This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics -Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010-

The current McDonald's Happy Meal promo just in time for the Olympics. There's 8 in the set, the mascots doing various sports:

I guess this promo is going to be around until the end of the games.

Comment

I can't wait to see what the border looks like once the games start. I work in Blaine and take the last exit before the boarder and I begining to wonder if I will need to take an earlier exit and take back roads to avoid the lines at the border.
      Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

Comment

I wonder what the border line-ups will be like as well. I'll just avoid going to the USA during that time, but I am curious. A friend is picking up another friend at Sea-Tac on Sunday the 14th, and I hope he won't have to endure overly long lines.

The olympic torch passes by about three blocks from where I work next Tuesday, so I'll go check it out then. I'd like to go at least one of the community events for the torch, possibly Whistler on Friday, Abbotsford on Sunday, Surrey on Monday, West Vancouver on Wednesday, or maybe even downtown Thursday night...
        My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
          I wonder what the border line-ups will be like as well. I'll just avoid going to the USA during that time, but I am curious. A friend is picking up another friend at Sea-Tac on Sunday the 14th, and I hope he won't have to endure overly long lines.

The olympic torch passes by about three blocks from where I work next Tuesday, so I'll go check it out then. I'd like to go at least one of the community events for the torch, possibly Whistler on Friday, Abbotsford on Sunday, Surrey on Monday, West Vancouver on Wednesday, or maybe even downtown Thursday night...

It should be interesting. I love Vancouver and since I am so close I would love to go this month to do various things but I will just have to wait until March to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Step-Mom View Post
            I can't wait to see what the border looks like once the games start. I work in Blaine and take the last exit before the boarder and I begining to wonder if I will need to take an earlier exit and take back roads to avoid the lines at the border.
            I work at one of the local ski hills. On our days off we do staff trips to other hills nearby. One of the trips we are thinking about doing is to Mt. Baker, but I think so far I was the only one that realized there will be issues crossing the border during the month of February and March. Not sure how much the border crossing security is going to be heightened by, but it will be for sure. I suggested we should go to Cypress instead. :lol:

On a side note, lots of international teams are practicing here in the Okanagan. A number of Nordic teams are up at Sovereign Lake Nordic Centre at Silver Star Mountain in Vernon. The Swedish Women's Hockey Team is practicing here in Kelowna. And today I went skiing with my fellow employees to Apex; I believe the Swiss, Japanese, Americans, and Canadians are practicing freestyle and moguls skiing there. The T-Bar wasn't running during the day, but after hours they turned it on and the lights came on on the freestyle course. Saw a bunch of skiers heading up.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
              I work at one of the local ski hills. On our days off we do staff trips to other hills nearby. One of the trips we are thinking about doing is to Mt. Baker, but I think so far I was the only one that realized there will be issues crossing the border during the month of February and March. Not sure how much the border crossing security is going to be heightened by, but it will be for sure. I suggested we should go to Cypress instead. :lol:

On a side note, lots of international teams are practicing here in the Okanagan. A number of Nordic teams are up at Sovereign Lake Nordic Centre at Silver Star Mountain in Vernon. The Swedish Women's Hockey Team is practicing here in Kelowna. And today I went skiing with my fellow employees to Apex; I believe the Swiss, Japanese, Americans, and Canadians are practicing freestyle and moguls skiing there. The T-Bar wasn't running during the day, but after hours they turned it on and the lights came on on the freestyle course. Saw a bunch of skiers heading up.
              So are you asking for autographs so you can sell them on Ebay for millions of dollars?

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Step-Mom View Post
                So are you asking for autographs so you can sell them on Ebay for millions of dollars?
                No, I didn't. But my autographed Scott Niedermayer hockey stick is probably worth something.

Comment

No, I didn't. But my autographed Scott Niedermayer hockey stick is probably worth something.
                  Heck yeah it is!

Comment

The design of the medal podium has been revealed:
                    http://www.cknw.com/Pics/podiumbetter.jpg

Comment

Even David Letterman is making fun of the lack of snow on Cypress:
                      CTV British Columbia | B.C. snow woes are now international punchlines

Comment

Just got my Sports Illustrated out of the mailbox...and it's the Olympic Preview edition. Guess it's official now...
                        God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

TY fr the info. I'll look for it at the store.
                          Good morning, son
                          In twenty years from now
                          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                          And I can tell you 'bout today
                          And how I picked you up and everything changed
                          It was pain
                          Sunny days and rain
                          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Lindsey Vonn "America's Best Woman Skier Ever" is on the cover. Interesting pose, like she's in the middle of a downhill run, while flashing a pretty smile at the camera.
                            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                              Lindsey Vonn "America's Best Woman Skier Ever" is on the cover. Interesting pose, like she's in the middle of a downhill run, while flashing a pretty smile at the camera.
                              And it's getting the standard sexism/exploitation/etc. complaints.
                              My response: Hey, that's how she skis.

Interesting (and sad) article in LA Times today about Bill Johnson of 1984 Downhill fame.

Comment

:thumbup: 1 week to go!:yea:

A lot of great photos from Vancouver in this thread over at the GamesBids.com forums:
                                Vancouver "look Of The Games" Pics - GamesBids.com Forums

Go Canada Go!

Comment

:thumbup: 1 week to go!:yea:

A lot of great photos from Vancouver in this thread over at the GamesBids.com forums:
                                  Vancouver "look Of The Games" Pics - GamesBids.com Forums

Go Canada Go!
                                  The resort area folks in Big Bear Lake, in the San Bernardino Mountains outside of Los Angeles, are reporting the most snowfall, and some of the best skiing conditions in over 40 years.

Maybe VANOC can make a deal with them???

Comment

Noooooooo! The Jamaican Bobsled team didn't qualify

New York Times: Jamaican Bobsled Fails to Qualify for Games

I was really hoping to cheer these guys on and I bet people that got a hold of Bobsled tickets wanted to see them as well. Whistler lost a good attraction.

Hopefully the guys make it to Sochi. Good luck in the future Jamaican Bobsled team. :bow:

Comment

Just a week to go:

Northern House, the first of many free pavillions was open today:

A pavilion in progress - interesting combination of wooden structures and giant inflatable dome:

Alberta House under construction:

The nightly light show in Vancouver has started. You can upload your own design at Vectorial Elevation - Rafael Lozano-Hemmer, and they'll even e-mail you a photo of it:

My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

But are they getting enough snow in the mountains yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                                          But are they getting enough snow in the mountains yet?
                                          Whistler has enough, but Cypress...
                                          CTV British Columbia | No weekend ski sessions for athletes on Cypress

I feel bad for the athletes that can't get in practice runs on the course.

Apex Ski Resort in Penticton has their moguls and freestyle course setup. They shuld just send the athletes there.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X