• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScarLion
    replied
    Re: Good and Bad Team Names

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Raiders and Buccaneer's - Your mascot's are both pirates. One of you call yourselves the Pirates already.
    I believe after Super Bowl XXVII (Bucs 48, Raiders 21), we found out who the real pirates of the NFL are!! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• seafaring_ghost
    replied

If you want regional ones... heres one named for a defunct automobile companies product..... the South Bend Silverhawks (formerly the South Bend White Sox which was plain laziness in naming a minor league team identical to its major league counterpart) , named for the Studebaker Silverhawk

Leave a comment:

• mouseinphilly
    replied

The "ph" is the "f" sound, and it refers to "Phillies".

That and some late 1970's marketing as well.

And have you noticed the "disaster" type of names, like "Chicago Fire" ('74 World Football League, current MLS), "Carolina Hurricanes" (NHL), "Dallas Tornado" (NASL) "Toledo Storm" (old and future ECHL team) and "San Jose Earthquakes" (old NASL, 2008 MLS) just to name them all? What is going on with this, are weatherpeople marketing?

Leave a comment:

• sir clinksalot
    replied

Question, why is it the Philly Fanatic and not the Philly Phanatic?

Leave a comment:

• mouseinphilly
    replied

The Phillies name is the oldest continuous nickname in professional sports, dating back to the teams' orgins in 1883. They actually tried to change the name twice, the most recent in the 1940's with "Blue Jays", but that didn't work out too well.

Leave a comment:

• Xharryb
    replied

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Aah, for the days of the old World Football League.

(Seven-point touchdowns followed up by the "action point") ...

I went to the "Southern California Suns" home opener at the Big A in July 1974...they beat the "Hawaiians" 38-33.

Other original teams...

Memphis Southmen
    Jacksonville Sharks
    New York Stars
    Philadelphia Bell
    Portland Storm
    Portland Thunder
    San Antonio Wings
    Shreveport Steamer
    Toronto Northmen
    Virginia Ambassadors
    Washington-Baltimore Ambassadors

Any wonder the league went under the next year?
    You can find shirts for most of those at the site I posted about earlier this morning. Pretty amusing stuff.

Leave a comment:

• FrumiousBoojum
    replied

Buckeyes are poisonous, you know.

And the current name of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of San Antonio of Brooklyn of Upper Sandusky of the South of Ulm, or whatever they're called now, is rather bad.

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

Although Buckeyes is a great sounding name, it's a nut, which cracks me up. "And now, here come the fierce, the aggressive, NUTS!!" :lol:

Leave a comment:

• sir clinksalot
    replied

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I think the original point is that the nickname of a team should somehow strike fear into the heart of the opposition, or at least sound cool, and Padres, like Angels, might not exactly measure up..
    Exactly. So while the names of teams like Dodgers, Lakers, Canucks, etc might mean something ... they don't exactly leave the opposition shaking in their booties.

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied

I'm just loving the MC Sports Zone today!

Good football: I have to add the Vikings. Minnesota is very Scandanavian, and it just fits for a football team.

I also will say the Cardinals get a pass from me as well as the Packers, since the team names have such history. It kills me to say that with the Packers too. I also don't mind the Browns, even if they're named for Joe Lewis who has no connection to the team.

Bad: The Jets would have been better had they stuck with being the Titans, plus I'm not a fan of the whole Nets, Mets, Jets thing.

I do really like the Rockies, plus it has a historical tie to the region with the former NHL team of the same name.

I'm going to say the Devil Rays, or the Rays as they'll be known starting next year is not a good name. Sting Rays would have been much better.

I have mixed feelings on franchises that don't change the name when they move to a new city. The Lakers, being from Minneapolis, make no sense in LA, as a Minnesotan, the name was perfect for the city.

The Dodgers though, I don't mind this one. The Athletics, while a little big of an arrogant name, it has tradition, and not just with the team itself, soccer teams world-wide use Athletic as part of the name. I also think the SF Giants works fine as well.

The real stupidity of not changing names comes from the NBA though. The Jazz is just a horrible name for a team in Utah, plus it helped bring us the Starzz, the Buzz, and the Grizzlies. Who knew "zz" was so versatile. Speaking of Grizzlies, how many Grizzlies live near Memphis? They needed to change that one too.

I have to say, the Timberwolves, Bucks, Warriors, Knicks and Celtics are all great names that fit their origins. The Hornets do as well. Naming your team the Bobcats, because the owner's name is Bob? Lazy.

The Raptors, now prior to Jurassic Park, how many people knew what a Raptor was? The Wizards, while more P.C. than the Bullets just sounds lame in comparison. The Magic, while I get the whole "Magic Kingdom" thing, it really doesn't work for me.

Ok, so that brings me to hockey, man what a screwed up sport.

The Devils is a great name for the team, with the whole folklore of the New Jersey Devil. Penguins is another great name for a sport on ice. Canucks, I like, they're sort of like the Canadian version of a Yankee. The Wild is a great name because of it's double meaning, but mainly the team is named after the Minnesota Wilderness, thus the logo with trees, etc. The Blues is a good fitting name for St. Louis.

There are so many bad names in hockey. The Maple Leafs, so the plural form of Leaf is Leaves, leave it to Canadians. Oh wait, look Canadians, not so original, even if they are Original 6. Rangers, someone want to explain where exactly the "range" is on Manhattan? Red Wings, great logo, lousy name. Stars, unoriginal, if we play in Texas, we gotta have a Star, so why not just go with Stars and drop the word "North" (I may just be bitter on this one). Ducks is much better than the Mighty Ducks, but still not intimidating.

I'm going to say that most of the Big Ten Conference has great names. Buckeyes, Hawkeyes, Wolverines, Golden Gophers, Nittany Lions, Hoosiers, Boilermakers, Fighting Illini, Badgers. I can look past the common Wildcats and Spartans.

The SEC, not quite as creative, Gators, Volunteers, Razorbacks, Gamecocks and Crimson Tide don't quite make up for two sets of Tigers, two sets of Bulldogs, Wildcats and Rebels. (If another school in your conference has the same mascot, maybe you should look into changing it.)

The Pac 10, Sun Devils, Beavers, Cardinal and Ducks. Then you get the rather dull Wildcats, Huskies, Cougars, Bruins, Bears and Trojans. (Enough with the Wildcats already)

I do like the Big 12, Huskers, Longhorns, Jayhawks, Cyclones, Buffaloes, Sooners and Red Raiders though then you get the Wildcats (yet again) Bears, Aggies, Cowboys and more Tigers.

I'd do more conferences, but it's just more of the same.

A few mid-majors, I do love the Anteaters (again, I'm probably partial). I do have to give credit to some other schools out there though, the Presbyterian Blue Hose is a good one and the Western Carolina Leathernecks are two pretty good ones.

Leave a comment:

• mouseinphilly
    replied

And that was adapted from another minor league team pre-1958. Hey, who remembers the Hollywood Stars?

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

The Angels started out as the Los Angeles Angels and changed their name to the California Angels after they moved to Anaheim. As much as I hate it, the Los Angeles Angels makes sense because Los Angeles is the Spanish word for Angels.

Leave a comment:

• steamboatpete
    replied

Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
    College: Cocks, Beavers, Anteaters and Ducks. Ooooh, scary!! And two of those are a little bit dirrrty.
    The Trojans against the 'Cocks and the Beavers always make for some punny T-shirts. Best ever: "Your Trojans can't cover our Cocks." Worst? "Go Trojans. Split the Beavers."

Leave a comment:

• steamboatpete
    replied

My least favorite sport team names:

NFL: Browns. Makes more sense than, say, the St. Louis Frontieres, but only slightly.

MLB: A's. A name that makes you want to kick them.

NBA: Jazz. I tend to hate names that don't end with an 's' and this is maybe the least suitable of all of them.

NHL: Canucks. Now that the Ducks are no longer Mighty.

College - Major: Stanford Cardinal. Not the Cardinals. The Cardinal.

College - Lower Division: The UC Santa Clara Banana Slugs and/or Whittier Poets.

Soccer: L.A. Galaxy.

Leave a comment:

• mouseinphilly
    replied

I'll see that and raise you the North American Soccer League...

Dallas Tornado, Philadelphia Fury, the Caribou of Colorado, the L. A. Aztecs, the San Diego Sockers, the Chicago Sting...

I could go on.

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Check out the WNBA team names. It's chock full of stupid names.

Chicago Sky (because it's, blue??)
    Connecticut Sun (because sunshine is the first thing I think about when I hear Connecticut)

The list goes on.
    Aah, for the days of the old World Football League.

(Seven-point touchdowns followed up by the "action point") ...

I went to the "Southern California Suns" home opener at the Big A in July 1974...they beat the "Hawaiians" 38-33.

Other original teams...

Memphis Southmen
    Jacksonville Sharks
    New York Stars
    Philadelphia Bell
    Portland Storm
    Portland Thunder
    San Antonio Wings
    Shreveport Steamer
    Toronto Northmen
    Virginia Ambassadors
    Washington-Baltimore Ambassadors

Any wonder the league went under the next year?

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

Look out!! Here comes the Santa Rosa Franciscan Monks! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• stinkerbell
    replied

College: Cocks, Beavers, Anteaters and Ducks. Ooooh, scary!! And two of those are a little bit dirrrty.

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

Originally posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    The Padres were named for the Missions that are around the San Diego area, and also the fact that a couple of teams are named after old minor league baseball teams - the Baltimore Orioles, Milwaukee Brewers and the Florida (Miami) Marlins - as well as the other reason the Padres were named, for the Franciscian monks that "Keep the faith".
    I think the original point is that the nickname of a team should somehow strike fear into the heart of the opposition, or at least sound cool, and Padres, like Angels, might not exactly measure up.

Note - while there originally was a minor league Milwaukee Brewers, the curret major league franchise started out as the American League Seattle Pilots, without whom we might never have had Jim Bouton's classic "Ball Four".

Leave a comment:

• mouseinphilly
    replied

The Padres were named for the Missions that are around the San Diego area, and also the fact that a couple of teams are named after old minor league baseball teams - the Baltimore Orioles, Milwaukee Brewers and the Florida (Miami) Marlins - as well as the other reason the Padres were named, for the Franciscian monks that "Keep the faith".

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X