Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Iger leading push to get NFL to LA

10 news San Diego reports that Disney CEO Bob Iger is leading the push to get the Chargers and Raiders to LA with naming rights and fan experience bids. As a long time Charger fan this is disheartening. I completely understand the business sense behind it but I'd rather he be pushing to get the Rams.

The NFL will block anyone from moving to LA. Goodell will force the teams to stay, even against their will.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Fan 1 View Post
      The NFL will block anyone from moving to LA. Goodell will force the teams to stay, even against their will.
      Goodell has little to no power in this regard, its up to the 32 team owners to vote on it. Goodell is really just a lackey for the owners, so if the 32 owners vote to have a team relocate to LA then it will happen despite what Goodell thinks about it. In fact if the owners don't like what Goodell is doing they will just vote him out. So in reality Goodell is nothing more than a talking head for the owners.

Comment

The NFL has already said they will have at least one team and maybe two in LA. They supposedly vote in January on which team or teams. It will be between the Raiders , Chargers , and Rams.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerryp49 View Post

The NFL has already said they will have at least one team and maybe two in LA. They supposedly vote in January on which team or teams. It will be between the Raiders , Chargers , and Rams.
          None of those teams are going anywhere. The NFL will talk them into staying with stadium deals they don't want to pay for or they will get privately financed stadiums like AT&T Park. I'd much rather see Seattle lose the Seahawks to Oklahoma City at the hands of Clay Bennett.

Comment

I haven't seen anything that went into detail, but it seems like Bob Iger is doing this on his own and it is not part of the Walt Disney Company.

if they get selected to move forward, I wonder if he will be taking a leave of absence for some of the time it takes to get the stadium project completed.

Comment

Originally posted by gary94080 View Post
              I haven't seen anything that went into detail, but it seems like Bob Iger is doing this on his own and it is not part of the Walt Disney Company.

if they get selected to move forward, I wonder if he will be taking a leave of absence for some of the time it takes to get the stadium project completed.
              Iger said that conditions on doing this are that they do not interfere with his job with Disney but I don't really know how I feel about this? He's setting up his post Disney life which I can understand but at the same time, you're are in charge of a multi billion dollar company. I kinda want 100% of your focus.

Comment

None of those teams are going anywhere. The NFL will talk them into staying with stadium deals they don't want to pay for or they will get privately financed stadiums like AT&T Park. I'd much rather see Seattle lose the Seahawks to Oklahoma City at the hands of Clay Bennett.
                Goodell is the one who wants the NFL in LA. The Chargers ownership is all but out of San Diego and the Jags and/or Raiders want into San Diego. LA will have a team.

Comment

Originally posted by matterhorn77 View Post

Iger said that conditions on doing this are that they do not interfere with his job with Disney but I don't really know how I feel about this? He's setting up his post Disney life which I can understand but at the same time, you're are in charge of a multi billion dollar company. I kinda want 100% of your focus.
                  Apparently the deal is a $1.00 contract with the NFL. His responsibilities will be stadium design, naming rights and fan experience. After his Disney contract is up he has an option to become a minority owner.

Comment

That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why get involved in what will be a very big undertaking when you are already head of a multi billion dollar company? Especially if it's only for a dollar. I get that it's for life after Disney but take care of life after Disney ... After Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by matterhorn77 View Post
                      That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why get involved in what will be a very big undertaking when you are already head of a multi billion dollar company? Especially if it's only for a dollar. I get that it's for life after Disney but take care of life after Disney ... After Disney.
                      But really how much time is this going to take away from Disney? Not much in my opinion. So he sits in on meetings and has final decisions on how the stadium will look and what the in-stadium fan experience will be. But its not like he is going to be sitting there drawing up the plans himself. He'll work with the design company, saying I want this and I want that, now go draw it up and come back to me. Its like an owner of a new house being built, they tell the architect what they want and its up to them to draw it with the owners getting final approval. Now I don't know how anal he is, he may want to get right down in the decisions like what the restroom fixtures will look like and tile pattern and such. But I would expect this is more of a committee type of deal with him getting final approval.

Plus in reality this only happens if and when the NFL owners vote and approve a team moving to LA. Which at this point is Jan 2016 at the earliest, yes I know only 2 months away. I would expect that by the Apr/May 2016 owners meetings it'll get final approval. And then by fall 2016 they start construction with a 2018 opening. 2018 appears to be lining up as the year of Iger.

Comment

Working...
                      X