X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Torre!!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7399154

As a Dodger fan, this makes me VERY excited.

Thoughts from Dodger fans and non-Dodger fans?

Re: Hello Torre!!!!

It was a must sign. Other than Arod this is a very lean free agent season. While Torre is a good signing the Dodgers also know few of the remaining crop of free agents is going to excite the fans more than Torre's arrival will.

Chad

Comment

Plus, this gives us an "in" at getting A-Rod now. Or at the very least Rivera.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
        Plus, this gives us an "in" at getting A-Rod now. Or at the very least Rivera.

Arod is ideal however, that's a lot of money for one person. Not sure if I want the Angels to be saddled with a 7+ year deal.

I don't see the fit with Rivera. Saito has beenm near perfect the last 2 years. Dodgers also are deep in the set-up man department. On top of the most of their starters are able to go 7+ innings, so it seems like Rivera would be a lot of money for and area that they need the least help in. I'm sure Saito would be fine being the 8th inning guy but why spend 8 million on a closer when you have statisically one of the top 5 closers in the game already.

Good problems to have though with Torre there.

Comment

True about Rivera, and it really would depend on what he would ask for salary wise. I'm thinking more of a veteran to guide Saito. But if he's asking for $8 million a year, not worth it.

And the thought of having Mattingly coaching the Dodgers in 3 years (or whenever Torre retires) isn't such a bad thought either.

Comment

The Dodgers have just acquired a new fan: my husband. He is a big fan of Joe Torre. Not exciting news, but we are originally from the San Francisco-Bay Area and therefore, Giants fans. How can I tell our family (who still live in the Bay Area) that I am living with a Dodgers fan!!

Comment

The Dodgers just need to add another $90 mil to the payroll and Torre will do fine

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyRob View Post
                The Dodgers just need to add another $90 mil to the payroll and Torre will do fine
                That's exactly what I was thinking.

However, paying $13 million for Torre at least shows they have some interest in putting more money into the team.
                sigpic
                Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                  How can I tell our family (who still live in the Bay Area) that I am living with a Dodgers fan!!
                  You don't. Keep it a secret. Your family won't be able to bear the shame...

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyRob View Post
                    Not sure about that. The Yankees were better before they started throwing money at everybody to win a championship. Remember, in the late 90's, most of the Yankee's players were a result of their farm system. (Jeter, Rivera, etc). It wasn't until Steinbrenner started getting greedy that he started throwing money at everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by STODD View Post
                      You don't. Keep it a secret. Your family won't be able to bear the shame...
                      Is this coming from a Giants or Dodgers fan??

Comment

I think Torre was a good hire, just not sure the GM and owner are going to give him the pieces to work with. Three year contract is fairly short and it may take that time just to start to turn this club around.

I can't see A-Rod coming to the Dodgers. There is no way McCourt spends 30 mil a year or more on a player for 7 years. Not with guaranteed contracts in baseball.

Don't think Angels will do it either. Moreno does not want to commit that much to one player. Not sure he would be the savior to get them over the top anyway. Sure did not work in NY.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post

Don't think Angels will do it either. Moreno does not want to commit that much to one player. Not sure he would be the savior to get them over the top anyway. Sure did not work in NY.
                          A-Rod is good. He's the only Yankee player I like, but I agree, I just don't see Moreno shelling out the dough to get him to the Big A. As it is, he let half his 2002 Championship team go to the Cards.
                          Katie :yea:
                          Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                          :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
                            I'm not sure he "didn't work" in New York. He put up big numbers each season there, and this year they wouldn't have even made the playoffs without him. His big goose egg, of course, comes with his post-season record thus far.

As for the money issue with A-Rod...the team that signs him will get the money back with merchandise sales and increased non-ticket revenues alone.

If I were Arte Moreno I'd sign him in a heartbeat. The Angels need to decide this winter if they want to remain that nice little team that can win the AL West, or step up to have a chance at beating the Red Sox and other elite teams next season.

ON TOPIC: The Torre hiring is a wonderful move for the Dodgers. Even if he doesn't bring any Yankee players with him. I don't like the Dodgers but I must give credit where it is due.

I know that FSN West is showing his introductory news conference with coverage beginning Monday at 10AM PST. I imagine that ESPN-News Network will also show his press conference live from Dodger Stadium.
                            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Aww man, I should have set that to record. I'll have Belle set it. I'd like to see that.

But I agree about A-Rod. I think that New York has GOT to be the toughest place to play (as far as the fan's are concerned) ESPECIALLY come playoff time. He definately buckled under the pressure that is Yankee Playoff baseball.

But I think given the right situation, he could (and will) thrive in October.

Comment

I like the Joe Torre pick up for the Dodgers. It will bring a strong leader back to the team like Tommy Lasorda was. Dodgers do spend money, but not enough to get "Those" players needed. One perk Torre is going to have in LA that he didnt have in NY... Octobers off.. lol

AROD is just asking for too much money. Bring it down a notch and you will get to a good team with a solid contract.
                                When hinges creek in doorless chambers, and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, Whenever candlelights flicker, where the air is deathly still, That is the time when ghosts are present practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion!

Comment

The Dodgers have never been too shy at throwing money around, with any of the owners. The problem is that their history with free agency has been horrible. Kevin Brown anyone? How about Schmidt last year? A lot of the great FA years have come during a time the Dodgers have the bad taste of a poor signing in their mouths or have been paying a guy millions to rehab. That being said, I fully expect A-Rod to play somewhere in Southern California next year. My logic meter says the Angels will get him, but I think the Dodgers have a great chance too. A lot of Dodgers are young and earning very base salaries (for now) and I think the climate is just right for a big splash.

The Dodgers have no problem filling the seats, but everyone has taken notice that they are coming up on 20 years without a WS. It was the resounding topic during the Torre coronation today. I can see the Dodgers making a big Cubs like (ok maybe not that extreme) push this winter to put themselves over the top. The Dodgers are a lot closer than a lot of people realize and I am very excited about the new coaching staff. For too many years the Dodgers coaching staff has been lacking in my opinion and I think Torre has brought in 2 good guys to the staff.

With or without A-Rod I am excited for next year and I think a change in direction will be good for the blue.

Comment

Watching the Torre so-called press conference today, I started to think they had it in the outfield, because a softball game was about to break out with the questions he was having lobbed to him.

Yes, the New York media can be overly harsh sometimes...but let's just say I'm sure that Joe will welcome the change, dealing with the reporters in SoCal.
                                    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X