Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How easily can specific websites be blocked?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How easily can specific websites be blocked?

Anyone know a simple way to block particular sites without buying extra software that bogs down your internal memory?

My kids want to play facebook games. The older one is on facebook. The middle one is not. I let her play the games on my account, and I was thinking about letting her have her own, with uberprivate settings, but I just found out what you get when you slip up and hit the "n" key instead of the "b" key next to it, and type www-dot-facenook-dot-com. It has stuff that will freak my little one out. Stuff I never want her to see, much less while she's still a preteen.

Basically, I want to put that website on a list of blocked sites. Can this be done easily?
    Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Re: How easily can specific websites be blocked?

What web browser do you use?

Comment

At my job, they allow us to use NetNanny for free. I've yet to take a look, but if you care to give it a try, they might demo.

With it, or the version I have, you can "buzz" words that aren't allowed--that might help you.

Peace,
      Roo

PS: WHoops...just checked, not free. Sorry. Aw poo.
      husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

If you run IE - use the Content Advisor, put in the website and select Never.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Oh wow, I've accidentally done that "letter-slip" thing a couple times. I can definately understand what you are concerned about.

I don't know how to block certain sites, but how about just bookmarking facebook and only allow her to click directly into the site?
          "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

We blocked myspace through our router...I think...my Bf did it and no computer in the house could access it.

Comment

You can always add a specific domain/site to your hosts file with an address of 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.0. Doing that will make it so that the name never resolves to an actual site.

Comment

As has been stated, you can do it either through your router or your web browser.

If there is only one computer she will be using, then you can just do it through the browser.

If she is using multiple computers the router is the way to go.

Comment

Lifehacker - KIDO'Z is a Customizable Kid-Friendly Browser - Kids
                  Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X