This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Look For In A Camera???

So, today, my camera died on me. I am thinking of buying a new camera. Any ideas on what you look for in a camera? Any advice on buying the perfect camera?

Thanks for any help appreciated.

Re: What Do You Look For In A Camera???
    • DSLR
    • Uses readily available lenses (Canon or Nikon)
    • 10mp or greater for cropping and mega enlargements (e.g. 13x19)
    • shoots in RAW format
    • Under a $1000
    Anything else is just gravy.

I found what I wanted - Canon Xti... although there are a couple nice cameras that meet the requirements.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

I like my pin hole cameras the best.

Comment

LOL!

Some brands have a good reputation of having consistent, quality cameras... Canon, Nikon, Kodak and Fuji make some good ones. I still have my Canon 3.2MP camera I bought back in early 2002... when they were like $500. Takes great pics, but it's bulky and heavy compared to my current Kodak 6.0MP, which is really tiny and lightweight but takes good photos and decent video.

I'd like to get a nice SLR camera sometime, but for now I'll stick with my point & shoots.

Comment

Need some guidance...

do you want a point and shoot?
          which is more important, best quality, or balance in cost?
          do you want a small camera, or a full body camera?
          do you want to shoot video?
          what is your target output?

You have to set some boundries in what you are looking for. A canon digital elph is a great P&S camera if you want one in your pocket... but would be spat upon those who want full size sensors, interchangable lens, etc.

Comment

I love my Nikon Coolpix S210.

It is 8.0 megapixels
            VR & ISO 2000
            2.5" LCD
            3X Zoom

It takes decently good pictures...and isn't extremely expensive...I paid $172.39 at Office Depot.
            "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I descent size lcd. Features (but not too many) Good battery life.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

I'm about to go buy an Olympus E-520 from Circuit city for $600. I love the features it has on it, but I'm wondering about how hard it will be to get lenses for it, since they aren't standard...well thats what I've read.

I simply look for the features, and how I would use them. Not a professional, not a 10 year old. I may not buy any lenses for a long time, so thats not a huge concern.

Comment

When I was shopping for my point and shoot a few years ago I looked for somewhat high megapixels, decent zoom, uses SD cards and felt good in my hand. I settled on the Canon Powershot A530. After I bought it I found it to be durable (survived a fall onto concrete, snapped open, and still worked once snapped back together), decent battery life, and good video mode. I definitely recommend the Powershot A series for any person who just wants a really good point and shoot.

Comment

Any good Sony cameras?? I want to use the same Memory Stick and battery that I have.

Comment

I love my Sony Cybershot. DSC-W70. I've had it a few years, all I really do is point and click, and it takes pretty good pictures for me. Any of my TR threads have pictures from it, and they're decent and it's small.
                      It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
                        Any good Sony cameras?? I want to use the same Memory Stick and battery that I have.
                        Don't let a storage card dictate your purchase... memory is DIRT CHEAP. I also know Sony changes batteries frequently.

My father's Tseries camera was incredible for a point and shoot.. but it failed after just getting splashed once in just the right way

I'm a big fan of the canon digital elphs for point and shoot. Incredible battery life, full featured, and good quality.

For incredible detailed reviews of any camera.. look through the review for the camera at Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

I do not like their new site design compared to the old one... but once you find the navigation (next/prev) and drop down menu at the top of each review you can avoid being distracted by the ads. The new layout is not nearly as easy to browse as the old.. but the level of information there and compariative photos is just impossible to match.
                        Last edited by flynnibus; 09-23-2008, 06:14 PM.

Comment

My photography camera is a dslr....I love it, but it has gotten to cumbersome to take everywhere (to many lenses) and it is rather large. I take it whenever I go somewhere knew or I really want nice pictures.

I recently bought a small digital camera that fits nicely in my purse. It goes everywhere with me. It is very light and covenant.

Comment

Yeah......... that's the problem. I want a camera that has lots of features, but is small and convienent that I can fit inside my pocket.

I want a camera that takes excellent night shots, fireworks, etc.....

EDIT: By the way, what are the different types of cameras?? What do they do that separates them from the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
                              Yeah......... that's the problem. I want a camera that has lots of features, but is small and convienent that I can fit inside my pocket.

I want a camera that takes excellent night shots, fireworks, etc.....

EDIT: By the way, what are the different types of cameras?? What do they do that separates them from the rest.
                              dslr (canon) does everything...depending on the lens.....the small camera is just point and shoot(olympus) for when I'm on the go. It's always in my purse.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X