Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jimmie Johnson named AP Male "Athlete" of the year?!?!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmie Johnson named AP Male "Athlete" of the year?!?!

I'm sorry ... I know NASCAR is considered a sport, but come-on ... I think it's an absolute joke that he got voted AP Athlete of the year. Sure what he's done over the past 4 years is impressive. I would feel the same if a Jockey got voted AP Athlete of the Year.

Jimmie Johnson named AP Male Athlete of the Year - ESPN

Re: Jimmie Johnson named AP Male "Athlete" of the year?!?!

Agreed Clinks. I agree it's a great accomplishment but best athlete?

Comment

Meh. It's just an award, more to recognize the givers than the recipient.

Clinky, I hope you get over this soon. Because it just doesn't matter.
      Last edited by sediment; 12-21-2009, 03:24 PM.

Comment

If you don't think driving a racecar takes what people normally associate with atheletes...

things like
        - strength
        - endurance
        - agility
        - quick thinking

Then you're tuned out. Go race some real gokarts even and see how worn out you are after just 5-10 minutes. Now amplify that by 100x. Even normally fit or atheletic people can't tolerate the conditions in a race car. When you look at sports like F1 even... most experienced drivers can't even manage to get the lower tiered cars going.. let alone a F1 car under race conditions.

Comment

I got to go with Clinks on this one. As much as people like it, and as much of a dangerous "sport" it is, NASCAR drivers, in my opinion are not Athlete's. I will say it does take skill, but honestly, I consider WWF wrestlers athlete's more than NASCAR drivers. Just my opinion.
          "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by sgtpeper View Post
            I consider WWF wrestlers athlete's more than NASCAR drivers
            Totally Off Topic: :lol: allow me to correct you, WWF (World Wrestling Federation) got sued and in 2000 by WWF (World Wildlife Foundation) so in 2002 they now called themselves WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) :lol: wow I am such a wrestling nerd :lol:

Okay, back on topic, I totally disagree with what people are saying about NASCAR drivers not being athletes. It not only takes skill and practice to do what they do, but it takes a lot of knowledge and endurance. When these guys are racing and it's like mid 80 to the upper 100's and it's like 90 or so on the track, it can be as hot as the upper 110's to the 130's in the car and with all they wear when they drive, it's strategically proven that drivers lose almost as much as 15 pounds when they drive because it's so hot in the car. It takes a lot of mental preparation to do what they do.

Now I'm not saying that he deserved best athlete award because there's a lot more athletes that are more deserving of the award, but it's not like we're the ones who vote for these guys so maybe they saw something on him that we all don't
            Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

Comment

Isn't he the gent who does backflips off the front of his car when he wins and keeps posing for magazine covers with his shirt off?

Strangely, I don't have an opinion...but I keep watching him for some reason.

Peace,
              Roo
              husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Originally posted by sgtpeper View Post
                I got to go with Clinks on this one. As much as people like it, and as much of a dangerous "sport" it is, NASCAR drivers, in my opinion are not Athlete's. I will say it does take skill, but honestly, I consider WWF wrestlers athlete's more than NASCAR drivers. Just my opinion.
                Seriously... go race some gokarts (racing ones, not the kiddie ones you find in six flags or something) for even 10 minutes. You'll be singing a different tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Roo719 View Post
                  Isn't he the gent who does backflips off the front of his car when he wins and keeps posing for magazine covers with his shirt off?

Strangely, I don't have an opinion...but I keep watching him for some reason.

Peace,
                  Roo
                  No, Jimmie Johnson isn't the one who does the backflips off the car, that's Carl Edwards, whose also another really good driver

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLkPRAVoEs]YouTube - Carl Edwards Backflip commercial[/ame]
                  Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                    Seriously... go race some gokarts (racing ones, not the kiddie ones you find in six flags or something) for even 10 minutes. You'll be singing a different tune.
                    Yes, it does take strength and endurance, part of why they were wondering about Danica Patrick being able to drive a NASCAR as well as she drove an IndyCar, I guess the NASCAR requires more strength.

Having said that, I still don't consider it an athletic sport if people can still be in NASCAR in their 50's.
                    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisFL View Post
                      Having said that, I still don't consider it an athletic sport if people can still be in NASCAR in their 50's.
                      So Golf isn't a sport? Or running? Or Tennis? etc etc etc

And Mark Martin is the oldest driver right now and he just turned 50 this past year. That's the exception not the norm.

I happen to know many 50yr olds that would kick the #$% of most young people.

Comment

I think this pretty much concludes the argument about "athlete" and car driver.

Denny Hamlin tore his ACL ... not racing his car mind you, but playing Basketball. And he can still race with the injury. Sorry, anybody in an actual sport couldn't play with a torn ACL.

The end.

Denny Hamlin tears ACL, having surgery after season - ESPN

Comment

I am one who thinks NASCAR (and all racing drivers) are athletes, they compete in a sport, just like a Golfer. NASCAR is a very popular sport that brings in a lot of money and high ratings. How many different channels cover the sport, heck, they have their own Cable Channel (SPEED) plus coverage on ESPN/ABC/Fox/TNT and other channels. Heck, I think it gets better ratings than the NBA does.

How many football players use braces and other medical devices to help them play even if they have an injury.

But the AP is the deciding factor, and they said Jimmy Johnson was the Athlete of the year, and that is THEIR decision. I would rather seen an US Soccer player, such as Landon Donovan named, but then, some folks don't think that Soccer/Futbol is a sport, even though it is the WORLD'S Main sport. (Based on TV ratings and fan support).
                          Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

I have to say, I have driven the go carts that go like 50 miles an hour and after that your whole body feels like you went ten rounds of boxing. I tease my mom quite often about nascar and Jimmie Johnson because he has been her favorite since he first started it really is a big achievement what he has done. I'm not a fan but the guy has a huge talent.

Comment

Lol, the ad on this page is with Jimmie Johnson,lol.... anyways
                              Look at the facts Jimmie made nascar history with 4 titles in a row, think of it's history and all the great drivers who have competed in the sport, not even the king Richard Petty pulled off the feat. Secondly look at all the time and effort goes into putting the cars out on thwe track... sponsors,fabricators,engine builders,ect. Their season is almost all year round, they only have a 2 month break before they have to get back in that car beginning with testing in late January, how many sports do u know have a 10 month schedule? Also the physical shape the drivers have to be in, like many have already posted it takes alot out of the driver not just one race but the entire season. Every week your going at speeds of almost 200 miles an hour competing against 43 other drivers to be the best. For someone to continue to dominate the sport every year for the past 4 years, and yes it's a sport,I think he should have more than just 1 male athlete of the year award... oh yeah and may I remind you that it was with Jeff Gordons help that he even was able to get into the sport, when you have the help of someone like him, sooner or later you expect to be a champ. Put all those into the mix, I honestly think Nascar is the toughest sport to compete in. You can debate hockey with the fights,football with the tackling,ect.. you can debate all those but Nascar drivers I think put in the most work and the most effort into their seasons. The wrecks? I can go on and on making a case with the wrecks... to make a long debate short, just imagine the pain that is felt, hitting a wall at 200 miles an hour flipping your car over, everything a driver experiences in such a situation, it's very dangerous and as proven before, very deadly

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X