This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics -Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010-

Just a quick heads up that Samantha Brown has a new show on the Travel Channel tonight, featuring a trip to Vancouver and various Olympic venues.

Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations show, that follows, has him in Vancouver as well.

If you miss Thursday's shows, they will apparently be repeated this weekend and next week.

Just so ya know -
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

An article on BBC:
      BBC Sport - Vancouver 2010 - Winter Olympics 2010 set to begin in Vancouver

Comment

A sneak peek at the outdoor cauldron? *spoiler warning*
        The Olympic Cauldron - GamesBids.com Forums - Page 41
        Don't forget, there's a cauldron inside BC Place. This one, I believe, is located between Canada Place and the new convention centre (2010 media centre)

And...
        Wayne Gretzky is not the final torch bearer, but, the media could just be saying this to make it a surprise...
        Final torchbearer not Gretzky, organizers confirm

Comment

So what did you think about the NBC story, Barbossa?
          God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Cool story about Shaun White staying with the rest of Team USA and not in a fancy hotel like some players in Beijing.

Millionaire snowboarder bunking it with the rest of Team USA - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

As far as the NBC coverage ...

Maybe if they weren't tape delaying everything, even on the West Coast where it's in our time zone people would watch more. In this day and age it's hard to stay away from the results, and most people won't care about watching once they know.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
              So what did you think about the NBC story, Barbossa?
              I think they're crybabies. Lots of people/organizations are hurting financially these days. The economic crisis hasn't ended yet. I saw a clip on the news today, Matt Lauer from the Today Show ran with the torch.

And as far as the weather goes, well, we've had good El Nino years and bad El Nino years. Good El Nino years are where our coastal mountains get a ton of snow, but a ton of rain down below. Bad El Nino years are where there's a ton of rain below, and rain on the mountains. Unfortunately we hit a bad El Nino year. Even here in the interior the weather has been weird. I'm working on a local ski hill as a lift attendant and we've pretty much have had fog most of the season. I think we only had about four days with sun. On days the hill isn't open (mon, tues, wed) we do staff trips to the other mountains in the region. We went to three other hills so far and the weather has been nothing but fog. It's just bad luck that with the weather. The latest forecast calls for lots of rain for the first four days of competition. Not good for Cypress.

Had the Olympics happened last winter, it would've been awesome. The weather was great, but cold. We had some of the coldest days I can remember. It would've been a fantastic games last winter.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                Cool story about Shaun White staying with the rest of Team USA and not in a fancy hotel like some players in Beijing.

Millionaire snowboarder bunking it with the rest of Team USA - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

As far as the NBC coverage ...

Maybe if they weren't tape delaying everything, even on the West Coast where it's in our time zone people would watch more. In this day and age it's hard to stay away from the results, and most people won't care about watching once they know.
                I will undoubtedly watch the main NBC some of the time, but much of the time it'll be CNBC or MSNBC or whatnot during the day, especially when hockey's on.

Much as I like the NHL game, the international game is more fun to watch. The rink is bigger, and there's more emphasis on skating, passing and skills and less on thuggery.

I wish the NHL could adopt the international rink size, but that would be impossible in U.S. and Canadian arenas since that would undoubtedly mean eliminating several rows of lucrative rinkside seats.

Comment

Feb 12 is here...

:yea:Let the games begin! :yea:

I don't have cable or satellite at home, so I will be watching the opening ceremonies at one of the local theatres that's going to be showing complete coverage of the games. The rest of the events I'll be watching online.

I'm just hoping the weather doesn't completely ruin these Olympics. :beg:

Comment

Looking forward to the opening ceremonies. I hope the rumors of a Rush appearance are true!!!! Would be great to see my favorite band in front of the biggest stage in the world!!!

Comment

Just had to share my sister's thoughts on the Olympics. She's an American, married to a Canadian living in Vancouver. Last night, she saw the torch go by her home (she lives on Broadway in Kits).

She said it was the most Canadian spirit she has ever seen. Hundreds of people lining the street and waving flags and ringing cowbells. She thought it was really cool.

Now, for a funny/sad story. The VanOC wanted to have some floating Olympic rings with a maple leaf (designed and made by a Texas firm) put in the Frasier River -at the mouth of the ocean. Well, they didn't take into consideration that this is one of the fasting moving rivers in North America. So, after they hired people to try and anchor the rings into the river and then the coast guard informed that before someone was killed that they had to get it out of the river.

So, they moved the rings to a field in Richmond, so that it could be seen from the sky when people come into the airport. So, they decided to fill the rings with water and cranberries to give it a red look. Now, the rings weren't designed to hold water, so it's leaking. My sister's husband has a friend that owns a tank lining business. All his workers were busy, so he called my brother-in-law who frequently helps out with the lining business. So, Paul goes to the rings and has two of the women designers help him start re-lining the rings. After a day, the women decide it's too tough and he needs to hire someone else. So, he gets a few guys from his rugby club to help out. Now, over 3 days, they have paid him well over $1500 to do this (not including what they're paying for his help) -. But, there's no way to seal all of the leaks due to the design. So they are going to pay him $200 a day - during the Olympics - to go out and fill up the rings with water every morning. This appears to be the biggest waste of time and money! Anyway, I'm glad they're giving my sister's family a little extra money, but it appears to be such a joke.

Also, they have hired outside taxi drivers (from the states) because they have some special license to drive during the Olympics - almost putting two local cab companies out of business.

I just love Olympic politics.
                      sigpic
                      Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

Very sad news coming out of Vancouver

AP source: Georgian Olympic luger dies after crash - 2010 Olympics - Yahoo! Sports

VANCOUVER, British Columbia(AP)—A men’s luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia died Friday after a crash during training, an Olympic official with direct knowledge of the situation said. The death cast a shocking pall over the Vancouver Olympics hours before the opening ceremony.

The official told The Associated Press that the International Olympic Committee received confirmation of Nodar Kumaritashvili’s death. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the 21-year-old luger’s family hadn’t been notified yet.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                          Just got home from work and saw the video clip on CTV's website. Brutal footage. My condolences to his family and his team.

Comment

NBC blows....

Why are we getting it taped delayed on the west coast?
                            -----------------------------------------------
                            DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

I agree - it should be live on the West coast!
                              sigpic
                              Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

I am watching the Opening Ceremonies and enjoying them very much. I put a VHS tape into my video recorder, so if by chance I fell asleep I could watch it tomorrow. However, it has really held my attention. I love the colors. I am really looking forward to the competition starting.

It is really sad that the games had to start with the tragic death of an athlete. May the rest be all positive.
                                BarbaraAnn

Comment

Except for the cauldron glitches, indoor, and outdoor due to the rain, and today's tragic death...

Overall it was a very beautiful opening. Great performances by Nelly Furtado and Bryan Adams (Nelly looked hot! )Excellent performance by Sarah McLachlan. Fantastic performance by K.D. Lang; she played one of my and my dad's favourite songs. And it was great to see her perform in these ceremonies as she did in Calgary in '88. With today's sad event, I thought Hallelujah was perfect. And then there was the mad fiddler Ashley MacIsaac. I thought that whole fiddler and tap dancing segment was different, but highly entertaining!

The First Nations welcoming with the welcoming poles was great. I loved it.

The snowboarder at the beginning, the projections, all fantastic. Donald Sutherland's narrations were great. They picked a good voice.

And the torch bearers. Great choices for all five. And in some small ways I have connections to three of them...
                                  Steve Nash - went to high school with a good friend of mine.
                                  Rick Hansen - a 3rd cousin of a fellow classmate of mine I went to school with since kindergarten.
                                  Nancy Greene - a hero of mine since I was little and in the Nancy Greene Ski League. I got to ski with Nancy at Sun Peaks Ski Resort and have a great chat with her. Very fine lady.

Great choices for the flag bearers!

And it was great that the flags were lowered to half mast in remembrance of Nodar and that there was a moment of silence for him. My thoughts and prayers are with the Georgian team and Nodar's family. Such a tragic loss at such a young age.

And my final thought:
                                  The best opening ceremonies for a Winter Olympics that I have seen in my lifetime. Well done Vancouver! Well done! :thumbup:

Comment

I thought it was fantastic overall. A shame about the cauldron technical glitch, but it happens I suppose.
                                    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

just finished watching the tape delay here on the west coast - I have to say that was an absolutely beautiful Opening Ceremonies. It was very unique, and I loved the sequence when the entire floor of the stadium looked like the ocean with the graphics of the orcas swimming through.
                                      Also thought it was very reverent to have the flags lowered to half mast and asked for a moment of silence for the Georgian athlete who tragically passed away. He was the same age as me and to imagine someone as young as myself losing their life so suddenly like that sort of hit home. I also thought it was very brave of the Georgian team to still participate in the parade of nations. I'm wishing the team and Nodar's family all the best during what must be a very difficult time.

but despite the tragedy, I am very much looking forward to watching the events, specifically speed skating, figure skating, and snowboarding. Having been an athlete myself for 10 years, its always inspiring to watch. Can't wait for things to get started tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by PanTheMan View Post
                                        NBC blows....

Why are we getting it taped delayed on the west coast?
                                        Same old, same old from NBC. I heard Dick Ebersol of NBC asked that question in an interview, and he said they've done extensive research and testing in five key West Coast markets, and overwhelmingly, he said, people have told them they'd rather see the prime-time show, which most of the country will get essentially live, at a time they can watch in the evening, and they don't care that much whether the events have already taken place or not.

Monday Night Football isn't delayed. Neither are the World Series or NBA Finals. But those are events meant to be watched by sports fans. The Olympics, especially in prime time, are designed to appeal to a much broader audience.

I'm in the minority - I would rather not have the additional tape delay for the West Coast. But I'm not the kind of viewer NBC is trying to attract anyway.

Thank goodness for MSNBC - tha's where I'll be watching hockey.

Comment

• Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics -Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010-

I agree to an extent that NBC should show it when people are home ... but the opening ceremonies didn't essentially start until 10pm (after the parade of nations). I don't know about most people's households, but that's when we were going to bed. And my wife and son had already crashed on the couch an hour before after a long week of work and school.

Not to even mention you could go online and find out everything about the ceremonies.

I watched some in bed, got up to the fiddlers, then crashed.

They should have cut out all the interview crap from 7:30 - 9:00 and started them at 8:00 for West Coast. Thank God for DVR so we can go through and watch the highlights from the ceremony this morning.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X