• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aladdin
    replied
    Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Mascot(s) to be revealed Nov 27

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
    They remind me of the freaky Beijing mascots, especially the black and white thing. I do love that sasquatch is an Olympic mascot now though :lmao:

I haven't been impressed with many mascots recently. I liked Sydneys but of late, they've been the only one's I've really liked.
    Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
    The mascots were revealed today. Check them out on the Vanoc website:
    http://www.vancouver2010.com/en

A lot of the comments about them on other message boards are negative. For those of you living in LA, you guys probably had the best mascot so far; Sam the Eagle. Why was he good? He was designed by Disney.

BLECH!!!!!! not more Poke-Crap-a-Kitties!!!

It's official, Japan has purchased Canada.

Leave a comment:

• NeverNeverland
    replied

Who cares if anyone knows what creatures they are?
    They're cute!!
    I want all those pins

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Yah, wasn't there a weird crazy made-up character a few years back? I wanna say Atlanta but I can't remember.
    yeah, Izzy, the Whatzit. You really just can't make this stuff up.

http://www.izzypins.com/history.php

He was banned from the opening ceremonies and from appearing at the venues.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by Jazzman View Post
    It was mentioned earlier that Sam the Eagle was a great Olympic mascot. I can't agree more. Instead of a gaggle of creepy, marketing-inspired mutants, why can't we get just one, great mascot to be the Olympic symbol? This Pokemon chic sucks.
    Yah, just get Disney artists to design it.

Leave a comment:

• Jazzman
    replied

It was mentioned earlier that Sam the Eagle was a great Olympic mascot. I can't agree more. Instead of a gaggle of creepy, marketing-inspired mutants, why can't we get just one, great mascot to be the Olympic symbol? This Pokemon chic sucks.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Yah, wasn't there a weird crazy made-up character a few years back? I wanna say Atlanta but I can't remember.

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

I don't know if mutant is the right word. It is a mythological creature of the First Nations. It's just all dollified and cuteified (yea I said those 2 words )

The mascots for Torino, now those were mutants. People with ice heads and snowflake heads. Sceeeery!!

Leave a comment:

• Jazzman
    replied

...sea bear that has an orca whale in its head.
    Okay, I just thought it was ugly. Now I see that it's also a mutant. Wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied

do people really not know that sasquatch and bigfoot are the same thing? Aren't there a series of commercials right now called "Messing with sasquatch"? I'd have to say that that one's a stretch, the other two do need some explanation though.

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

An article I read today:

Vancouver 2010 Mascots Cute, But Need Some Explanation
    Posted 11:41 am ET (GamesBids.com)
    Children love the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games mascots unveiled Tuesday by Vancouver 2010, but according to Lindsay Meredith, professor of marketing at Simon Fraser University, its difficult to sell something that needs explaining. He said the sea bear, sasquatch and spirit animal all need explaining.
    Meredith says going with mythical creatures was a marketing mistake. “They’re going to have to spend a bucket of more money to make this catch than if they had gone a little more mainstream. I had to look at (Miga) and say ‘what the hell is it’. It’s got a cowlick stuck up on the top of this head”. He was referring to the mascot sea bear that has an orca whale in its head.
    As for the sasquatch, he said it is known in British Columbia and Washington State, but few others in North America know that big foot and sasquatch are the same.
    CP reports Meredith called the mascots “Pokemon modern” for their Japanese style. But he gave the Vancouver 2010 organizers full marks for the media splash - getting the word out about the trio, and said the other sales pitch is the Olympic connection. “These things have Olympic rings plastered on their chest – trust me they will sell”.
    VANOC creative services director Ali Gardner said, “we tested (the names) internationally to make sure they were easy to pronounce and they didn’t mean anything that we wouldn’t want them to in other languages”.
    Dave Copp, Vancouver 2010 vice president of revenues, and marketing, said he hopes they’ll reach the $45-million target in royalty sales for licensed merchandise. He said, “to generate that we’ll need gross at retail about $500 million to $800 million so it’s a very aggressive number”. He was optimistic it can be done, reports CP, given the reaction the children displayed during the unveiling. “We’ll probably go home today a little bit more confident we’ll hit those numbers”. Joy Jennison, a spokesperson with the public relations firm Hill & Knowlton told CTV British Columbia, “traditionally the mascot has been about the country, it’s been about the history, the culture, so there’s a lot at stake there”.

Leave a comment:

• BFJen
    replied

Have to say, I'm not a fan. I'll have to call my sister (she lives in Kitsilano) and see what people are saying up there.

I do plan on heading up there to see a few events. Free room - why not? At least go and experience the ambiance. We did that in Salt Lake and had a great time.

Leave a comment:

• Barbossa
    replied

Here's another I just made. The mascots take a stroll on Abbey Road. Notice Mukmuk is second in line, where Ringo was.

Leave a comment:

• Barbossa
    replied

I had some Photoshop fun with the new mascots )

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
    I think Miga looks too similar to Beijing's Jingjing:

I like Mukmuk the best and he was sidelined to sidekick status :rant:

Here's what the first Mascot pins look like:

And they all look like the Qoo cat from this Asian drink. (it's really good btw)

Leave a comment:

• Barbossa
    replied

I think Miga looks too similar to Beijing's Jingjing:

I like Mukmuk the best and he was sidelined to sidekick status :rant:

Here's what the first Mascot pins look like:

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

I do like them too. Though it reminds me of Playhouse Disney.

Leave a comment:

• BDBopper
    replied

I think they are very cute and I like them.

Leave a comment:

• BDBopper
    replied

Originally posted by Grumpy38 View Post
    Who Cares! It will be dumb and stupid like the previous one and the one from Atlanta. Not to mention to dumb Arizona Super Bowl Mascot "spike". DUMB!!!! How about we focus on the athletics?!
    What are you talking about. Izzy rocked out loud. Well at least I liked him. Okay I am nuts! LOL

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I think it'd be fun to go up and see some events.

ROAD TRIP!!!

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied

plus, Asian culture is very popular with teens and tweens currently, so it's only natural to try to appeal to that market that isn't already an Olympic fan.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X