• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics -Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010-

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010
    Vancouver Paralympic Games Mar 12-Mar 21, 2010

And so it begins with the lighting of the Olympic Flame tomorrow in Greece:

Olympic torch to be lit in Greece Wednesday

The flame will spend 8 days in Greece, after being lit at the Temple of Hera in Olympia. It will then make it's journey over to Vancouver Island where the Canadian leg of the Torch Relay will begin in Victoria at Mile 0 of the Trans Canada Highway on October 30. View the interactive map here: Olympic Torch Relay Interactive Map : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

I'll try and keep this thread updated from now on; up to, and including the games. For further info, check out the Vancouver 2010 website here: 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games Medals Results Schedule Sports : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Check out how the medals will look, which were revealed just a few days ago: Vancouver 2010 Medals : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Another good board to follow is Gamesbids: GamesBids.com Forums -> Vancouver 2010 Winter Games

Helpful Posts:

For those visiting Vancouver:
    http://micechat.com/forums/sports-zo...post1055821806

Music of the games:
    http://micechat.com/forums/sports-zo...post1055822235

Some pin trading info:
    http://micechat.com/forums/sports-zo...post1055824461
    Last edited by Barbossa; 02-18-2010, 06:44 AM.

Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics -Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010-

Ok, today was just the rehearsal ceremony for the torch lighting. The actual ceremony is happening in less than 5 hours from now.

Here's pics from today's rehearsal:
    CTV Olympics - Olympic Flame to be lit in Greece

Comment

If anyone is interested in watching the torch lighting ceremony live in Olympia, here's the link:
      Media - Olympic.org

Should be taking place in just a few hours.

Comment

In case you want to watch the torch lighting ceremony, CTV posted it here with photos:
        CTV Olympics - Olympic flame officially lit in Greece

Comment

Anybody planning to go to the games?

Comment

I know Olympicnut and Grumpy4 are going. Not sure about anybody else.

I'm looking forward to them.

Comment

No plans to have anything to do with the games at the moment. Fortunately I don't work downtown so it shouldn't affect me at all.

I feel like I should attend *something*, one of the free public events or something, but since I don't care about the Olympics in general, I'm just not feeling any interest.

Generally pleased we're hosting, just not my thing.
              My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

I'd like to go. I don't have any tickets to any of the sporting events or ceremonies, but I'd like to get down there and do some pin trading, either on the opening weekend or the second weekend.

I have friends that live in Surrey, Burnaby, and Whistler, so accomodations wouldn't be a problem.

The problem is now I started part-time work working on one of the local ski hills helping to prep lifts for the up-coming season. This will probably lead to a lift attendant position in December, so, I will probably be tied to the ski hill in February.

Comment

The Likely Starting line for team Canada mens hockey- SHARKS! - Heatley, Thornton, Marleau-- or so the rumor goes...
                  -----------------------------------------------
                  DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

i'm definitely excited! i'm always excited for any type of olympics! USA! USA! USA!
                    Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                    Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Last year's Gordon Ramsay-FOX TV Hell's Kitchen winner has supposedly taken over as the new head chef at a top hotel in Whistler, just in time for the Games - can't remember the name of the place, though.

I'm sure that NBC will be tape-delaying prime time coverage for the US West Coast, even though these games are taking place in the Pacific Time Zone - again, like before, boo-hiss NBC.
                      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Can't not wait for these games to begin..I'm a fan of figure skating..I hope USA captures the gold in those events
                        "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

Comment

Our Olympic year is here. Hard to believe the games are just a month and a little bit away!

Comment

And, the MiceChat magic ad machine is offering a trip packages to the games, on this very page.
                            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

25 days to go!

Comment

For any of you chasing the Olympic torch, an extra added bonus on Feb 8th and 9th in White Rock. The Royal Hudson steam train will be in White Rock to help celebrate White Rock's Winter Festival. The torch will be there on Feb 9. You can ride the train from Vancouver to White Rock and return. Here's the info:
                                http://www.wcra.org/tours/pdf/WRBROCHURE2010.pdf

21 days to go!

I finally found a pair of adult sized Torch Relay red mittens today.

Comment

I haven't sensed much excitement about the games here yet (meaning Southern California at least), but I am sure that as NBC's promotions become more and more evident, it will build.

During the Torino games, I found myself watching as much of the coverage of the events shown on NBC's cable networks like Lifetime, Bravo and such...as I did the stuff on the main network.

I like watching events shown live, whenever possible, even if I have the apparent misfortune of living on the West Coast.

Comment

For any of you that are going to be in Whistler and want to party with the Jamaican Bobsled Team...
                                    Jamaica Bobsleigh House | Your 2010 Olympic Party Headquarters | Savage Beagle, Whistler BC

Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! C'mon Jamaica, its bobsled time! COOL RUNNINGS!
                                    )

Comment

19 days to go!

Comment

The Olympic flame arrived in Kelowna this evening and I went to check it out. So, without further ado, here's a trip report...

Entering City Park, people were greeted by these five ice sculptures, each representing a different sport. The ice sculptures were done by a local artist. Each sculpture was lit-up by the colours of the Olympic rings.

Next I headed off to the Coke display. They had an RV set-up with the different torches from past Olympics on display.

The one on the left that looks like the Calgary tower was the calgary torch. Some people say it looks like a toilet plunger.

Vancouver's Torch:

Here's a bunch of photos of the main stage.

Coke put on a high energy show that was part acrobatic and part Stomp (guys were drumming away on plastic buckets and other percussion instruments).

Just before the arrival of the torch. Our local politicians on stage along with our Premier. One of our MLAs up on stage was actually one of my professors from college.

Here's the torch. Sorry for the blurry photos. I didn't have my tripod with me.

The cauldron getting lit.

The guy on the right in the blue jacket is one of our local MLAs (member of legislative assembly [provincial government]), Norm Letnick. Norm was one of my professors in college before getting elected to public office.

Premier Gordon Campbell speaking to the crowd.

Second from the right in red (with microphone) is our mayor.

The MC with the cauldron.

And here's the community cauldron with the flame all the way from Greece.

One of the local bands playing. These guys were actually pretty good.

and the last couple of photos showing the torch relay sponsors' banners on each side of the stage.

Here's RBC (Royal Bank of Canada).

And here's Coke's beside the Jumbotron. Ok maybe it's not a Jumbotron as Sony isn't a sponsor, Panasonic is, so it's a probably a Panasonic product.

And here is the free swag I got.

I got:
                                        RBC Tambourine
                                        Coke flag
                                        Light-up limited edition Coke bottle (edition #130717 of 250,000)
                                        A couple glow stick torches from the City of Kelowna
                                        Mascot sport stickers
                                        A torch relay button from the BC Government
                                        3 aluminum bottles of Coke made specially for the Coke relay

Coke had a neat setup. They were giving the Coke bottles out of a Zamboni. I saw the Zamboni at the McDonald's in West Kelowna. They took a Zamboni and gutted the ice cleaning machinery out of it and converted it to a cooler. They were driving the Zamboni around and would stop every so often and hand out the aluminum Coke bottles.

HBC (Hudson's Bay Company) had a stand at the community celebration as well. They were selling pins, hats, shirts, and other souvenirs. They were selling four Torch Relay pins that weren't being sold in stores, just exclusive to stops on the torch relay route. The four designs were:
                                        Torch with red mittens
                                        Torch with map of Canada
                                        Miga with torch
                                        Quatchi with torch
                                        I picked up this one:

And that's the community celebration in Kelowna. Tomorrow the torch will continue thru Kelowna and head north. It's supposed to be stopping at the local Zellers store tomorrow. I'm going to go there as they will be offering a free pancake breakfast and free Team Canada toques to the first 100 people.

Just 17 days to go!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X