This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics -Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010-

I do not understand why ice dancing is even in the Olympics. It is more art than sport.
    Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

And it's REALLY boring. I'm not watching a ballroom dancing competition, I'm not watching Ice Dancing. I'm thinking they are trying to capitalize on "Dancing with the Stars"? But they don't realize people watch that for the celebs, not the dancers.

Although I did watch when Tanith Belbin was skating.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
        And it's REALLY boring. I'm not watching a ballroom dancing competition, I'm not watching Ice Dancing. I'm thinking they are trying to capitalize on "Dancing with the Stars"? But they don't realize people watch that for the celebs, not the dancers.

Although I did watch when Tanith Belbin was skating.
        yeah it is boring, but so was the male figure skating. I seem to recall in the past it was more interesting, but not so much this year.

Comment

really we go weeks arguing whether ice dancing should be an olympic sport or not, cause obviously it's a big deal over in europe
          Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
          You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
          Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

That was one of the best hockey games I've ever seen.

I think the NHL would be better served if it could somehow adapt to the larger rink dimensions of international play. Those dimensions seem to lend themselves to a more wide-open style of play. That was ice hockey at its best last night. It's too bad we couldn't have been shown all the games on "the networks of NBC".

Ryan Miller stood on his head last night. A hot goaltender can take you a long way in this kind of tournament, but they can't give up that many shots going forward and hope to have a shot at gold.
            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I assume you are talking about the men Barry, and not the ladies who just finished a game against Sweden.

I don't get too bent out of shape about the coverage. I am enjoying the Olympics. The United States is really doing well, and as a citizen I am really happy about that.

I even enjoy some of the personal stuff that they have been showing in the morning. I really like seeing past Gold medalists like Scott Hamilton, Dorothy Hamill, and Peggy Fleming. I even had a Dorothy Hamill haircut at one time in my life.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                I assume you are talking about the men Barry, and not the ladies who just finished a game against Sweden.
                Yes, I was - but congratulations to the ladies as well - they are living up to expectations with their level of play thus far.
                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I really think the NHL is going to be the beneficiary of a LOT of increased ratings because of this tournament. ESPECIALLY if the USA team can somehow reach a medal game and ESPECIALLY if it's a Gold Medal game against Canada or Russia.

And IMO, that's a GOOD thing. Hockey is such an amazingly fun sport to watch on both TV and ESPECIALLY live.

Comment

I really think the NHL is going to be the beneficiary of a LOT of increased ratings because of this tournament. ESPECIALLY if the USA team can somehow reach a medal game and ESPECIALLY if it's a Gold Medal game against Canada or Russia.

And IMO, that's a GOOD thing. Hockey is such an amazingly fun sport to watch on both TV and ESPECIALLY live.
                    It will be interesting to see the ratings for MSNBC last night, and for USA and CNBC and MSNBC this week....and gee, the gold medal game makes it to big Daddy NBC on Sunday.

And 30 years ago today, I recall hearing the news on the radio, driving from where I was living in Whittier down the 5 freeway in late afternoon, to work a Friday private party night at a certain theme park we all know, when we heard that the unimaginable had happened...

A group of U.S. amateurs had beaten the by-any-definition professional Soviet Red Army hockey team in the semi-finals at Lake Placid.

No live TV then, either. It was shown at 11:30PM on the West Coast. A group of New Orleans Main Kitchen employees gathered around a TV set at about 1:30AM in a closed employees cafeteria to happily watch the final moments of a game we all knew the outcome to.

I didn't hear Al Michaels classic "Do You Believe In Miracles" on ABC til later...we were all too busy cheering at the time...quite a memory.

Comment

When it comes to the Hockey game ratings, well over on the Canadians channel (CTV), they announced that yesterday's game was the most watched sports program in the countries history. (10.6 million).

So I can imagine any channel in the US that showed the game live, they would have some impressive ratings as well.

Also in news from Canada, they announced that the "Own the Podium" program is a bust. $117 Million dollars ($66 Million being taxpayer's money), put in...and they don't have a chance at leading the medal count.
                      Last edited by AE_Fan; 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM.
                      Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
                      Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
                      I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Comment

Originally posted by royaldisneyfan View Post
                        Congrats to Ohno! He's my favorite to watch during these games. Anyone wonder why he yawns so much before he races though?
                        I think it is also to relax and calm him. I can't imagine he remembers to breathe while he is skating though, so much more to concentrate on )

Lol Nah, it has been in the Olympics since the 70s. I like it for its artistry, but I can see how it can be argued the same way that curling is.

The hockey game was pretty good. Go USA! It still takes something away from it, being that they are pros. Just not the same as having amateurs (?) really accomplish it.
                        Good morning, son
                        In twenty years from now
                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                        It was pain
                        Sunny days and rain
                        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Hockey is a team sport. Getting the best players together on the ice for the Olympics does not guarantee that they are going to have success. They need to forget their egos, and do what is best for the team. Sometimes, it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

The 1980 team won because of team chemistry as much as because of talent.
                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by AE_Fan View Post

So I can imagine any channel in the US that showed the game live, they would have some impressive ratings as well.
                            I'd imagine that most households that have access to cable or satellite have access to MSNBC. I'm not sure they all do, though.

Wouldn't it be something if these two teams met again, later in the week?

And at the risk of seeming like I'm "kissing up" to a moderator (which I have never knowingly done)...I agree with NNL. I never have liked the idea of professionals being involved in our Olympic teams and yes, I know all the arguments why it's only fair, and all of that.

I liked it better when we had amateurs. And that's why even if the U.S. wins another gold medal this week it'll be nice, but it will never compare to the miracle of 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by AE_Fan View Post
                              Also in news from Canada, they announced that the "Own the Podium" program is a bust. $117 Million dollars ($66 Million being taxpayer's money), put in...and they don't have a chance at leading the medal count.
                              I'm surprised they set such a lofty goal, I just assumed it was about having a good showing on home soil, not necesscarily leading everyone.

If it contributed to the overall medal count being what it is, I'm glad they did it.
                              My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post

And at the risk of seeming like I'm "kissing up" to a moderator (which I have never knowingly done)...I agree with NNL. I never have liked the idea of professionals being involved in our Olympic teams and yes, I know all the arguments why it's only fair, and all of that.

I liked it better when we had amateurs. And that's why even if the U.S. wins another gold medal this week it'll be nice, but it will never compare to the miracle of 1980.
                                i'm kinda like this too. cause to me it seems like professionals already make millions of dollars, they don't really dream about being in the olympics.

take basketball for example. we pretty much own that (i think). why not let the college players get a little action? i bet you we could win a medal in that if we let the college players play
                                Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                                You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                                Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Martin Brodeur will be benched for Canada's next game in favor of Luongo.

I sure wish he would've made these sort of mistakes in the 03 Stanley Cup finals!

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock
                                  i'm kinda like this too. cause to me it seems like professionals already make millions of dollars, they don't really dream about being in the olympics.

take basketball for example. we pretty much own that (i think). why not let the college players get a little action? i bet you we could win a medal in that if we let the college players play
                                  Shaun White makes millions of dollars as well yet no one argues that he shouldn't be competing.

In this day and age of "one and done" college basketball, we could send a team of collegians and they would get crushed. Other countries are not sending college kids but pro players, some of whom are in the NBA. So if they do it, why not us?
                                  Last edited by brand42; 02-22-2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post

OFF TOPIC...And they did, every time out pretty much until the late 80's when we had to settle for the bronze once, there was a national furor and it was "bring on the pros"...

The record book says that the Soviets beat the USA for the gold medal in Munich in 1972. But that was only after some of the worst officiating and clock operation at the end of a game, in history.

That year in protest, our team did not take the stand for the awarding of the silver medal. In fact, those medals still lie in a vault in Switzerland (I believe), never to be claimed.

Comment

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post

I don't really like the idea of pro's in the olympics either, but I don't buy for a second that they don't dream about being in the olympics. If they didn't, why would they be there?

If you ask anybody from the Dream Team or any of the other Basketball teams they would tell you that their olympic gold medal's are one of the crowning achievements of their career. If you ask ANYBODY playing in the NHL that is currently playing in the olympics which was more meaningful to them ... a Gold Medal or a Stanley Cup ... They would tell you the Gold Medal.

They aren't getting paid to go to the Olympics, and for the most part it's causing a strain on their NHL season. It's probably GREAT for those not playing, having time to rest injuries, etc. But for those playing, they are playing 7 and maybe 8 extra games over the course of a week and a half.

Comment

Horrible news, especially for those of us on the West Coast.

The main NBC network is showing tomorrow's USA men's hockey quarterfinal, live at 3 Eastern (which is, by most clocks, 12 Noon Pacific).

Why couldn't they have left well enough alone, and kept the game on one of their cable networks, where everyone is allowed to see it live?

Unless NBC changes its mind), and unless people here use their spoiler tags, I guess I won't be able to look at this thread while you people across most of the rest of the nation get to watch live. Damned NBC.

Comment

Originally posted by brand42 View Post

Shaun White makes millions of dollars as well yet no one argues that he shouldn't be competing.

In this day and age of "one and done" college basketball, we could send a team of collegians and they would get crushed. Other countries are not sending college kids but pro players, some of whom are in the NBA. So if they do it, why not us?
                                          Is Shaun White a professional snowboarder? If so, then I will argue that he shouldn't be competing! (Note that I have no clue if they even have pro snowboarders!). Eve my precious Apolo I would argue against!

They shouldn't do it, though. The Olympics should be for amateurs only. We were doing jsut fine before the rule change. It should be the height for the amaeur, one who might not make it in the pros or one to have a stepping stone to it or one who is the *best* at their level. Not getting paid is one thing, but really sponsorships are such a blur now that you can paid in many ways.

I don't really like the idea of pro's in the olympics either, but I don't buy for a second that they don't dream about being in the olympics. If they didn't, why would they be there?

If you ask anybody from the Dream Team or any of the other Basketball teams they would tell you that their olympic gold medal's are one of the crowning achievements of their career. If you ask ANYBODY playing in the NHL that is currently playing in the olympics which was more meaningful to them ... a Gold Medal or a Stanley Cup ... They would tell you the Gold Medal.
                                          I agree with this too - I mean, if these guys don't WANT to be there, then they wouldn't be there.
                                          Good morning, son
                                          In twenty years from now
                                          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                                          And I can tell you 'bout today
                                          And how I picked you up and everything changed
                                          It was pain
                                          Sunny days and rain
                                          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X