This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Talking Baseball: The Postseason Thread

The Red Sox pulse line is showing no activity at the moment... A 3 -1 series lead would be just about fatal and this certainly isn't 04. They have 4 innings to get things together but for now they trail by 7... I am more than a little shocked to tell the truth. Wow.

Comment

And then 3 straight HR's. LOL. Thanks for making it a game.

Comment

Come on Manny. Run the bases!
        sigpic
        Home away from Home.

Comment

So now it is done and the Red Sox sit down 3 games to 1. I thought this was going to go 7 games but...

Comment

awe, that's to bad. If they don't win the series the world series will be boring. I have no interest in watching the other two teams.

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
              awe, that's to bad. If they don't win the series the world series will be boring. I have no interest in watching the other two teams.
              Really? I would have been bored if it was the Red Sox. They JUST won. As a Yankees fan you should be THRILLED that Boston probably won't win. Oh, that's right, Yankees fan's don't care about watching any team this side of the Hudson. My bad.

I'm excited for the series. The Rockies, a team that has NEVER won a world series (or any playoff series) for that matter. And the Indians, a team that hasn't won a series since what ... 1946 or something?

Of course the Indians still have to win 1 more game, but it's looking good.

Comment

Postseason resumes tonight (10/18) at Cleveland, but don't count the Red Sox out of it yet...

Remember 2004? The Old Town Team was down 0-3 and roared back against the Yankees to win eight in a row, including the sweep of the Cardinals to break The Curse of the Bambino. And I don't have to remind Angels fans about 1986 when Boston was literally down to its' last strike and the memorable quote after Dave Henderson's home run:

Originally posted by Al Michaels, 1986 ALCS Game 5
                "Anaheim Stadium was one strike away from Fantasyland."
                That led to another classic Gene Mauch choke. Much like 1964 (which for Phillies fans after the epic collapse of the New York Metropolitans is just another year) and 1982 (Brewers fans remember it well).

Comment

It's funny but I love it when people say they have no interest. New York was all excited for the "Subway series" and it turned out to be one of the least watched in history.

The teams that deserve to be in the series will be there. The minute you start to say MLB wants a specific team in the series is the day people start thinking the game is fixed.

Comment

I really don't care about the television ratings. I have been watching the games, and it has been a lot of fun. What I like about the teams left, is that they don't have a lot of post season success. So they may appreciate the being there a little more than some of the other clubs.
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Anybody else hear what Manny had to say on Wednesday about being down 3 games to 1 to Cleveland?

"If it doesn't happen, who cares?" Ramirez said Wednesday afternoon. "There's always next year. It's not like it's the end of the world."
                      sigpic
                      Home away from Home.

Comment

The media is overreacting, as expected. Manny is right, it's not the end of the world if they don't win. He didn't say he wasn't going to show up and try hard. He's probably their best hitter in this postseason, so he definitely said it wrong, but I agree with him. Of course, I'm rooting for the Indians, too...

I think the doom and gloom on the ratings is being overhyped. To quote Manny, who cares? The World Series is already paid for. Fox has already paid MLB, and the advertisers, most of them anyway, have already paid Fox. So only the advertisers would be disappointed with poor ratings. But just to say ratings are down and that makes it a bad World Series is wrong. The Rockies, and Indians if they finish off Boston, both play outstanding baseball. Personally, I love the fact that two teams with low payrolls could be in the World Series (and 3 of the final four had low payrolls), while Boston, Anaheim and Philadelphia could all be sitting on the sidelines.

My friend's father in law is a die hard Boston fan and he asked him who cares about the Rockies streak, because who have they played? I looked it up quickly. Four teams in the NL West finished above .500, compared to three in the AL East. The Rockies during their streak played all of those three teams above .500 and all were fighting for playoff spots at the time they played them. Boston, in contrast, had losing records to the other teams with records over .500, Toronto and the Yankees and when you take away their early 4 game sweep over the Yankees, they were 4-10 against New York.

They need to fix the schedule. Boston is getting downright pampered. Play one game against the Angels, then a day off. Play two at Cleveland, then take a day off. Come on, just play the games. The fragile little Red Sox can handle it.

I'm working on yet another baseball theory, as a Dodger fan, that the Dodgers are responsible for the ruination of the Red Sox. Buckner blew the World Series in 1986, which farm system did he come from? Dodgers. Grady Little left Pedro in too long, which farm system did Pedro come from? Dodgers (just don't remind me of that horrible DeShields trade!). Dave Roberts is a key reason they won the World Series, but he wasn't from their farm system, so by the same token I can't blame Drew or Lugo if they blow it this year. But Gagne! What farm system did he come from? Dodgers. (OK, it's a stretch...)

Comment

yeah so.....the sox are going to win today like everyone knows
                          Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Yeah, I know the media is magnifying this story up more than it really is.

You know I'm going to say this. This is just Manny being Manny! (God, I hate that phrase).
                            sigpic
                            Home away from Home.

Comment

At least Manny didn't pee in the green monster. Wait, scratch that.

Comment

Boston forces a game 6 on Saturday.

Josh Beckett has been spectacular this postseason hasn't he.
                                sigpic
                                Home away from Home.

Comment

Good game. Became a blowout late. I was hoping Cleveland would slay the beast. Going back to Boston it's anyone's series.

Comment

And it looks like there's a Game Seven manana (Sunday 10/21). Whomever wins that game will go in on a roll bigger that Colorado's.

Comment

Originally posted by mouseinphilly View Post
                                      And it looks like there's a Game Seven manana (Sunday 10/21). Whomever wins that game will go in on a roll bigger that Colorado's.
                                      How do you figure? The Rockies are unbeaten in the playoffs and have won 21 of their last 22. Their only problem...the 8-day layoff. Yes, the AL winner will have some momentum, but they'll sit two days before the Series is finally allowed to start by the great gods of FOX TV on Wednesday nght.
                                      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

May I remind you the Detroit Tigers last year won the pennant in the American League and waited a whole week before playing their first World Series game against St. Louis. The Cards won the series in five games.

Whomever wins the tie-breaker game this evening (10/21) will have more momentum than the Rockies, as Colorado has had to wait eight days before Wednesday's (10/24) first game. I see a minimum of four games and no less than five games played before the American League team wins this year's World Series.

Comment

Here's your World Series schedule:

Colorado Rockies vs. Boston Red Sox

October 24 @ Boston, 8:35 PM
                                          October 25 @ Boston, 8:30 PM
                                          October 27 @ Colorado, 8:35 PM
                                          October 28 @ Colorado, 8:30 PM
                                          October 29 @ Colorado, 8:30 PM*
                                          October 31 @ Boston, 8:30 PM*
                                          November 1 @ Boston, 8:35 PM*

* - If Neccessary. All times EDT and all games on FOX and ESPN Radio.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X