Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What World Series Match-Up do you want to see most?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What World Series Match-Up do you want to see most?

Sorry Barry, the World Series can not be played by two teams in the same league. It just doesn't work that way. No matter how emotionally you might want it to be that way. It's based on two separate leagues, and played by the last two teams standing, one from each league.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
      Sorry Barry, the World Series can not be played by two teams in the same league. It just doesn't work that way. No matter how emotionally you might want it to be that way. It's based on two separate leagues, and played by the last two teams standing, one from each league.
      I understand that. I'm just saying that if you were looking for the best two teams remaining, they're playing in the cold and rain of the Bronx tonight.
      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
        I understand that. I'm just saying that if you were looking for the best two teams remaining, they're playing in the cold and rain of the Bronx tonight.
        and we finally agree on something...yeah!

Comment

Yes, but technically they can't be the two best teams remaining, because after the ALCS is over, one of them will be going home. So only one of them can claim they are one of the two best. The two best meet in the World Series.

It boils down to who can perform the best under the present playoff system. Only one can claim to be the best in each league. They earn that right by getting to the World Series.
          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
            and we finally agree on something...yeah!
            Again understanding Barbaraann's point, IMHO, there are certainly three teams in the A.L. East alone that are better than every team in the N.L.

They can't all advance, of course, because they beat one another. And that's leaving out the Angels, Detroit, Minnesota...
            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

So "on paper" there are teams that are better than others. However the World Series Champs are decided "between the lines, and on the baseball diamonds". Once the playoffs begin. Everyone starts again at the beginning. If you are indeed the best, than you need to win 11 games to prove it.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

So "on paper" there are teams that are better than others. However the World Series Champs are decided "between the lines, and on the baseball diamonds". Once the playoffs begin. Everyone starts again at the beginning. If you are indeed the best, than you need to win 11 games to prove it.
                the best are already playing...imo...it does not start at the beginning again.

Comment

I stand corrected. Once the playoffs begin there are eight teams involved, and those teams all have an equal chance to be World Series Champs ..They decide it by their play on the field, and not by their season records.
                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

I stand corrected. Once the playoffs begin there are eight teams involved, and those teams all have an equal chance to be World Series Champs ..They decide it by their play on the field, and not by their season records.
                    Just an addendum that the home field edge is based on records, til the World Series, which has that silly All-Star game thing...meaning the AL team every year.

Comment

I understand rivalry between good teams like the Yankees, and the Angels. Getting to the World Series by beating the Yankees would be a high moment, I am sure for any Angels' fan. Should they then lose to a team in the National League that they feel is inferior to them, it would be a let down for sure. That's the heartache of the game. I'm not saying that will happen, but it has happened before, where the World Series Champ is not that team that was considered the best at all. "That's why they play the game".
                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

Dodgers/Angels would be my preference, though to see Torre spank the Yanks would be pretty sweet, too. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.
                        The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Should they then lose to a team in the National League that they feel is inferior to them, it would be a let down for sure. That's the heartache of the game. I'm not saying that will happen, but it has happened before, where the World Series Champ is not that team that was considered the best at all. "That's why they play the game".
                          You're absolutely right about that, and as you say that's why championships are decided on the field, and should be.

Since the Angels have only been to the World Series once, I'd still feel pretty good about it even if we lost. I do feel the 2002 Angels were a better team than the Giants, but they were in many ways lucky to win in 7 games.

I'm curious to know how you would feel, if the Cubs made it to the World Series, and lost. Would there be any good feeling? We all know about 1908. But the Cubs haven't even been to the Series since 1945, right?

Comment

I understand rivalry between good teams like the Yankees, and the Angels. Getting to the World Series by beating the Yankees would be a high moment, I am sure for any Angels' fan. Should they then lose to a team in the National League that they feel is inferior to them, it would be a let down for sure. That's the heartache of the game. I'm not saying that will happen, but it has happened before, where the World Series Champ is not that team that was considered the best at all. "That's why they play the game".
                            I think it's kind of insulting to assume that any National League team is automatically inferior to an American League team.
                            The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
                              I think it's kind of insulting to assume that any National League team is automatically inferior to an American League team.
                              This year it's the case. It switches quite often though but until there is a salary cap, NY and Boston will always be tough.

Comment

The Cubs haven't been to a World Series in my entire lifetime. I am 62. An appearance without a victory would be fine with me.

It wasn't me who said that the Angels and the Yankees were the two best teams in baseball. However, I stick by the fact that the World Series Champ at the end of the year isn't always the team that everyone considered the best at the end of the regular season and before the playoffs are actually played. The playoffs are an emotional event, and sometimes it's that emotion that puts that one team in the winner's circle that nobody thought belonged there.
                                BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
                                  Can't speak for the others, but I never said that.

What I've said, accurately, is that there are more good teams in the AL than in the NL.

And that the two best teams of the four remaining are the Angels and Yankees, making that the "de facto" World Series.

And that whichever team emerges from that series, they'd be the solid favorite to win the World Series.

And as for the "Los Angeles Angels"...that was the franchise's original name. Arte Moreno owns the team, and what he wants the name to be is his business, for the most part. Sure beats The "Avenging Angels of Anaheim", or the "Devilish Angels of Anaheim", two of the names that Michael Eisner was pushing for.

Along with the horrendously ugly periwinkle blue uniforms, the baja marimba band, and the cheerleaders in the stands. Aah, memories of Disney.

Comment

I want to see Angels/Dodgers, I'm still holding out hope that both the Dodgers and Angels will come back and tie up there respected series. I'm a diehard Angels fan, the freeway world series would be awesome to see and a hard game to get tickets to. I Wouldn't even mind seeing Angels/Phillies
                                    Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

Comment

It looks like the Yankees will be back in the World Series this year. And playing against the Phillies. I know there is 1 game left, but I think Angel fans are dilusional if they think they will beat the Yanks now, since they are down 3 games to 1.

I know this is a California heavy board , :lol:
                                      Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse princess View Post
                                        It looks like the Yankees will be back in the World Series this year. And playing against the Phillies. I know there is 1 game left, but I think Angel fans are dilusional if they think they will beat the Yanks now, since they are down 3 games to 1.

I know this is a California heavy board , :lol:
                                        Well, Red Sox fans were probably delusional (sp?) in '04, when they were down 0-3 to the Yankees.

Possible, yes. Likely, no. But, to repeat, the series isn't over til someone records 27 outs, in their 4th victory. Teams have overcome 1-3 deficits several times.

The immediate goal for the Dodgers...one more home game.
                                        For the Angels..."not in our house, you won't".

Comment

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but personally i think the hopes of either Angels or Dodgers in the World Series this year are not likely.

The Dodgers are not playing well defensively and the Angels bats are struggling against the Yankee pitching.

It looks to be a Philly/NYY series with the Yankees taking it.
                                          "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X