This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving With Safety Razors

I'm sick of spending tons of money on Mach 3 or Fusion cartridges. Does anyone here have any experience with double edged safety razors or even straight razors? I'm looking to save money and get a closer shave and I'm wondering if this is the right way to go. Thanks a bunch!
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Re: Shaving With Safety Razors

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
    I'm sick of spending tons of money on Mach 3 or Fusion cartridges. Does anyone here have any experience with double edged safety razors or even straight razors? I'm looking to save money and get a closer shave and I'm wondering if this is the right way to go. Thanks a bunch!
    I hate purchasing razors - I usually go with disposable myself.........but I should think the straight razor would be good. I might be a bit scared to try it out, though. Although, my Barber uses a straight edge razor........caught me off guard at first, but he knows what he's doing.

My Grandpa used to used double edged safety razors.....

Not much help here, I know.......sorry

Comment

I only have experience with legs, but I have to use razors with three blades and a pivoting head.

Comment

have you tried an electric razor? My husband has VERY sensitive skin and hates shaving, but, since he's military, has to everyday. A couple of years ago for Christmas I bought him an electric razor. He loves it, and has now bought another one. You only have to change the blades about every 18 months. They get really close and in the long run can save you money. The replacement blades are kinda expensive...(around $40), but, you can find good deals on Ebay for about half price. And, like I said....they only need replacing about every 18 months or so.

Comment

Can't stand electric razors.

Comment

Initial investment is pretty significant for a straight razor and strop. While I was at it, I also picked up a bayrum shaving soap, soap brush and mug. It takes a while to get used to it. Expect lots of nicks until you get the hang of it. It also takes about twice as long to shave with a straight razor so give yourself time. It is definitely a closer shave.
            Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Not a straight razor, a safety razor.

Comment

Sorry, I must have misunderstood you.
                Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Tons of money? I buy the bulk pack of cartridges for my Excel at Costco for twenty bucks. Easily lasts over six months. I would spend more than that buying individual safety razor packs at the local supermarket.

I found it takes me a bit longer to shave with safety razor than the multi-blade cartridge systems. They are a bit cheaper. Not all that much difference in the general scheme of things.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

I used to buy my Mach 3 refills at the OC swap meet when I did my produce shopping. You can get them for about half the price of the stores.
                    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                      Sorry, I must have misunderstood you.
                      Sorry. I haven't slept. Forgot to reread the first post.

Comment

I'm sick of spending tons of money on Mach 3 or Fusion cartridges.
                        Not a straight razor, a safety razor.
                        I think a beard is the best solution here. And cheapest. You'd look good with a full beard, BB.
                        A big ZZ Top one. Tuck it in your pants.

'Course there's always 'Save-A-Blade':
                        Save A Blade - The Official Site of AsSeenOnTV.com

Comment

My BF uses and electric razor. It shaves really close, but it was around $200.00.

Comment

Although I use disposables regularly, I do have a safety razor as a backup.

This is the one I use, the German-made Merkur Safety Razor with Bar. It's an expensive initial investment (and mine's on the cheap end), but blades themselves aren't too bad, price-wise.

Check out this site as well: Straight Razors - Safety Razors - Wet Shaving & Grooming Supplies

Or this one: eBarbershop.com - Classic, Nostalgic Toiletries & Gifts For Men

Or this one (good prices on blades here): Straight Double Edge Razor : Shaving Products Supplies : Dovo Safety Razor : Badger Shaving Brush : Men's Grooming Products : VintageBladesllc.com

If price really is an issue for you right now, check out this safety razor: Diamond Edge Classic Safety Razor And Blades ::Cosmetic Solutions

That and a mug of shaving soap and a brush (like this one from Burma Shave) and you're all set.

Comment

I never really liked the 'Remington' style with the foil and the comb cutter underneath - it doesn't cut the hairs as much as tear them out by the roots...

Then I tried a Norelco rotary, and the angels sang... :yea: It actually cuts, and does it well. Takes a bit of getting used to, so give it a few weeks.

Costco usually has them on special a few times a year, and you can get it for under $100. Or you can shop for a good price at places like Wal-Mart or Fry's. (They make "Deluxe" models with lotion dispensers and self cleaners and other falderol, but why?)

You want to look for one of the complete packages with the 12V Car Charger and the 'Hard Travel Case' too, they cost far more as separate accessories. Because you'll grab it to shave on the run to where you need to be, and then see the batteries are dead...

Clean it out every few days, and you need to change the cutter heads once a year - or the head wears through and jams, and the sudden stop will strip out the drive gear, and now you have a two-head razor instead of three... (DAMHIKT. That one's now the Backup, have to send it in.)

And after about five years you have to pop it open (mini-Torx) and replace the two Solder-Tab AA Ni-Cd batteries.

--<< Bruce >>--
                              There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X