X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics -Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010-

After the torch relay, I headed over to the GM dealership where I picked up a couple more items for free:
      a car window flag:

and a pin:

Comment

Nice photos. I want the light-up Coke bottle of all things...
        My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
          Nice photos. I want the light-up Coke bottle of all things...
          It's pretty neat. It's actually styrofoam with a plastic cover. It changes colour when you turn it on; cycles thru the colours of the Olympic rings. And only 250,000 were produced.

Comment

Does Vanoc know you're using the Olympics logo as your avatar? They're ruthless you know...

Comment

Does Vanoc know you're using the Olympics logo as your avatar? They're ruthless you know...
              I know they're ruthless . But they way I see it, It's free viral advertising for them . I couldn't believe an article I read about a week ago concerning the Vancouver library. It said that if they have Sony TVs, they have to cover up "Sony" because Sony isn't a sponsor of the games, Panasonic is. There's a few things Vanoc is going a little overboard on. Sometimes it seems they forgot the games are about sport, not business.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
                There's a few things Vanoc is going a little overboard on. Sometimes it seems they forgot the games are about sport, not business.
                Ummm, since when?

Don't mean to be overly cynical, but I certainly remember the controversy when the USA "dream" basketball team won the gold medal in 1992, and there was an uproar over whether Michael Jordan would wear the Team USA warmups on the medal stand, because they had Reebok logos on them, and of course he was beholden to Nike.

The Olympics are a lot about business. Big business.
                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Yup. Someone has to pay for all the new construction.

Tell Greece and Montreal that it's all about sport. Both had huge deficits that had (orstill have) to be paid off.

Comment

I think every Olympic host city goes into debt. I think I remember hearing that the Beijing games were close to a BILLION dollars in the red.

Plus now they have to actually truck in SNOW for the games. Who's bright idea was it to put the games where there is no snow???

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                      I think every Olympic host city goes into debt.
                      Los Angeles didn't, because, among other reasons, they insisted on using existing venues and didn't cave into every single demand made by the elites that run the IOC. I think they built a new facility for cycling and that was about it.

Thank you, Peter Ueberroth.
                      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Yeah, and then they let the Velodrome go to ... well, you know.

At least it wasn't great the last time I saw it about 15 years ago.

Comment

Plus now they have to actually truck in SNOW for the games. Who's bright idea was it to put the games where there is no snow???
                          Paul Pressler. The plan is, that with no snow, there will be no sports to watch, and everyone will spend money on souvenirs and food instead. Ka-ching!

Actually, the ski hills have a bit less snow than usual this year, so it has to be moved around from the higher elevations. That's just the Vancouver ski hills, Whistler is fine I think.

It's not a case of there being no snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                            The Olympics are a lot about business. Big business.
                            Unfortunately, it is about business. One thing that bugs me is if you take a look at some of the recent photos from Vancouver, a number of provinces are setting up pavilions on the old Expo 86 site near BC Place. It's looking like Expo 86 again. One has to remember that this is just a two week event whereas Expo runs for 6 months. Shanghai is hosting Expo this year from May 1 to Oct 31, here's their website: Expo 2010 Shanghai China and I recently heard that both Edmonton and Calgary put in bids to host a future Expo. Sochi is setting up a pavilion in Science World which is fine as they're the next hosts.

The sponsorships are fine. They help out by supporting the athletes and VANOC and I guess part of the venue construction, but I don't know how much is going towards venues. Then there are projects that are soley funded by taxpayers like the RAV line from Downtown to the airport and the Sea-to-Sky highway, and the new convention centre beside Canada Place. Vancouver is lucky that it didnt' have to build all the venues from scratch (like they're doing in Sochi I believe). Here's what was already in place before Vancouver won the bid:
                            • BC Place Stadium
                            • GM Place (renamed Canada Hockey Place during the games, home of the Canucks)
                            • Pacific Coliseum (former home of the Canucks)
                            • Whistler Creekside (previously used for World Cup Downhill ski events, was upgraded though)
                            Venues that had to be built:
                            • Whistler Sliding Center (on Blackcomb mountain)
                            • Whistler Olympic Park (nordic and ski jumps)
                            • Cypress Mountain Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding courses (ski area existed but courses didn't)
                            • Vancouver Olympic Centre (curling)
                            • Athletes villages in Vancouver and Whistler
                            • UBC Thunderbird Arena (this facility existed, but was rebuilt. At least the university gains from getting a new facility)
                            • Richmond Oval
                            One first for these games, hockey will be played on an NHL sized ice surface rather than international ice. International ice surface is a little bigger. The IOC allowed it and saved VANOC some money rather than having to convert GM Place to the bigger surface. Plus, most of the guys playing hockey are from the NHL anyways. Would've interfered with the NHL schedule afterwards having to put the smaller ice surface back in as well.

Comment

Paul Pressler. The plan is, that with no snow, there will be no sports to watch, and everyone will spend money on souvenirs and food instead. Ka-ching!

Actually, the ski hills have a bit less snow than usual this year, so it has to be moved around from the higher elevations. That's just the Vancouver ski hills, Whistler is fine I think.

It's not a case of there being no snow.
                              Yup, good ol' El Nino. The other day on the ski hill I work at, I was joking that we should sell some of our extra snow to Cypress.

A thought occured to me. I don't understand the temporary renaming of GM Place to Canada Hockey Place, when GM is a sponsor of the Olympics. Hmm, must be something in those contracts or an IOC request...

Comment

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
                                Would've interfered with the NHL schedule afterwards having to put the smaller ice surface back in as well.
                                As if the NHL schedule hasn't been interfered with enough already...

Comment

It's all about $$. Otherwise why would our friends who are going be paying $800+ for a ticket to the opening ceremonies.

Comment

Just found this on Sochi's website. This is how Sochi World will look like as they takover Science World for a few weeks:
                                    SOCHI2014.RU WORLD, RUSSKY DOM - About Us - Sochi 2014
                                    Scroll down the page to see the images.

The Science World building was originally built as the Expo Centre for Expo 86. The ball has an Omnimax (curved IMAX screen) theater and the rest of the building is a science centre, which will be converted to the Russian House during the Olympics.

Speaking of Sochi, what do you guys think of their logo which was revealed earlier this month? It's the first Olympics logo to incorporate a web adress, but I don't see anything in the logo that ties it to winter.

Comment

Yeah, and then they let the Velodrome go to ... well, you know.

At least it wasn't great the last time I saw it about 15 years ago.
                                      Please, tell me you know what the Velodrome is today.

Comment

I got a kick out of this and thought I'd post it here. With the Olympics there's always some protestors present. There were a few at the community celebration on Monday night, however they were well behaved and just standing around with signs. I found this pic on another board. This is yesterday in Vernon as the Torch Relay made it's way there:
                                        http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...lympicFail.jpg

:lol:

Comment

For anyone that's interested, here is the route for the torch relay thru Vancouver for the final two days before the Opening Ceremonies:
                                          Opening Day Olympic Torch Relay Route In Vancouver - GamesBids.com Forums

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X