mix. For the ham/cheese mix cut the slices of ham in small squares. Mix the ham with the cheese and stuff the squash/zuchinni with it. Sprinkle pepper to taste. Place into a toaster oven and remove when cheese is melted and browned.

A cool little activity for the kids could be making their own tortillas (with adult supervision of course). You can buy masa most places, and all the kids need to do is form the tortilla and have an adult place it on a hot griddle to cook. The tortilla, while warm can be sprinkled with salt down the middle and squished into a roll for the kids to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by JosieGirl71 View Post
                        I used to make these years ago but lost my recipe. I have been looking for the recipe for a long time but none of the recipes are quite the same. But THIS IS IT EXACTLY! THANK YOU!!!

LOL LOL you are most welcome!!

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
                        Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
                        Originally Posted by MWalton
                        :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

Comment

My husband loves Mexican food, and I have a talent for being able to taste something and then replicate it at home, so I have developed pretty good recipes. Here's a list:

Honey lime chicken
                          Beef or pork tamales (lots of work but really good and can be made a day or two ahead)
                          Beef or chicken fajitas
                          Shredded beef or pork for filling tacos, burritos and enchiladas, or topping nachos
                          Pork carnitas
                          Guacamole
                          Sweet corn cake
                          Mexican rice

Let me know what sounds good, and I'll send the recipes to you either on this forum, if other people want them, or by e-mail.
                          Don't make me come in there!

Comment

Yum! Can you please give me the chicken & beef fajita recipe along with the sweet corn cakes Thanks!

Originally posted by MotherPenguin View Post
                            My husband loves Mexican food, and I have a talent for being able to taste something and then replicate it at home, so I have developed pretty good recipes. Here's a list:

Honey lime chicken
                            Beef or pork tamales (lots of work but really good and can be made a day or two ahead)
                            Beef or chicken fajitas
                            Shredded beef or pork for filling tacos, burritos and enchiladas, or topping nachos
                            Pork carnitas
                            Guacamole
                            Sweet corn cake
                            Mexican rice

Let me know what sounds good, and I'll send the recipes to you either on this forum, if other people want them, or by e-mail.

Comment

You bet.
                              Both are incredibly easy.

For the fajitas, marinate either steaks or boneless, skinless chicken breasts in fat-free Italian dressing for at least an hour, but it can be for all day. Plan on 1 chicken breast or 1/2 pound of steak per person. Zipper bags work great for this.
                              After the meat has marinated, just grill it, then cut it into strips. Serve with tortillas, grilled onions and peppers (you can broil these in the oven in quantity in a cake pan, brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper), cheese, sour cream, guacamole, whatever you like.

For the sweet corn cake, use two Marie Callendar corn bread mixes. Mix them with as much water as is called for on the package, then stir in 1 can of creamed corn. You can add a can of mild chiles if you want to, also. Pour into a greased or non-stick foil lined 13x9 pan. Bake it at the temperature called for in the directions, but for about 15 minutes longer. It should be set but not firm, and just starting to brown. When you serve it, use a spoon. It won't cut into slices, it's too soft.

Just for fun, I'm going to give you the honey lime chicken, too. You marinate chicken parts (with bone and skin, or at least skin) in Italian dressing, then either cook the chicken in the oven at 350 until done (about 30 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces, if you use just wings or drumsticks, about 15 minutes) or grill it. Mix 1/2 cup of honey with 1/4 cup of lime juice and 2 tsp of salt. Brush it over the cooked chicken and return it to the oven or grill for about 10 minutes. Kids love it, especially the drumsticks.

Enjoy your party, and let me know if you want any other recipes.
                              Last edited by MotherPenguin; 10-17-2007, 02:58 PM. Reason: forgot a step. oops!
                              Don't make me come in there!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X