Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Masculinity" suffering identity crisis

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Masculinity" suffering identity crisis

    Article from Reuters - June 24, 2005
    Male-targeted ads found to be in no man's land

    CANNES, France (Reuters) - The Marlboro Man is having an identity crisis.

    The Leo Burnett advertising agency, which created the iconic macho cowboy, said a new study it conducted found that half the men in most parts of the world don't know what is expected of them in society and three-quarters of them think images of men in advertising are out of touch with reality.

    Most ads have lumped men into one of two groups -- the soft, caring type known as "metrosexuals," who are comfortable with facial peels and pink shirts, or the stereotypical "retrosexuals," who remain oafishly addicted to beer and sports.

    "As the world is drifting toward a more feminine perspective, many of the social constructs men have taken for granted are undergoing significant shifts or being outright dismantled," said Tom Bernardin, chairman and chief executive of Leo Burnett Worldwide.

    "It's a confusing time, not just for men, but for marketers as well as they try to target and depict men meaningfully," he said this week during a presentation in the south of France where the ad industry is gathered for its annual conference.

  • #2
    I think this article to be quite interesting. The article goes on to talk about the men they spoke with and mentions:
    The other 40 percent defined themselves more readily in the metrosexual versus retrosexual debate.
    I find this to be quite interesting and honestly wanted to see what the boys of MiceChat thought.

    Comment


    • #3
      Why do we need the terms "Metrosexual" and "Retrosexual"? So do we not even use the term Heterosexual anymore? So whats the term for those of us who are Hetero but can be soft and caring and like the occasional beer and sports? Hetero-Metro-Retrosexuals? Try putting that in a singles ad... lol
      Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mickeymus Prime
        Why do we need the terms "Metrosexual" and "Retrosexual"? So do we not even use the term Heterosexual anymore? So whats the term for those of us who are Hetero but can be soft and caring and like the occasional beer and sports? Hetero-Metro-Retrosexuals? Try putting that in a singles ad... lol
        Honestly, if that term was known ... it would probably be a good ticket in a personal ad.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'll start living up to society's perception of men when it starts living up to my perception of common sense and independant thought...
          Last edited by Soulquarian; 06-28-2005, 11:11 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mickeymus Prime
            Why do we need the terms "Metrosexual" and "Retrosexual"? So do we not even use the term Heterosexual anymore? So whats the term for those of us who are Hetero but can be soft and caring and like the occasional beer and sports? Hetero-Metro-Retrosexuals? Try putting that in a singles ad... lol
            Ugh! It's worse than that, Mickeymus Prime. According to their definition, The lable Metrosexual strictly applies to men who reside in urban areas. Therefore, those who reside in rural regions fall under the Retrosexual relegation.

            In line with this logic, a new term that lumps the male species together may ostensibly be Metro-Urban-Retro-Rural-Hetero/Homo/Bisexual-Sexuals.

            It is evident that advertisers and marketers are far more confused about the male identity than the vast majority of individual men. If they had their way, we would all end up a bunch of frustrated, castrated "Exuals".

            Originally posted by Soulquarian
            I'll start living up to society's perception of men when it starts living up to my perception of common sense and independant thought...
            Like Soulquarian, I, as a man, define my own identity - and society has a lot of catching up to do with respect to it's double standards, repressive attitudes, and incessent desire to label.
            Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-28-2005, 11:04 PM.
            To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ride Warrior
              In line with this logic, a new term that lumps the male species together may ostensibly be Metro-Urban-Retro-Rural-Hetero/Homol/Bisexual-Sexuals.
              Where's the :exploding head: smilie when we need one? Because I think mine just did...

              Originally posted by Ride Warrior
              Like Soulquarian, I, as a man, define my own identity - and society has a lot of catching up to do with respect to it's double standards, repesive attitudes, and incessent desire to label.
              Exactly.
              Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mickeymus Prime
                Where's the :exploding head: smilie when we need one? Because I think mine just did...


                Don't tease us like that Mickeymus!!!!!!
                Katie :yea:
                Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!








                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mickeymus Prime
                  Why do we need the terms "Metrosexual" and "Retrosexual"? So do we not even use the term Heterosexual anymore? So whats the term for those of us who are Hetero but can be soft and caring and like the occasional beer and sports? Hetero-Metro-Retrosexuals? Try putting that in a singles ad... lol
                  :lol: :lol:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ride Warrior
                    In line with this logic, a new term that lumps the male species together may ostensibly be Metro-Urban-Retro-Rural-Hetero/Homol/Bisexual-Sexuals.
                    :lol: :lol:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I hate to disappoint all you but The Marlboro Man (the model behind the cancer stick) is infact a homosexual...

                      I have heard him interviewed on SF Radio more times that I can count...
                      Check out my other blog:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Uhm, the Marlboro Man (at least the original) died of Cancer.

                        I don't know where I stand. Like others have said, I'm just me. If people don't like that it's not going to cause me to lose any sleep.

                        Give me jeans and a shirt and I'm good to go. Although I do meet some "Metrosexual" qualities (I like theatre, I shave, shower twice daily, wear cologne). Those who know me know there is nothing "Metro" about my "Sexual" ...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by cellarhound
                          I hate to disappoint all you but The Marlboro Man (the model behind the cancer stick) is infact a homosexual...

                          I have heard him interviewed on SF Radio more times that I can count...
                          Um... Hooray for him? Although I am curious... if its radio, how do you know its really him?
                          Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sir clinksalot
                            Uhm, the Marlboro Man (at least the original) died of Cancer.
                            Oh yeah, I forgot about that... which adds more to my last post, heheh.

                            Originally posted by sir clinksalot
                            I don't know where I stand. Like others have said, I'm just me. If people don't like that it's not going to cause me to lose any sleep.

                            Give me jeans and a shirt and I'm good to go. Although I do meet some "Metrosexual" qualities (I like theatre, I shave, shower twice daily, wear cologne). Those who know me know there is nothing "Metro" about my "Sexual" ...
                            I wish I had said that first...
                            Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Maybe it's just that there is a large majority of men who do not buy stuff based on advertisements. All that's left are metro's and retro's.
                              We (yes, I include myself in that large majority) are not the ones confused about our identity. The advertisers just can't figure us out.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X