This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels break off talks with Anahiem; talking now with Tustin

As a life long Angels fan (yes the team did exist before 2002) this would hurt. However it offers one thing Disneyland needs...land and lots of it. That would be about the only positive thing to come of th Angels moving to Tustin.

Angels end stadium negotiations with Anaheim; Tustin on deck? - LA Times

Re: Angels break off talks with Anahiem; talking now with Tustin

Oh, hell no.
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

Angel Stadium is too far from the existing parks to be practical. There would have to be some kind of expanded Monorail or some other form of quick transportation between parks and hotels, not to mention year-round foot traffic competing with the seasonal traffic of the Honda Center and The Grove and being right next to the freeway.
      Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

I suppose it depends on how much more local control the City of Anaheim wants to give Disney in City affairs... I'm not sure I'd want to be negotiating with Disney Lawyers instead of rte Moreno...

But would Anaheim even consider selling the land to Disney? Would Disney even consider "leasing" the land instead of owning it? Is the Anaheim Stadium site too far away from the resort district to make it a viable option for a 3rd gate?

The City has wrestled for years over it's relationship with Disney. The Hotel worker's issues make the idea of giving Disney more power in their relationship unpalatable in a political sense to the City.

But it is a HUGE chunk of land very close to the DLR...

I think Anaheim would be better off letting Moreno pay for the redevelopment of the current site and reap the profits - the City will reap the tax income from residential and commercial development. But if the City prompts Moreno to move to Tustin, (there is no real viable alternative - unless the Angels beat the Dodger in the World Series and want to "own" L.A. - which has always been a "Dodger Town") it's a large piece of land and Anaheim could do worse than selling it to Disney and letting them "re-imagineer" the resort district, but politically, it's risky.

Comment

Yes, but "year-round foot traffic" will drive revenues and tax receipts for the City up. It might even help tie the resort district together with the Honda Center and make the land from the 57 all the way to the Resort District more valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
            But would Anaheim even consider selling the land to Disney? Would Disney even consider "leasing" the land instead of owning it? Is the Anaheim Stadium site too far away from the resort district to make it a viable option for a 3rd gate?
            I think at this point Disney has their heart set upon using the Toy Story Lot as the site of the third gate and have already set up future plans with the city for that plot.
            "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
            "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

Three simple words....

Super Parking Structure!

Comment

I don't foresee them going anywhere to be honest. I am sure the organization will come to some terms with Anaheim and work it out.

Moreno must be looking at cities down in South Orange County. Irvine, Tustin, and that general area are really the only places I can think of that have tons of land still.

Comment

Originally posted by TFN5459 View Post
                  I think at this point Disney has their heart set upon using the Toy Story Lot as the site of the third gate and have already set up future plans with the city for that plot.
                  Is there evidence of this or just speculation?

Comment

Originally posted by DrFink View Post
                    Angel Stadium is too far from the existing parks to be practical. There would have to be some kind of expanded Monorail or some other form of quick transportation between parks and hotels, not to mention year-round foot traffic competing with the seasonal traffic of the Honda Center and The Grove and being right next to the freeway.
                    I imagine them expanding their bus transportation similar to how WDW functions. I regularly take 30 minute bus rides to get from hotels to the parks at WDW. It's only 2 miles from Angel Stadium to Disneyland, which is a lot closer than many bus rides you'd wind up taking at WDW. It would be pretty great if they could fit a park and a Disney hotel on this site. Additionally, the surrounding lots seem to be more industrial compared to the hotel uses that currently surround Disneyland. Disney could buy out more of this land at cheaper rates than they would trying to expand around DL.

Too bad this is probably all a pipe dream. I suspect that the Angels wind up staying where they are.

Comment

The only land left in OC seems to be the late MCAS El Toro and MCAS Tustin. Plenty of land after it is superfund cleaned up.

They would have to connect with a monorail somehow. There is already a ton of traffic and dozens of more buses will not completely alleviate all of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X