This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Mascot(s) to be revealed Nov 27

Vancouver also has a VERY large Filipino population. (yes, I realize they are asia too)

Vancouver and LA are the only 2 places that P.A.L. (Philippine AirLines) flies to.

I think it'd be fun to go up and see some events.

Comment

plus, Asian culture is very popular with teens and tweens currently, so it's only natural to try to appeal to that market that isn't already an Olympic fan.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
        I think it'd be fun to go up and see some events.

ROAD TRIP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy38 View Post
          Who Cares! It will be dumb and stupid like the previous one and the one from Atlanta. Not to mention to dumb Arizona Super Bowl Mascot "spike". DUMB!!!! How about we focus on the athletics?!
          What are you talking about. Izzy rocked out loud. Well at least I liked him. Okay I am nuts! LOL
          Originally posted by aashee
          We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

I think they are very cute and I like them.
            Originally posted by aashee
            We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

I do like them too. Though it reminds me of Playhouse Disney.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I think Miga looks too similar to Beijing's Jingjing:

I like Mukmuk the best and he was sidelined to sidekick status :rant:

Here's what the first Mascot pins look like:

Comment

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
                  I think Miga looks too similar to Beijing's Jingjing:

I like Mukmuk the best and he was sidelined to sidekick status :rant:

Here's what the first Mascot pins look like:

And they all look like the Qoo cat from this Asian drink. (it's really good btw)

Comment

I had some Photoshop fun with the new mascots )

Comment

Here's another I just made. The mascots take a stroll on Abbey Road. Notice Mukmuk is second in line, where Ringo was.

Comment

Have to say, I'm not a fan. I'll have to call my sister (she lives in Kitsilano) and see what people are saying up there.

I do plan on heading up there to see a few events. Free room - why not? At least go and experience the ambiance. We did that in Salt Lake and had a great time.
                        sigpic
                        Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

An article I read today:

Vancouver 2010 Mascots Cute, But Need Some Explanation
                          Posted 11:41 am ET (GamesBids.com)
                          Children love the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games mascots unveiled Tuesday by Vancouver 2010, but according to Lindsay Meredith, professor of marketing at Simon Fraser University, its difficult to sell something that needs explaining. He said the sea bear, sasquatch and spirit animal all need explaining.
                          Meredith says going with mythical creatures was a marketing mistake. “They’re going to have to spend a bucket of more money to make this catch than if they had gone a little more mainstream. I had to look at (Miga) and say ‘what the hell is it’. It’s got a cowlick stuck up on the top of this head”. He was referring to the mascot sea bear that has an orca whale in its head.
                          As for the sasquatch, he said it is known in British Columbia and Washington State, but few others in North America know that big foot and sasquatch are the same.
                          CP reports Meredith called the mascots “Pokemon modern” for their Japanese style. But he gave the Vancouver 2010 organizers full marks for the media splash - getting the word out about the trio, and said the other sales pitch is the Olympic connection. “These things have Olympic rings plastered on their chest – trust me they will sell”.
                          VANOC creative services director Ali Gardner said, “we tested (the names) internationally to make sure they were easy to pronounce and they didn’t mean anything that we wouldn’t want them to in other languages”.
                          Dave Copp, Vancouver 2010 vice president of revenues, and marketing, said he hopes they’ll reach the $45-million target in royalty sales for licensed merchandise. He said, “to generate that we’ll need gross at retail about $500 million to $800 million so it’s a very aggressive number”. He was optimistic it can be done, reports CP, given the reaction the children displayed during the unveiling. “We’ll probably go home today a little bit more confident we’ll hit those numbers”. Joy Jennison, a spokesperson with the public relations firm Hill & Knowlton told CTV British Columbia, “traditionally the mascot has been about the country, it’s been about the history, the culture, so there’s a lot at stake there”.

Comment

do people really not know that sasquatch and bigfoot are the same thing? Aren't there a series of commercials right now called "Messing with sasquatch"? I'd have to say that that one's a stretch, the other two do need some explanation though.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

...sea bear that has an orca whale in its head.
                              Okay, I just thought it was ugly. Now I see that it's also a mutant. Wonderful.

Comment

I don't know if mutant is the right word. It is a mythological creature of the First Nations. It's just all dollified and cuteified (yea I said those 2 words )

The mascots for Torino, now those were mutants. People with ice heads and snowflake heads. Sceeeery!!

Comment

Yah, wasn't there a weird crazy made-up character a few years back? I wanna say Atlanta but I can't remember.

Comment

It was mentioned earlier that Sam the Eagle was a great Olympic mascot. I can't agree more. Instead of a gaggle of creepy, marketing-inspired mutants, why can't we get just one, great mascot to be the Olympic symbol? This Pokemon chic sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzman View Post
                                      It was mentioned earlier that Sam the Eagle was a great Olympic mascot. I can't agree more. Instead of a gaggle of creepy, marketing-inspired mutants, why can't we get just one, great mascot to be the Olympic symbol? This Pokemon chic sucks.
                                      Yah, just get Disney artists to design it.

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                                        Yah, wasn't there a weird crazy made-up character a few years back? I wanna say Atlanta but I can't remember.
                                        yeah, Izzy, the Whatzit. You really just can't make this stuff up.

http://www.izzypins.com/history.php

He was banned from the opening ceremonies and from appearing at the venues.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Who cares if anyone knows what creatures they are?
                                          They're cute!!
                                          I want all those pins
                                          Good morning, son
                                          In twenty years from now
                                          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                                          And I can tell you 'bout today
                                          And how I picked you up and everything changed
                                          It was pain
                                          Sunny days and rain
                                          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X