Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comic book Heros!?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Comic book Heros!?

    Ok I prety much know what most of the "Superheros" Powers where, for example Superman was the man of Steal, Flash Gordon could run fast and Wonder woman had big taa taas and made me watch every show she did.

    Now what the H E double hockey sticks was Shazams power and what the heck kinda name is Shazam!?



    whos your favorite Hero!?


    Im going with Superman.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

  • #2
    Re: Comic book Heros!?

    I think you might mean "The Flash," not "Flash Gordon." The Flash, aka Wally West, was the one who went super-fast.

    As for SHAZAM, he was sometimes called Captain Marvel and was bestowed gifts:

    Solomon's wisdom
    Hercules's strength
    Atlas' stamina
    Zeus' power
    Achilles' courage
    Mercury's speed.

    By calling out the name SHAZAM, these powers were manifest.

    I could go into more detail, but then my geekiness measurements would fly off the scale.

    My favorite heroes? I could go on and on. I like Batman, Alpha Flight, all the "X" titles, Dr. Fate, the Demon Etrigan, Mr. Incredible (Disney was obviously trying for my attention by making a really good superhero movie) and the Titans (aka the Teen Titans that, well, since the title as been out---aren't exactly teens anymore).

    Strangely, I've not read many comic books as of late.

    Oh well.

    Does that help?

    Peace out,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Comic book Heros!?

      Was he a Marvel and was he part of the Justice Leauge or was he with some one else. How about the Green Lantern?
      Come to the dark side,
      we have cookies.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Comic book Heros!?

        His lightening was his "power".

        Oh, and my favorite super hero is/was Impulse. He was a cool little dude.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Comic book Heros!?

          Shazam never had any 'lightning' - the lightning bolt came from the gods, transforming Billy Batson into Captain Marvel. Green Lantern never had any 'lightning' either - his power ring gave him his power, although GL could will the power to manifest itself however he wanted.

          Yeah, pseudo-geek here...

          And my favorite superhero was always Spiderman - kinda the "I don't wanna be a hero"-type of hero.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Comic book Heros!?

            Originally posted by Mr.DooDah
            Was he a Marvel and was he part of the Justice Leauge or was he with some one else. How about the Green Lantern?
            Get ready for some maximum geekage here...

            Capt. Marvel was the star of the now defunct Fawcett Comics, that early on even outsold Superman. Superman publishers knowledgable of this, sued saying that Captain Marvel (the Big Red Cheese) was too similar to Superman and resulted in copyright infringement, tying Fawcett comics up in an enternal and costly legal battle. Afterwards, DC Comics just plain bought Fawcett Comics out, so now Captain Marvel can fight alongside Superman in the DC Universe.
            Captain Marvel is part of the Justice Society, similar to the league but mostly composed of old school superheroes from the 40sand their progeny and sidekicks.

            Green Lantern? Which one?
            Green Lantern I, Alan Scott (the guy with the red shirt and cape) was part of the Justice Society and has been there forever, but recently has taken a key role in another organization known as checkmate.
            Green Lantern Kyle Rayner was the last Green Lantern to be apart of the Justice League, but like all of the others, except Alan, it is unknown whether they are part of the Justice League since recently the Justice League had broken up, and is currently coming back together, the roster still has not been made public.
            The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Comic book Heros!?

              Originally posted by mrmainstreet
              Get ready for some maximum geekage here...

              Capt. Marvel was the star of the now defunct Fawcett Comics, that early on even outsold Superman. Superman publishers knowledgable of this, sued saying that Captain Marvel (the Big Red Cheese) was too similar to Superman and resulted in copyright infringement, tying Fawcett comics up in an enternal and costly legal battle. Afterwards, DC Comics just plain bought Fawcett Comics out, so now Captain Marvel can fight alongside Superman in the DC Universe.
              Captain Marvel is part of the Justice Society, similar to the league but mostly composed of old school superheroes from the 40sand their progeny and sidekicks.

              Green Lantern? Which one?
              Green Lantern I, Alan Scott (the guy with the red shirt and cape) was part of the Justice Society and has been there forever, but recently has taken a key role in another organization known as checkmate.
              Green Lantern Kyle Rayner was the last Green Lantern to be apart of the Justice League, but like all of the others, except Alan, it is unknown whether they are part of the Justice League since recently the Justice League had broken up, and is currently coming back together, the roster still has not been made public.

              Freaking Awesome that you know this, I was talking of Alan.

              Ok a little off subject but have you heard of Malibu Comics, because I have a few of those which include Pantera and Santana comic books not super heros of course. But is Malibu Comics still around and can they compete with the big boys?
              Come to the dark side,
              we have cookies.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Comic book Heros!?

                Originally posted by Mr.DooDah
                Ok a little off subject but have you heard of Malibu Comics, because I have a few of those which include Pantera and Santana comic books not super heros of course. But is Malibu Comics still around and can they compete with the big boys?
                Heard of them, but don't know anything. A quick Wikipedia search indicates that Malibu Comics has been bought out by Marvel and basically dismantled for their facilities. So, it sounds like it is dead.
                The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Comic book Heros!?

                  Originally posted by mrmainstreet
                  Heard of them, but don't know anything. A quick Wikipedia search indicates that Malibu Comics has been bought out by Marvel and basically dismantled for their facilities. So, it sounds like it is dead.
                  Yep Malibu is dead. There are apparently some rights issues that are not allowing them to publish titles like Prime anymore (though what those rights issues are I do not know). There has been some talk from Marvel about getting those issues straightened out.

                  Actually John Stewart was the most recent GL in the Justice League. They probably wanted more synergy with the Justice League cartoons.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Comic book Heros!?

                    ok...why is this in the guys section? Like us girls can't read comics? Anyway...my favorite "super hero" was Catwoman. The comic of her own that came out around 1998. She was cool. She was feminine, but, independent, and a thief. She wasn't really a superhero...she stole..hello. But, she did do good every now and then.

                    Other than that. Batman has roots with me. I remember reading my dad's comics, and begging to stay up late and watch the old Batman show. But, I've come to appreciate Spiderman and most of Stan Lee's work. It amazes me how he comes up with this stuff. Oh, and I've gotten interested in Xmen, too. The whole Stan Lee; thing.



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Comic book Heros!?

                      Originally posted by Stitchy-poo
                      ok...why is this in the guys section? Like us girls can't read comics?
                      Any girl that reads comics and plays well with boys is a friend of the lost boys!
                      Come to the dark side,
                      we have cookies.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Comic book Heros!?

                        Here's what I read each month (or whenever the issue actually comes out).

                        Marvel Comics: Captain America, Daredevil, Thunderbolts, New Avengers, Punisher, X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, Runaways, Ms. Marvel, Fantastic Four, Civil War, Annihilation.

                        DC Comics: 52, Secret Six, JLA, JSA, Teen Titans, Planetary, upcoming: Wildcats, Gen13, Authority

                        Image: Invincible (in hardcover format)

                        There's probably a few I am forgeting.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Comic book Heros!?

                          About a year ago, I totally stopped reading comic books. Money and time being the major culprits. I missed my titles--but I figured I'd just have to accept it.

                          Then my partner bought "City of Heroes" PC game. YOu know the one--where you make a character and go online and beat up baddies (I've known of City of Villains, just haven't gotten around to it). Now I am a hero! So, guess what? I'm slowly picking up titles again and then some.

                          Oy.

                          More power to the geeks who rule the universe....and Kevin Smith's comic book support.

                          Peace,
                          Roo
                          husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Comic book Heros!?

                            Originally posted by Roo719
                            About a year ago, I totally stopped reading comic books. Money and time being the major culprits. I missed my titles--but I figured I'd just have to accept it.

                            Then my partner bought "City of Heroes" PC game. YOu know the one--where you make a character and go online and beat up baddies (I've known of City of Villains, just haven't gotten around to it). Now I am a hero! So, guess what? I'm slowly picking up titles again and then some.

                            Oy.

                            More power to the geeks who rule the universe....and Kevin Smith's comic book support.

                            Peace,
                            Roo
                            City of Heroes/City of Villains is my current addiction.

                            Current Characters:

                            Mr. Graviton - Level 50 Gravity/Empathy Controller
                            Electro Stunner - Level 21 Energy/Ice Defender
                            Mr. Promethius - Level 13 Science Warshade
                            Bane of the Wolf - Level 13 Katana/Super Reflexes Scrapper
                            Neverending Flame - Level 15 Tech Fire/Kinetics Controller

                            Yeah...I play it a lot.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Comic book Heros!?

                              Ok, I have all the "Funeral for a friend" Issues unopend and in xlnt condition, dose anyone one know what there worth? I also have a grip of collect cards like, Spiderman, Wolverine, Tenage Mutant Ninja, Baseball cards and Football cards in mint cond. all at least 10yrs old. Are there any cards/comics I should look for that can be worth somthing?

                              I also have the whole series of "Yo MTV Raps" cards. funny stuff.
                              Come to the dark side,
                              we have cookies.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X