This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Wrigley Field Thread

One of the very first photos that I took was this one looking down Waveland Avenue. The ballpark is on the right, and you can see the manual scoreboard that the Cubs use. If you look in the far right, you can see one of the many buildings that has rooftop seating. The neighbors around Wrigley have even gone so far as to build thier own Bleachers on top of their buildings.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

When I was a kid, these rooftop bleachers did not exist. After the Cubs got to the playoffs in 1984, a lot of things changed around Wrigley Field. I remember when the buildings on Waveland used to just have a few people watching from their upper story apartments.
      BarbaraAnn

Comment

Notice the clever words Brixen Ivy on this building, which also sits on Waveland Avenue.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

You want to view the game from one of these prime spots? Visit the website, or call the phone number. I am sure it comes at a hefty price.
          BarbaraAnn

Comment

GO CUBS !!!!

It WILL happen.

Comment

Construction is going on on this building on Sheffield.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

A friend of mine was there last weekend from Phoenix and she took one of our travelling gnomes with her.

You can see the scoreboard in the background where it says Wrigley Field.
                sigpic

Comment

Great picture inside of Wrigley. Thanks for sharing.
                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

This past summer I went on a baseball trip and went to Wrigley and Fenway. I also went to Comerica in Detroit and Yankees stadium.

My best score ever!

Comment

I remember your report of that trip.
                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

I love ballparks. I used to be able to say I visited every major league ballpark in California but now the Giants play at Pac Bell Park (I know the name is different now but I don't remember it) and the Padres now play at Petco Park. So now it's back down to 3.

I would love to see Wrigley Field some day. Too bad I never got to see Wrigley field in Los Angeles! LOL]

It's pretty interesting to note that with all the teams moving around and getting new stadiums these days, the 4th oldest ballpark currently being used in the major leagues is Dodger Stadium! And it may actually be the 3rd oldest after the Yankees move to their new stadium!

Comment

They are constantly trying to improve Wrigley Field, so they don't have to build a new ballpark. I really like the fact that Wrigley is right in the middle of a thriving community. I used to ride my bicycle around the park as a kid. When I was down there yesterday, there were a lot of people, out and about, soaking up the atmosphere.....and there wasn't even a game that day.
                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

The whole neighborhood around the park is soo much fun! My friend and I stayed in the Lincoln Park area and we spent hours just wandering around!

My best score ever!

Comment

As I walked down Sheffield Avenue, I noticed what I refer to as the "Hole In the Wall". You can stand there and look inside the ballpark. I understand that Wrigley Field has been resodded for the Playoffs. The Cubs will play there this coming Saturday.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

I also love the ballpark in the neighborhood setting.

The old stadiums had the crazy dimensions and walls that jutted out and so forth out of necessity to physically fit into the space.

I grew up in Southern California in the era of sprawling suburbia, and the larger symmetrical ballparks with acres and acres of parking surrounding them. (Dodger Stadium is near downtown LA, but in a large bowl of hillsides where they were able to build.)

It's interesting that the new faux old fashioned parks are copying the designs of the old...and now you have parks like Camden Yards and Petco Park that use existing old building as part of the design.
                                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

With that said, I do prefer the sightlines in Sox Park, over Wrigley. The best place in Wrigley to sit, are of course the box seats and the bleachers. They build baseball stadiums differently, now, of course.
                                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                                    With that said, I do prefer the sightlines in Sox Park, over Wrigley. The best place in Wrigley to sit, are of course the box seats and the bleachers. They build baseball stadiums differently, now, of course.
                                    To me, the new "Comiskey" or "Sox Park" looked just too big. Of course, I only saw it in person sitting right across from the old Comiskey the year before it went into use.

I believe this is still true, but I remember reading at the time (1991) that the new park was the only major league park in the country where home plate faced south, rather that north.

A "fun fact" if you will.
                                    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

This is what I refer to as the backside of Wrigley Field. It is the entrance to the Bleachers. The Bleachers are a great place to view the ballgame. I remember when I would get out my schedule for the season, and go down to the Ballpark's ticket window. I'd pick out a game for each team the Cubs played during the season. For $5 a game, I could watch baseball in the bleachers all summer. I often saw Bill Veeck sitting under the scoreboard, in the centerfield bleachers.
                                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

The Bleachers have recently been renamed the BudLight Bleachers. Lots of beer is consumed by the fans there. I don't drink beer, but I probably came home many times smelling like it. The fans can get pretty rowdy, and the beer vendors sold a lot of beer on a hot summer day at the park. I passed a lot of it down.
                                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Notice the way the Bleachers overhang the sidewalk? This is a recent change to the Bleachers. They figured out that they could safely do that, and increase the crowd capacity at the park.
                                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X