X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Griffey Jr. retiring

Ken Griffey Jr. retiring at age 40 - Yahoo! News

He's retiring as a Mariner as it should be.

Even though he never played for my team, he's been one of my favorite players since he came into the league. Not only for his on the field play, but for his personality off the field as well. There aren't enough Ken Griffey Jr's out there anymore. See you in Cooperstown!!!

[COLOR=#366388! important][COLOR=#366388! important]Ken [COLOR=#366388! important]Griffey [/COLOR][COLOR=#366388! important]Jr[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#366388! important][COLOR=#366388! important]career [COLOR=#366388! important]home[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] run list with 630. He won an MVP award and was a Gold Glover. The only thing missing on his resume was a trip to the World Series.

A star from the get-go, he played 22 years in the majors with Seattle, his hometown Cincinnati Reds and the Chicago White Sox. He hit .284 lifetime with 1,836 RBIs.

Re: Ken Griffey Jr. retiring

You beat me to it Clinks!!!!
    Truly one of the greatest players of this era and so far the only one to come out untainted from the Steroid Era. If injuries hadnt taken their toll, he more than likely wouldve been the all time Home Run King by now. He was one of my favorite players growing up and I still have his baseball video games for the SNES/N64. A true class act and its fitting that he will retire as a Mariner.
    Thanks Junior!
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

Comment

I hope my upper deck griffey rookie cards end up being worth something

He's like the most unsung performer of the last 20 years. He came into the league like MJ sized... performed... but was never the center of attention even while cranking out HR stats. If he had managed to be more healthy at his middle years.. one can only imagine where he would could have ended up.

Good run Kenny and good luck.

Comment

^ I think I have one of those too ... I'll have to check.

Comment

That was the one of the few years I collected cards.. and that was Upper Deck's first year as I recall. I have at least two full sets.. including one sealed.. and probably 2 other griffey cards

Comment

Mariners | Ken Griffey Jr. retires | Seattle Times Newspaper

Comment

I'm glad he chose to do this instead of taking the millions by forcing the Mariners to waive him.

Comment

Junior sure picked the wrong day to retire though. :lol:

Comment

Man I remember Griffey as a kid. (Me as a kid, not him). The ridiculous over the wall catches, laying out in center field. Not to mention possibly the sweetest swing in baseball history. (Talk about poetry in motion, it was powerful yet completely effortless). He saved baseball for us kids in a time when Nolan Ryan was leaving the game and Darryl Strawberry proved he wasn't the one to carry the game. In his prime he was arguably the best player to play professional baseball.
                  In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Comment

Arguably the best player of the 90s. It was fun watching him of course at the plate, but his defense was as good as I've ever seen in center.
                    sigpic
                    Home away from Home.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X