Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

The NFL Offseason Thread (NFL Schedule released)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peyton Manning

Well that's that, I guess.

Now Niners go into damage control and get Smith signed. Might cost them a few extra bucks. Hoping Flynnibus is right and the offense progresses from what it was last year.

I do like Alex Smith and thought he showed great improvement, but you're only as good as your last game in the NFL. Let's face it, his last game wasn't very good. Too many 3 and outs with a short field handed to him on a silver platter by the Niners defense. Not entirely his fault though. Vernon Davis was really his only option throughout the playoffs. Hopefully Moss and Manningham will provide him with some better targets this season.

Of course, there still is that little issue about signing him. The media seems to have drummed up a little more drama than there really is, I'm sure. I figure he'll be signing something with the Niners very shortly. It would be pretty ridiculous to hold a grudge against them for going after one of the greatest QBs of all time. And God forbid we end up with Tim "less than 50% completion rate" Tebow.

---------- Post added 03-19-2012 at 12:27 PM ----------

Oh... and at least the Niners pursued Manning with some self respect. A secret workout and not plastering their every thought about Manning all over Twitter and the media was the way to go. Tennessee came off as a desperate schoolgirl looking for a date to prom.

Comment

I don't think alex smith signing is going to be too dramatic... its more of a make sure both sides are happy with the stability/performance metrics. Smith knows he hasn't played great enough consistently to be a hot commodity.. he also knows he doesn't want to goto a loser.. he's gotten plenty of spotlight in SF to be seen as important. But the team can also say 'consistency', 'performance year over year', etc.

This one is more of a contract dance than a flight risk.
      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Alex Smith is a big boy, he knows the business and he'll be back and everything will be fine.

It's not like they didn't just fill what was their biggest gap (WR) with the signing of Moss and Manningham. Smith knows that the team is still stacked and that he will not only have some new targets to throw to but also a full off-season with Harbaugh and the new receivers.

Not to mention the fact they are returning (with Smith) 22 of 22 starters on Offense/Defense. I predict that Crabtree will still start with Moss with Manningham playing the Slot and Ginn Jr. doing the punt/kick returns and 4th receiver. That's a pretty potent offense to go with what was already the best defense IMO.

The only bad thing is they aren't going to sneak up on anybody this year like they did last year. But they have to be among the NFC favorites along with the Packers/Saints/Giants.

This is only March, by the time July/August comes around this will be a distant memory.

As for Manning, honestly, as much as Denver paid him I'm kind of glad he didn't come to SF. As flynnibus said, it would have been short-term reward for long-term failure.

The 49ers are built for a long 5-6 year run at least. Manning would have given them 2-3 and then they would have been without a QB.

Hope Manning doesn't mind only having 1 Super Bowl win because that's all he's going to get now.

Comment

I don't have as high of hopes for Moss as you do

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

The short lived Tebow watch is over. He went to the Jets... ugh. Of all teams, blah. Tony Soprano, Sparano, loves to run that wildcat so I guess Tebow will initially be delegated to that role. I can see a whole can of worms opening if Sanchise flounders in the first couple of weeks; the entire state of New York will be going nuts to have Tebow as the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
              I don't have as high of hopes for Moss as you do
              At the very least you know that teams will have to cover him, which will open up the field to the other receivers.

Well, in theory.

Comment

Originally posted by TCadillac View Post
                The short lived Tebow watch is over. He went to the Jets... ugh. Of all teams, blah. Tony Soprano, Sparano, loves to run that wildcat so I guess Tebow will initially be delegated to that role. I can see a whole can of worms opening if Sanchise flounders in the first couple of weeks; the entire state of New York will be going nuts to have Tebow as the starter.
                OMG.. I literally laughed out loud when I read this.. and I'm sitting in a technical training today. (well, 12hr days x 5 days.. but different story).

Sanchez has been a huge story in his consistency, and the world has been ripping the Jets for him being coddled, the locker room problems, and then on top of all that giving him a huge contract extension without addressing the coddling. Oh man, they just added another ring to that circus!

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 02:19 PM ----------

Commentary about the 49s flirting with Manning and impact on Smith

San Francisco 49ers should never have sought Peyton Manning - ESPN

It's slightly dated now since Smith has resigned... for what we can see is FAR FAR below what the Franchise Tag costs are (8 mil vs 14 mil).

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                  OMG.. I literally laughed out loud when I read this.. and I'm sitting in a technical training today. (well, 12hr days x 5 days.. but different story).

Sanchez has been a huge story in his consistency, and the world has been ripping the Jets for him being coddled, the locker room problems, and then on top of all that giving him a huge contract extension without addressing the coddling. Oh man, they just added another ring to that circus!

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 02:19 PM ----------

Supposedly they brought him in for his leadership qualities but I pose this question... How is a BACKUP quarterback going to lead a locker room? Especially that lock room with loudmouths and all around malcontents Oh man, I wasn't going to get NFL ticket this year but these recent occurrences have me changing my mind. To see my Fins play a Saint Tebow led Jets would be ...... heavenly )

Comment

He could be headed elsewhere. There is a dispute over how much of his 2012 salary gets paid by Denver and how much gets paid by New York.
                    Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
                    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

The Jets don't make any sense. If the Jets were smart they'd back out of the deal, let Tebow head home to Jacksonville and then make some kind of deal for Gabbert or something. The fans in Jacksonville won't allow anybody else to start at QB other than Tebow.

They aren't going to win crap, but they are going to sell-out every game.

I also went ahead and renamed this the NFL Offseason thread. I'll update the title as big news comes out of the league.

So ... what does everybody think of the other big news ... the suspensions for the Saints for BountyGate?

I think the biggest thing that could possibly come out of this would be the Saints inability to now Franchise Breese which could make him a free agent. Do you think he would abandon his adopted city because of this?

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                        The Jets don't make any sense. If the Jets were smart they'd back out of the deal, let Tebow head home to Jacksonville and then make some kind of deal for Gabbert or something. The fans in Jacksonville won't allow anybody else to start at QB other than Tebow.

They aren't going to win crap, but they are going to sell-out every game.

I also went ahead and renamed this the NFL Offseason thread. I'll update the title as big news comes out of the league.

So ... what does everybody think of the other big news ... the suspensions for the Saints for BountyGate?

I think the biggest thing that could possibly come out of this would be the Saints inability to now Franchise Breese which could make him a free agent. Do you think he would abandon his adopted city because of this?
                        They got what they deserved. Sean Payton lied 3 times to the Goodell's face about knowledge of the bounty situation behind the scenes and directed his staff to cover up any evidence of encouraging bounties. I believe that's why they got nailed so hard. My personal opinion is that they should all be penalized indefinitely like Gregg Williams. I was listening to 710 AM and they were saying back when they played the Vikings there were like 4+ penalties for excessive roughness against Favre. Insane, that kind of stuff can end a person's career for example purposely aiming low at the QB's knee to knock him out of the game. A torn ACL/MCL can end careers. Their filthy organization got everything they had coming to them.

Comment

Re: The NFL Offseason Thread (Saints Suspensions upheld)

No surprise here:

NFL upholds suspension of New Orleans Saints' Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis and Joe Vitt - ESPN

Comment

surprising they didn't reduce it at all though - normally they reduce most player smacks a bit. They really are taking the hard line on this. Waiting for the player side of this to come out and seeing how much the NFLPA tries to block punishments.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Schedule was released today.

NFL Schedule: 2012 Regular Season Week 1 Schedule

Some interesting games right off the bat on week 1.
                              49ers at Packers
                              Steelers at Broncos

Of course, the NFL thinks that the same-old Giants/Cowboys is better than those two games to start off the season.

Week 2 we have a rematch of the 49ers and Lions and if any more post-game fireworks are set off between the coaches. Also have Bears/Packers which is always a good game.

Week 3 highlight for me is Patriots vs Ravens. Brady vs. Lewis is always good IMO.

By Week 4 when the Jets travel to SF we'll see if Tebow is the starting QB. Saints/Packers and Giants/Eagles is another good one this week.

Week 5 gives us the Broncos vs Patriots and a battle for PA between the Eagles/Steelers.

By Week 6 we should start knowing who is for real and who is not as the Packers head to Houston to take on the Texans, and we get an NFC Championship rematch.

At first look, my 49ers have a pretty tough schedule this year, but I think we can handle it. Looking forward to the new season already.

Comment

Re: The NFL Offseason Thread (NFL Schedule released)

From a kid from HOUSTON I just want to say goo Texans. the city is so excited to have 5 prime time games even thought this is a very hard schedule we are confident to be back at the playoffs.
                                Disney Love from HOUSTON TEXAS!!
                                GO TEXANS, ROCKETS, ASTROS AND COOGS!!!

Comment

Re: The NFL Offseason Thread (NFL Schedule released)

Tonight is the big night. Good luck to everyone in the draft. I'm sure my GM will flounder once again, but you gotta keep the faith!

Comment

I think the Colts have made the right move taking Luck.
                                    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Working...
                                    X