X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sports Complaint Thread

Okay, I have a couple gripes on sports.
    • Weekend Baseball Post-Season Games. Does anyone remember when LCS and World Series games on Saturday and Sunday nights began at about 7:30 or thereabouts? This year, all the weekend LCS and World Series games began after 8 PM EDT. I say let's go back to 7:45 or earlier for the weekend starts so that newspapers in the East print stories.
    • The NFL in England and Fox. The Giants played in London today against the Dolphins. However, in Detroit, Minneapolis, Chicago and Philadelphia, we got Lions-Bears and Eagles-Vikings. The game also was not telecast in markets where CBS had an host team for an AFC team (St. Louis, Charlotte, Cincinnati, et al.) My complaint is that the Lions-Bears and Eagles-Vikings games should have started at 4:15 PM instead of 1 PM EDT so that Fox could maximize the availablity of such a historic game.

Okay, I'm done complaining, and if you goy a gripe about anything in sports, post 'em here!

Re: The Sports Complaint Thread

I actually wished that they would move some of these World Series games to earlier in the day. What's wrong with the afternoon? I know, TV revenue. The almighty dollar. I have always wished that they would shorten the season. Baseball going to almost November is ridiculous.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Sucks that there was no Sunday night football game. I would have much rather watched two jr. high teams play football than be bored with baseball.

Comment

Kobe and the Lakers are pissing me off with all this trade talk.

Comment

I would like to Complain about the Yankees.

No Particular reason than i hate them. So there.....lol.
          -----------------------------------------------
          DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

You and a billion people.

Comment

The Yankees have succeeded where so many else have failed. I don't hate them. I'd like to have their secret formula to all that winning, and I don't necessarily think it's all about money.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

I have another complaint to register whilst I have the board.

College football games are three and a half hour battles now being squeezed into a three hour timeslot. That's like a size 52 body in a size 46 jacket. It doesn't fit.

Comment

Originally posted by mouseinphilly View Post
                  Okay, I have a couple gripes on sports.
                  • Weekend Baseball Post-Season Games. Does anyone remember when LCS and World Series games on Saturday and Sunday nights began at about 7:30 or thereabouts? This year, all the weekend LCS and World Series games began after 8 PM EDT. I say let's go back to 7:45 or earlier for the weekend starts so that newspapers in the East print stories.
                  Uh, some of us here remember when all World Series games were played during the day. Stories of sneaking a transistor radio into a classroom, cool teachers that brought a TV into the class.

I was in high school when they played the first night game...in th 71 Pittsburgh-Baltimore series. Starting the next year, all weeknight games were at night...in 83 all games were in"prime time" and the rest is history.

As for when the games start, they try to keep the whole country happy, which really can't be done. Start the games much earlier and you lose the large West Coast markets, stuck on the freeways.

My gripe is not only about how late they start, but how long they take. FOX's commercial breaks are interminable, and a nine inning game lasting well over four hours is just crazy, even to a baseball fan like me. I didn't do any comparisons, but it sure seems like the gamers on TNT were shorter.

The lateness and length of WS games is somethig you need to takew a long look at, Mr. Selig.
                  God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Up until this year, the weekend games started at around 7:30 PM ET/4:30 PM PT. Games started after 8:30 on weekends this year. I think they should do that when the LCS and World Series are effect.

And BTW, the LDS games were on TBS, none were on TNT as there were three sweeps out of four.

Comment

Originally posted by mouseinphilly View Post
                      And BTW, the LDS games were on TBS, none were on TNT as there were three sweeps out of four.
                      I had the wrong "Turner-initiated" network, granted, although to be precise portions of several games were shown on TNT.

What if any thoughts do you have on my other point about the length of games? Four hours for nine-inning games?
                      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Add another for the Yankees.

Everybody was griping about A-Rod stealing the Red Sox thunder ... but it really was the Yankees and their managerial announcement. All day yesterday I'm watching ESPN and their talking about the Yankees, Yankees, Yankees and that they are a "Dynasty in Transition".

Uhm, didn't the Red Sox just win the World Series the day before??? Uhm, doesn't a "Dynasty" team have to win multiple World Series? When is the last time the Yankees won? 2000. That's 6 years ago. They were a Dynasty in the 90's, no doubt. But not now.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                          The Yankees have succeeded where so many else have failed. I don't hate them. I'd like to have their secret formula to all that winning, and I don't necessarily think it's all about money.
                          Their secret formula...MONEY!!!

My complaint...hmm there is so much. DH hitter rule in AL only. Penalties for End zone celebrations, not enough fights in the NHL, the consistant pushing of Triple H. I think my biggest complaint has to do with crooked officials in the NBA.

I'm looking right at you Tim Donaghey and David Stern!
                          "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

So are you saying you like the end-zone celebrations?

I don't mind some of them ... my complaint is the celebrations after every tackle, every catch, every run. Okay, enough already.

Comment

End Zone Celebrations. Celebrating after everything is stupid, but i don't think you should be penalized. The NFL is trying to placate everybody and it's stupid!
                              "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

I hate the NFL in England experiment. When you here them say after the game I cant wait to watch the next match. You say what!? How about the next game. This is not tennis! It's football! The NFL is experimenting with this because Roger Goodell wants to have a Super Bowl in ENGLAND. Which would be detrimental to the American Economy because of how much money is pumped into each city when the Super Bowl visits. Not to mention it would be taking many Americans favortie sport from their own country to place it elsewhere. Let them keep their football or as we call it soccer, while we keep our Football!
                                sigpic- Grumpy

Comment

I'm a San Diego fan. I'm used to disappointment. I get to complain about pretty much everything. I can't believe they lost to Minnesota! AAAAAAGH!!!!

And don't even get me started on my Padres.
                                  Last edited by hebessica; 11-08-2007, 12:17 PM. Reason: A little love for the Pad's
                                  All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
                                  And kindergarten.
                                  :yea:

Comment

re sign lowell already
                                    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy38 View Post
                                      I hate the NFL in England experiment. When you here them say after the game I cant wait to watch the next match. You say what!? How about the next game. This is not tennis! It's football! The NFL is experimenting with this because Roger Goodell wants to have a Super Bowl in ENGLAND. Which would be detrimental to the American Economy because of how much money is pumped into each city when the Super Bowl visits. Not to mention it would be taking many Americans favortie sport from their own country to place it elsewhere. Let them keep their football or as we call it soccer, while we keep our Football!
                                      Just wanted to quote this as it bears repeating. Football is ours. Hardly anybody here cares about soccer, just as hardly any Brits care about football. Stop trying to shove certain sports down people's throats and just let it be!

Comment

Oh, and if we're complaining, I'll just add four little words.

Stupid East Coast Bias.

That is all.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X