Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should There Be a Charger game in San Diego this weekend?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should There Be a Charger game in San Diego this weekend?

The mayor of San Diego will announce his decision later this morning. Possibilities include pushing the game back to Monday night at Qualcomm, or have it be played in either Houston (the Texans are the scheduled visitor), or a more neutral site such as Dallas. According to ESPN, Phoenix and LA have been ruled out.

I think that even though conditions are improving with the fire situation, it's too soon to play an NFL game in San Diego. Even if they don't need the "Q" as an evacuation center by then, it would still just seem "inappropriate" to me.

What are your thoughts?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Should There Be a Charger game in San Diego this weekend?

No, there is no need to have the game at Qualcomm

And there is also no reason to have it in Houston, that is an unfair advantage to the Texans.

And Dallas is lot closer to Houston than San Diego.

When the Cedar Fire required the Chargers to play a ame a few years ago away from Qualcomm, they played at the Arizona State University Stadium, and it is available.

But it is no longer an NFL stadium, so the NFL won't deal with them.

The new Cardinals stadium is already booked with a motorcycle show (with lots of piles of dirt), so that is out.

They looked at the LA area, but not seriously, because of all the other fires.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

I think the best option would be to postpone the game, regardless of the monkey wrench it would throw into the NFL's scheduling.

Other things to consider:

The air quality...should the players and spectators be subjected to it?

Plus the fact...the fires are still being fought even if things are getting better...and they certainly won't be out by next Monday.
      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Absolutely not. Not only would it be inappropriate, IMO, but with the air quality issues there's no reason to have it at Qualcomm

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Agreed. Safety and health concerns should be the 1st priority.

Comment

I still say that Los Angeles would be a good home for this week in spite of what the NFL thinks.

Comment

Honestly I think they should postpone the game, as an avid NFL fan if my city was under disaster due to fire and I was a ticket holder and was unable to attend the game because it was being held 4 states away, that would just add insult to injury.

If they can not hold the game in a place where fans can easily attend (and have at least moderate air quality), they should postpone it.

Moving it to anyplace in Texas, or anywhere too far for Charger fans to attend would shift or at least have an impact on home field advantage which isnt fair.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

When you think about it, this is the first smoke-related problem the NFL has had since...well, since Ricky Williams.

Comment

I heard from a friend in Tempe that the game was going to be at ASU on Monday. We went to the one a few years ago and it was very poorly handled. If they do it again, I hope they do it differently.
                  Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                  Help support the site you love:
                  -Visit the MiceChat store
                  Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                  MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Now it sounds like it will be held at Qualcomm, maybe on Monday night though instead fo Sunday.

The Rose Bowl and the Coliseum were ruled out since they didn't meet NFL standards.

And that sounds like the same reason they won't use the ASU stadium.

http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/si...d=512588&rfi=6

We should know by the end of the day, maybe tomorrow morning....

Comment

A news report has stated that the Qualcomm Stadium Evacuation is closing down, as there is much less need for it, as many areas are re-opening. They are starting to find other locations for those remains=ing, and cleaning up the place.

Sounds like the Chargers are planning to play at home.

And don't forget, at least 20 players were forced to evacuate their homes due to the fires.

I presume a major fund raising event will be held in association with the game, with folks asking for donations at the turnstiles.

Since things are getting better, it sounds like the best option. (I really don't like the option of playing the game in Houston, that is usually worth 3 or so points in the eyes of the bookies, and is an unfair advantage. Dallas is a bit better, but there are plenty of teams that have a bye week this week...

>>Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Dallas, Kansas City, Seattle<<

Why not Seattle? Or maybe Atlanta, not sure I would want to play in Kansas City, as I think most folks would root for Houston, since KC is in the AFC west.

Heck, if the game is played on Monday night, why not San Francisco, no fire problems and still in California. What else is Monster Park used for?

Comment

At last check, still no official announcement..guess it will be coming on Friday. But as Darkbeer pointed out, everything now seems to be pointing to a game at Qualcomm either Sunday or Monday. 1090 Double-reported that the "Q" would no longer be used for evacuations effective noon Friday.

Comment

LATEST UPDATE:

The mayor says...it's up to you, Chargers.

From the Union-Tribune via signonsandiego.com:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...25charge2.html

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
                            No, there is no need to have the game at Qualcomm

And there is also no reason to have it in Houston, that is an unfair advantage to the Texans.

And Dallas is lot closer to Houston than San Diego.

When the Cedar Fire required the Chargers to play a ame a few years ago away from Qualcomm, they played at the Arizona State University Stadium, and it is available.

But it is no longer an NFL stadium, so the NFL won't deal with them.

The new Cardinals stadium is already booked with a motorcycle show (with lots of piles of dirt), so that is out.

They looked at the LA area, but not seriously, because of all the other fires.
                            I say send them to the Cardinals stadium and let them do it in the dirt. Football played on a surface full of slopes (dirt mounds) would add a whole new element of attraction to me.
                            Last edited by Ride Warrior; 10-26-2007, 07:00 AM.
                            To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

The NFL has just announced, the Chargers game will be held at Qualcomm Stadium as scheduled Sunday afternoon.

Comment

I am glad the game will go one as planned. It will be good for the city that has gone through so much this week. I was at the Q last night and very few remained. There was so much left over from the donated items as well. They were packing the things up to take to other shelters.

For those of you that think the evacuees were "kicked out", I can assure you they were not. The conditions at Del Mar are more comfortable, indoors and they can remain longer.

In addition, having the game is not only good for moral, but for the many that are employed at the Stadium. I for one. I wish the best for everyone as we make it through this rough time.
                                Laughter is timeless -- Imagination has no age -- And dreams are forever

Comment

What a great game. The fans were pumped up, the firefighters were honored, and the Governator drove past me in his motorcade.

Cromartie came ready to play!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X