• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasJefferson
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2007

Pete Carroll coming to the Seahawks

Looks like Pete Carroll is coming to my Seahawks... reports here is it's a done deal.

I'm not sure what I think about this. He didn't have much success in the NFL before.

12/18 TC DAY

• sediment
    Banned User
    • Jan 2005

Re: Pete Carroll coming to the Seahawks

Originally posted by ThomasJefferson View Post
    Looks like Pete Carroll is coming to my Seahawks... reports here is it's a done deal.

I'm not sure what I think about this. He didn't have much success in the NFL before.
    Three years, max. Football, at every level, is about getting the right personnel as much as it is designing offensive and defensive schemes. You can work with what you have, but getting what you need is a priority.

Comment

• ThomasJefferson
      MiceChatter
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by sediment View Post
      Three years, max. Football, at every level, is about getting the right personnel as much as it is designing offensive and defensive schemes. You can work with what you have, but getting what you need is a priority.
      And being able to have the players respect you, and play hard for you. Something our former coach was unable to do.

12/18 TC DAY

Comment

• sir clinksalot
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2005

Re: Pete Carroll coming to the Seahawks?

I went ahead and put a "?" for now, since it hasn't been confirmed yet.

As a 49er fan I'm not sure I want Carroll going to a team in my division and thus having players who want to play for him. I have no loyalty when it comes to Colllege Football, so I could really care less about him leaving USC.

I think he'd probably have more success now that he's got 9 years of great former USC players that would want to play for him and has a reputation for winning.

Then again, Saban had that too and couldn't cut it in the pro's. Some coaches are just "College" coaches.

Comment

• ThomasJefferson
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2007

Clinks, you added a ? to my post? Strange to say the least.

12/18 TC DAY

Comment

• steamboatpete
            Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

• Sep 2006

It's a done deal. Book it. All my sources say there isn't even a hint of uncertainty.
            Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
            The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

• ThomasJefferson
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by steamboatpete View Post
              It's a done deal. Book it. All my sources say there isn't even a hint of uncertainty.

Maybe Clinks will let me have my title back.

12/18 TC DAY

Comment

• Radiobarry
                Angel Fan MC Man
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by steamboatpete View Post
                But again I ask, why? Why would he leave Southern California, where he is the equivalent of an NFL coach, only with much better job security? They say it's not about money for Pete. He's rolling in it anyway, and supposedly loves the LA lifestyle.

At USC, he's set up to be one of the great college coaches of all time. In Seattle, anywhere in the NFL, he's just another coach waiting to get fired eventually.

Don't understand it...unless, of course, Pete is hearing the footsteps of the posse, and is pulling a John Calipari...or, back in the day, Jerry Tarkanian. I know, those are basketball coaches. Same principle though.

In any case, if if is true, it's the best news UCLA fans have had in oh, about ten years.
                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                  MiceChatter
                  • Feb 2005

Comment

• PanTheMan
                    NEVER to Old To Fly...

• May 2005

NBC sports just reported he has indeed jumped ship.

Report: Carroll accepts Seahawks' offer | CollegeFootballTalk.com
                    -----------------------------------------------
                    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

• PanTheMan
                      NEVER to Old To Fly...

• May 2005

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                      But again I ask, why? Why would he leave Southern California, where he is the equivalent of an NFL coach, only with much better job security? They say it's not about money for Pete. He's rolling in it anyway, and supposedly loves the LA lifestyle.
                      it's ALWAYS about the Money. But then, isn't that what they teach at USC?
                      -----------------------------------------------
                      DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

• steamboatpete
                        Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

• Sep 2006

Originally posted by PanTheMan View Post
                        it's ALWAYS about the Money. But then, isn't that what they teach at USC?
                        Nope. USC teaches achievement. Money often, but not always, follows.

[None]
                        The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

• brand42
                          we jumped out a window
                          • Jun 2008

In any case, if if is true, it's the best news UCLA fans have had in oh, about ten years.
                          You can say that again!

On behalf of Bruin Nation, we support and applaud your decision, Pete!!!!

Now if there's any justice in the world, the Seahawks will play the Jets next season, Jets will win, Mark Sanchez will just walk off the field right past Carroll without shaking his hand.

Comment

• steamboatpete
                            Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

• Sep 2006

Sanchez and Carroll are still close. They traveled together to Ryan Davidson's funeral.

[None]

Comment

• H2E
                              • Jun 2006

Pete has seen the writing on the wall. USC has come under a lot of scrutiny lately. He wants to get out before the axe falls (See Reggie Bush). He has not had near the success in the pros as he has had at the collegiate level, but this will allow him to stay on the west coast and still be in the game. Good move for him I think. He's a great football mind and has a great passion for the game.

BTW...9er fan and Holmgren fan as well.

Comment

• Radiobarry
                                Angel Fan MC Man
                                • Apr 2005

I'm hearing that Seahawks fans are not exactly all jumping for joy at this news.

Pete Carroll, to take over as president of the team, or GM or whatever, and coach?

Seems like a lot for him to take on, in today's NFL. And his rah-rah style is so much better suited for college...

He must have been really ticked off if he was not consulted about Joe McKnight being held out of the Emerald Nut Bowl...
                                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

• brand42
                                  we jumped out a window
                                  • Jun 2008

I'm hearing that Seahawks fans are not exactly all jumping for joy at this news.

Pete Carroll, to take over as president of the team, or GM or whatever, and coach?

Seems like a lot for him to take on, in today's NFL. And his rah-rah style is so much better suited for college...

He must have been really ticked off if he was not consulted about Joe McKnight being held out of the Emerald Nut Bowl...
                                  Well, if you figure that Seahawk fans are most likely Washington Huskie or Washington State Cougar fans as well, they're not exactly going to embrace the Evil Emperor coming to their team, especially with his mediocre NFL track record.

Comment

• steamboatpete
                                    Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

• Sep 2006

Originally posted by brand42 View Post
                                    Well, if you figure that Seahawk fans are most likely Washington Huskie or Washington State Cougar fans as well, they're not exactly going to embrace the Evil Emperor coming to their team, especially with his mediocre NFL track record.
                                    I doubt that this would be the issue.

More interestingly, the deal was not announced today, even after the Seahawks interviewed Leslie Frazier to comply with the Rooney Rule. The reported reason - the league does not approve of the Seahawks hiring Carroll as both coach and GM/president without them giving serious consideration to a minority candidate for both positions, and Seattle's response apparently is to name Carroll as coach only.

Going to Seattle without player personnel decision-making authority might not appeal to Carroll after all, and he may take until Monday to confirm his decision.

[None]

Comment

• MickeyMousePal
                                      Animation Domination
                                      • Apr 2008

How would you feel if Pete Carroll signs up with the 49ers?
                                      "You are watching FOX"

Comment

• steamboatpete
                                        Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

• Sep 2006

No better. Why?

[None]

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X