This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good investment or bad investment? Re: My car

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer which will be 12 yo this July and the stereo is shot. The radio does work but the speakers are like crap and I don't have a CD player which I want.

My hubby is thinking of getting me a whole new stereo with new speakers since we really can't a afford a new car right now. Hopefully, later this year we may get a new car but don't know yet.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I've been living with a crappy stereo for about 5 years now and now the new vehicles I have seen you can plug your Ipod into the car and listen to music. Very cool, I think.

So what do you think? Is it a good investment or bad investment.

I put this in the boys forum but gals are more than welcome to answer this?

Re: Good investment or bad investment? Re: My car

If you're ok with the truck and it's only your radio that's shot, then sure, it's worth it.
    There are many stereos out there that have ipod connections now.

Comment

Check Circuit City, they're doing free installation on any deck $99 and up through Saturday. They have a Kenwood CD player with a free iPod cable for $129.99. Speakers can vary in price depending on what you need.

If you're planning on getting a new vehicle, you can get away with less expensive speakers since they will sound good for the next year or so.

I wouldn't go expensive on anything since you don't know what the set up is going to be in the new vehicle and it will be easier to leave them in the Explorer. Head units come in a couple of different sized so it may not necessarily be the correct size for the new vehicle.
      Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Sounds like the new vehicle is still up in the air for 2008...girl, you've suffered long enough! 5yrs is a LONG stretch w/ no car tunes!!! Budget a few hundred bux and go get the best deal you can find!
        Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Comment

Life's too short to not have good music! It will make your drive much more pleasent for the rest of the time you have this car. I agree with John, don't go all out, but there's plenty of decent systems out there that will do the job nicely. Also, if you plan to sell the car, you can proabably make the money (or a portion of it) back in the sale.

Comment

Since your text belies the exteme iffy-ness of a new vehicle this year I agree with all the others. Go for it!

Get a very good stereo that will let you do everything you want it to do (i.e. iPod connection, plays MP3/WMA CDs, etc.). Then only get so-so speakers.

The best part of this is when you do go for the new car, you won't need to get the audio upgrade package. Just migrate the stereo you are gonna buy over to the new car. (most stores can do this for you if you don't know how)

Comment

You know, you could also get something like Sirius radio. I love it because of the great selection of stations and very little to no commercials. I'd go for something with this feature and just stick with Sirius, believe me after a while the iPod gets played out.

Comment

Stereos are so inexpensive nowadays and the installation is cheap. I'm in the same boat, my 96 Explorer has seen better days. Almost bought a new truck when the deals were hot late December but figured I could hold off another year - the wife has a new Suburban which I drive on rare ocassions. BTW - that stock stereo does suck and I love the XM we gave in the Suburban.

Comment

Originally posted by cal4iri View Post
                  If you're ok with the truck and it's only your radio that's shot, then sure, it's worth it.
                  There are many stereos out there that have ipod connections now.
                  Yeah, this is what I need to check out.

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                  Check Circuit City, they're doing free installation on any deck $99 and up through Saturday. They have a Kenwood CD player with a free iPod cable for $129.99. Speakers can vary in price depending on what you need.

If you're planning on getting a new vehicle, you can get away with less expensive speakers since they will sound good for the next year or so.

I wouldn't go expensive on anything since you don't know what the set up is going to be in the new vehicle and it will be easier to leave them in the Explorer. Head units come in a couple of different sized so it may not necessarily be the correct size for the new vehicle.
                  Circuit City Sale? cool, I can go for that. Thanks John for the info. I definitely need to check it out.

Yeah, I did not what to go way to expensive on the speakers and that's what screwing up the sound right now.

Originally posted by All4dISNEY View Post
                  Sounds like the new vehicle is still up in the air for 2008...girl, you've suffered long enough! 5yrs is a LONG stretch w/ no car tunes!!! Budget a few hundred bux and go get the best deal you can find!
                  Liane, you are a girl after my own heart. Seriously, my hubby wants to get me a new car, I just need to be patient for now.

Originally posted by Villains Fan View Post
                  Life's too short to not have good music! It will make your drive much more pleasent for the rest of the time you have this car. I agree with John, don't go all out, but there's plenty of decent systems out there that will do the job nicely. Also, if you plan to sell the car, you can proabably make the money (or a portion of it) back in the sale.
                  I love music, I love singing to it, though I'm not a good singer, and dancing to it, well... not in the car.

Originally posted by NatdRat View Post
                  Since your text belies the exteme iffy-ness of a new vehicle this year I agree with all the others. Go for it!

Get a very good stereo that will let you do everything you want it to do (i.e. iPod connection, plays MP3/WMA CDs, etc.). Then only get so-so speakers.

The best part of this is when you do go for the new car, you won't need to get the audio upgrade package. Just migrate the stereo you are gonna buy over to the new car. (most stores can do this for you if you don't know how)
                  Very good advice I'll have to consider that down the line.

Originally posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
                  You know, you could also get something like Sirius radio. I love it because of the great selection of stations and very little to no commercials. I'd go for something with this feature and just stick with Sirius, believe me after a while the iPod gets played out.
                  My hubby actually has Sirius in his car. I love it. I can't remember why he told me I couldn't have it in my car? IDK. I'll get back to you on that.

Originally posted by GrouchyRob View Post
                  Stereos are so inexpensive nowadays and the installation is cheap. I'm in the same boat, my 96 Explorer has seen better days. Almost bought a new truck when the deals were hot late December but figured I could hold off another year - the wife has a new Suburban which I drive on rare ocassions. BTW - that stock stereo does suck and I love the XM we gave in the Suburban.
                  Wow Rob, we have something in common. Seriously, my whole stereo system does suck. I just want a upgrade that's all.

Comment

Gina, PM me your info and I'll send you a Sirius receiver for your car. I unplugged mine a long time ago because my commute is so short it wasn't worth it.
                    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

I'd like to upgrade the stereo in my car (a 2005) to one that I can plug my iPod into. The speakers I have now are really great (6 speaker system). Would just getting a new stereo deck and keeping the speakers I have work?

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                        I'd like to upgrade the stereo in my car (a 2005) to one that I can plug my iPod into. The speakers I have now are really great (6 speaker system). Would just getting a new stereo deck and keeping the speakers I have work?
                        Yes.
                        Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Cool! I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                            I am so jealous of your 6 speaker system. Well, my hubby told me we will go stereo shopping this weekend but I'm thinking maybe we should go shopping during the Presidents day sales.

Comment

Try crutchfield.com they usually have some good deals and they have install kits to make it easy to get it done.
                              Originally posted by SummerInFL
                              Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Originally posted by Wanda Woman
                              Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X