X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics -Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010-

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
    But are they getting enough snow in the mountains yet?
    To quote David Letterman, spectators are requested to bring their own snow to the events.

They have it under control and we are assured all will go according to plan.

That does suck about the lack of practice ability though.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Just got a question for those that will be following this thread over the next few weeks...

How do you guys want to deal with spoilers; reporting on the outcomes of the various competitions?

When we had the Winter Olympics thread for Torino four years ago, we had something setup where we wouldn't report outcomes until the end of the day, but... Vancouver is in the Pacific Time Zone whereas Torino was in um, well over there in Europe. So, how do you guys want to deal with posting event outcomes? Just use the spoiler tags?

I can put a note about it in the first post of the thread.

Comment

The nice this is most results will be LIVE as we are all in the same time zone give or take a few.

The Big Events from the Downhill to Figure Skating to Hockey will be LIVE!!!

No 4a.m. Hockey Games this time around!:yea:
        -----------------------------------------------
        DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

Originally posted by PanTheMan View Post
          The nice this is most results will be LIVE as we are all in the same time zone give or take a few.
          :yea:
          Ya I think it will be ok to report the outcomes of the events as they happen as most of us are in the Pacific Time Zone.

Here's a little bit of nostalgia from July 2, 2003 when Vancouver won the bid:
          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpSqv1jx-8M"]YouTube - IOC announces Vancouver wins 2010 Olympic Winter Games (CBC)[/ame]

5 days to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
            Ya I think it will be ok to report the outcomes of the events as they happen as most of us are in the Pacific Time Zone.

5 days to go!
            Will the West Coast NBC "prime time" feed be shown live, or three hours delayed, like usual? If it's the latter, you may still want spoilers for those events.
            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
              Will the West Coast NBC "prime time" feed be shown live, or three hours delayed, like usual? If it's the latter, you may still want spoilers for those events.
              hmm, I'm not sure how it will be with NBC. I'll try and find out over at the Gamesbids forum.

In Olympic news...
              CBC News - British Columbia - Boxing 'roo wins fight at Athletes' Village

And the situation up at Cypress...
              CTV British Columbia | Mogul skiers first to try snow-challenged Cypress
              Last edited by Barbossa; 02-08-2010, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Unhappily, better have the spoiler tags ready for the at least some of the events, for U.S. viewers on the West Coast.

From an article in the Seattle Times:

So when you see "ET/PT," rest assured that means that the East Coast, the Coast That Matters, will get the event live in prime time. The rest of you will get it in prime time, too. Delayed by three hours. Even though it happened in your own time zone.
                Got it? Good. Might as well get used to it, because you're going to get the same thing next month from Vancouver/Whistler. That's right: If you're thinking you'll be able to dial up, say, the men's downhill, live at 11 a.m. from Whistler, right in your own time zone, on NBC, you're a hopeless dreamer. Odds are you'll see it on the prime-time show, sometime after 7:30 p.m. About eight hours later. And a full three hours after all your buddies on the East Coast have already seen it, commented on Twitter, discussed it with their kids and watched it two or three more times on TiVo.
                And they do this why? Because it's what you want, NBC says. They've got market research to prove it. YOU want to watch major sports half a day old, because prime time is the only time you're capable of plunking down to watch. And yep, that includes weekends.
                As I recall from the 2008 Summer Olympics, most people on this board don't care about this matter.

I think it's lousy, but I'm in the minority apparently.

P.S. Thank goodness for the live coverage NBC will be providing on its cable networks of the "lesser" events, like hockey.
                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

The Torch Relay will makes its way briefly into the US as well...
                  On Tuesday morning the torch will cross briefly into the United States at the Peace Arch border crossing before continuing on its journey through Delta, New Westminster and Tsawwassen and Ladner, to finish the day in Richmond during an evening event at the official O-zone celebration site.
                  Read more: CBC News - British Columbia - Olympic torch relay weaves through Metro Vancouver

Comment

The Governator will run with the torch as well:
                    CTV Olympics - Schwarzenegger, Buble to carry torch

Here is the list of the last bunch of celebrity torch bearers for the last two days of the relay (from http://2010vanfan.ca/2010/02/08/4-da...-torchbearers/):

Day 104 - 10-Feb-10:
                    --------------------
                    JULIE PAYETTE, Canadian astronaut
                    Torchbearer 112 at 18h07
                    Running in North Vancouver

Day 105 - 11-Feb-10:
                    --------------------
                    JANN ARDEN, award winning singer/songwriter
                    Torchbearer 174 at 15h17
                    Running at BC Children's Hospital

RICHARD BRODEUR, professional hockey player - Vancouver Canucks Alumni
                    Torchbearer 244 at 19h04
                    Running in Vancouver

MICHEAL BUBLE, award-winning singer/songwriter
                    Torchbearer 261 at 19h53
                    Running in Vancouver

Day 106 - 12-Feb-10:
                    --------------------
                    ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER, actor, Governor, State of California
                    Torchbearer 018 at 07h03
                    Running in Stanley Park

SEB COE, Olympian, Chair London 2012 Organizing Committee
                    Torchbearer 019 at 07h08
                    Running in Stanley Park

ROLLY FOX, father of Canadian cancer hero Terry Fox
                    Torchbearer 034 at 08h00
                    Running near English Bay

WALTER GRETZKY, father of Canadian hockey star Wayne Gretzky
                    Torchbearer 041 at 08h20
                    Running in Vancouver

DMITRY CHERNYSHENKO, President, Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee
                    Torchbearer 044 at 08h34
                    Running in Vancouver

GARETH REES, professional rugby player
                    Torchbearer 105 at 11h51
                    Running in Vancouver

STAN SMYL, professional hockey player, Vancouver Canucks alumni
                    Torchbearer 106 at 11h53
                    Running in Vancouver

BOB LENARDUZZI, professional soccer player, Vancouver Whitecaps alumni
                    Torchbearer 117 at 12:23
                    Running in Vancouver

LUIS PASSAGLIA, professional football player, BC Lions alumni
                    Torchbearer 118 at 12h26
                    Running in Vancouver
                    Last edited by Barbossa; 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Is it unusual to have an American carry the torch, as Schwarzenegger is, in Canada?

Especially in Vancouver? It would make more sense for him to carry it at the border, as a symbol of the relationship between Canada and the USA.

Nothing against him or an American participating in general, just kind of curious.

Comment

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
                        Is it unusual to have an American carry the torch, as Schwarzenegger is, in Canada?

Especially in Vancouver? It would make more sense for him to carry it at the border, as a symbol of the relationship between Canada and the USA.

Nothing against him or an American participating in general, just kind of curious.
                        I bet ya Gordo had something to do with it. If you look at the list, there's some people from the Sochi crew running with the torch as well.

The relay isn't just for Canadians. Anyone from any country can run with it. I believe I read on the Gamesbids boards a few people from Canada and the US signed up for the Athens torch relay and ran with it back in 2004.

If Walter Gretzky is on the list, I wonder if that means Wayne is going to light the cauldron in BC Place? He got us gold in Salt Lake, but let us down in Torino. I wonder who's going to light the cauldron?

Comment

Well I am on the East Coast, and I will gladly include spoiler tags
                          Good morning, son
                          In twenty years from now
                          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                          And I can tell you 'bout today
                          And how I picked you up and everything changed
                          It was pain
                          Sunny days and rain
                          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

For the guys: US women's ski team heats up Whistler, from the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. :thumbup:
                            CTV British Columbia | News Photo Gallery - US Ski Team heats up Whistler

With the Sea-to-Sky highway closed to general traffic, I wonder how I can sneak up there to catch a glimpse? I guess I could take the Duffy Lake road to Pemberton...

Comment

What is Arnie doing running the Torch? Did they run out of Canadians already?

next thing you know people will actually act shocked with Gretzky lights the cauldron in Vancouver Friday night...

Comment

This isn't good news.

From the article to be seen on yahoo sports -

Lindsey VonnU.S.Austria, cutting short her preparation.

Comment

Arnold Palmer has designed a number of courses in the Vancouver area.

What?

Comment

I came thiiiiiiiiis close to booking a trip to Seattle this weekend and driving to Vancouver for some Olympics. I'm Jonesing for some skiing competition.
                                    Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
                                    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

I went to the torch celebration in Surrey Monday night. Got my picture taken with a torch, and Canadian summer Olympic medal winner Daniel Igali. Saw the torch going through Surrey Tuesday morning as well.

It was nice to see the large, and enthusiastic, crowds out in force.

I was kind of wondering why Arnie would be a torch bearer. As Governor of California he wanted to bring back some of the TV and movie production lost to Vancouver. Can't fault him for that, but it doesn't make him the best friend of British Columbia.

Turns out it has more to do with environmental concerns:

CTV Olympics | Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games | Athletes & Team News, Videos, Photos | Results and Schedules, Medals, TV and Online Listings

Mr. Campbell connected with Mr. Schwarzenegger in late 2006 when he approached the California governor to discuss measures on fighting climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, according to media reports shortly afterwards.

Mr. Schwarzenegger sent staff to B.C. that helped shape the province's plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by one-third by 2020, the media reported at that time.

B.C. introduced California's tailpipe emissions standards for all new vehicles sold in the province and followed California's lead in joining the international carbon-trading market.

Also, Mr. Schwarzenegger has spoken highly of some of the initiatives that Mr. Campbell has undertaken. On NBC's Meet the Press, the California Governor has said the U.S. should look to B.C. for a model of public-private partnerships to fund expensive projects such as hospitals and highways.
                                      Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
                                      With the Sea-to-Sky highway closed to general traffic, I wonder how I can sneak up there to catch a glimpse? I guess I could take the Duffy Lake road to Pemberton...
                                      You can take Greyhound, or any other private company running busses up there.

There might be more to see in Vancouver, what with all the pavillions and such.

Comment

Originally posted by steamboatpete View Post
                                        I came thiiiiiiiiis close to booking a trip to Seattle this weekend and driving to Vancouver for some Olympics. I'm Jonesing for some skiing competition.
                                        I bet the border will be tight. The wait to get across will be insane with so many driving up each day to the events too. Between the 2, you could be at the border for hours.

I had the same thought.

Comment

I'd like all of your thoughts on this...whether you live in Canada or the U.S.

The headline in the LA Times business section today...

"Tough sledding ahead for NBC at Games" with the subhead "The network forecasts red ink of $250 million"

The network, weighed down by overpaying for rights fees, expects to lose at least $250 million on its coverage of the Games that begin Friday night. Sluggish ad sales -- at least initially -- helped dig NBC deeper into the financial hole. On top of that, there are few star U.S. athletes to whip up excitement. And on Wednesday, the top U.S. female skier, Lindsey Vonn, revealed that she bruised her shin during practice last week and might not be able to compete.

Then there's the weather. British Columbia's unseasonably warm temperatures have melted snow and increased the chances of competition-halting fog on Cypress Mountain. Organizers have been trucking in powder from hundreds of miles away.

The Olympics are the "ultimate reality show, and no one really knows how it is going to turn out," said Alan Wurtzel, NBC Universal's president of research. The drama might even make for a good reality series were not so much at stake, including what effect it might have on future rights bidding and staging of the Games.

But NBC Universal, its parent, General Electric Co., and the International Olympic Committee weren't planning on this kind of a nail-biter. Network executives had expected to grab ratings gold in large measure because of the Games' Pacific time zone locale, enabling more than half the country to watch the events live."There are not any major breakout stories or known stars," said Greg Kahn, an executive vice president at advertising firm Optimedia.

NBC is planning 835 hours of coverage over 17 days on the NBC broadcast network and cable channels USA, MSNBC, CNBC and Universal HD. Advertisers hope that millions of viewers will catch Olympic fever, with some companies shelling out $500,000 to $600,000 for prime-time commercials on the network.
                                          Here's a link to the full article.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X