Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I get a PC or Mac?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I get a PC or Mac?

    Time for a new computer at home. I am really tired of viruses, spyware and all the goodies that seem to come with Windows. My office uses Windows, and that will stay the same. I currently have Windows XP Pro, and am a bit leary of buying a new system with Vista. I know Windows 7 is around the corner.

    At home I use the computer for email, social networking, and one video game I am completely obsessed with. It's an older game (2002 release) so I don't need some uber video card. I do play around with some family pics, and of course MiceChat!

    Is moving to mac worth the added expense? What will I miss out on if anything if I move to Mac?










    12/18 TC DAY











  • #2
    Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

    If all you use your computer is for is an internet terminal... you won't miss much switching to a Mac.

    It's a bit annoying being denied to use some things you may want, but most get used to it, and mac support 'usually' comes around eventually.

    You'd be better off putting this in the tech lounge rather then the debate lounge.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

      The first thing you will most likely miss out with on your new Mac is that game you enjoy. Games loaded on the disc for both Mac and Windows disappeared a long time ago so you would most likely have to hunt down a Mac OS X version (and it may be a bit buggy...).

      Is there any other software you use besides just the browser and maybe an email client? You would have to buy a new copy of Microsoft Office if you ever use that. I personally use OpenOffice, but compatibility with MS Office is about 90%.

      I have had two Macs, an iBook G4 and my current MacBook Pro. I have converted both my father and my younger brother to Mac.

      I greatly enjoy the speed of the system, stability and ease of use. There are a few things to get used to (such as only have one mouse button), but most are pretty easy to figure out.

      There is the Mac mini which retails starting at $599 (120GB). The Mac mini is just a computer; it does not come with a keyboard, mouse or monitor. You may even be able to get a slightly older, refurbished computer either directly from Apple or a third party.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

        MAC seems to be more prefered. We got a new computer and it has Window's Seven Beta on it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

          I just bought a computer this weekend (yay! First big non-rent/living necessity purchase!). I got a PC (the laptop that was Today's Value on HSN). I grew up on PC so I'm lazy to learn something else.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

            Over the years I've used both systems, but I've always been partial to Apple. In fact a few years ago, another Apple person and I got the job of installing some stuff on a Novell system and the entire time we kept saying to each other... "if this was a Mac network this would be so much easier...." But I digress.

            But also having used both systems I can honestly say that its only the interface that has the biggest difference. I honestly have had just has many problems hardware wise with Apples than I have with PC's. The one advantage of Apple, is if you are lucky enough to live near an Apple store, a lot of times you can take your machine to the Genius Bar and if its something basic they will fix it... free.

            I still prefer the Apple interface for its ease of use, since I've been primarily an Apple user since the days of the Apple IIe. Yes, the Mac does have fewer virus issues, but its not totally immune to them. With the Unix underpinnings in the OS and the Intel processors they use now, there are security issues. Just not as many as with a PC.

            As far as programs... I've heard people lament that there aren't as many programs available for the Mac platform. Actually, if you want a computer to do something, there are just as many programs for the Mac as the PC. Its just you can't run down to the local Wal Mart and pick them up. Version Tracker (Mac OS X Software Updates and Mac OS X Downloads - VersionTracker) has links to beta, shareware, freeware and demos (try before you buy) of every kind of software in the world for Mac.

            Plus, with BootCamp you can run PC software on a Mac. You can't however run any Mac software on a PC (Without some hardcore super geek computer gut digging). I've never used it, so I can't attest to how well it works, but it is an option if there is a PC program you simply can't live without.

            Cost? Upfront cost to go to Mac is more, but I've seen articles online that tout that the cost overall over the life of the machine is less with a Mac. If I can find some of those articles I'll post them later.

            *Edited to Add*

            Doing a Google search for cost comparisons I found these:

            http://whatan00b.com/mac-vs-pc-a-real-comparison

            http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...2&pageNumber=1

            http://lowendmac.com/fishkin/07/0109.html
            Last edited by penguinsoda; 07-26-2009, 03:57 PM.




            Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


            Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
            all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

              I built my computer and installed windows 7 on it. I love it!!

              I personally would never buy a mac.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

                Would could always get a Psystar?

                Psystar's Online Store - Open Computing Solutions featuring Mac OS X Leopard, Windows and Linux

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

                  Personally I like the Mac better both for the quality of the UI and security. I do need to run work related PC programs so I use VMWare fusion to load the appropriate Windows operating system. What I like about using Windows as a virtual machine is that I can usually avoid the lengthy Windows start up routine by suspending the Windows environment rather than shutting it down. Plus in September when the next iteration of the Mac OS comes out it will include the ability to fully open an exchange server share directly on a Mac.


                  (BTW if this thread has legs then soon enough it will end up in the litter box. PC vs Mac threads are legendary on the internet for becoming huge flame fests. I need to make some popcorn so that I am ready for the show.)
                  Last edited by mousechild; 07-26-2009, 04:39 PM.
                  Originally posted by SummerInFL
                  Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

                  Originally posted by Wanda Woman
                  Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

                    Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                    Over the years I've used both systems, but I've always been partial to Apple. In fact a few years ago, another Apple person and I got the job of installing some stuff on a Novell system and the entire time we kept saying to each other... "if this was a Mac network this would be so much easier...." But I digress.

                    But also having used both systems I can honestly say that its only the interface that has the biggest difference. I honestly have had just has many problems hardware wise with Apples than I have with PC's. The one advantage of Apple, is if you are lucky enough to live near an Apple store, a lot of times you can take your machine to the Genius Bar and if its something basic they will fix it... free.

                    I still prefer the Apple interface for its ease of use, since I've been primarily an Apple user since the days of the Apple IIe. Yes, the Mac does have fewer virus issues, but its not totally immune to them. With the Unix underpinnings in the OS and the Intel processors they use now, there are security issues. Just not as many as with a PC.

                    As far as programs... I've heard people lament that there aren't as many programs available for the Mac platform. Actually, if you want a computer to do something, there are just as many programs for the Mac as the PC. Its just you can't run down to the local Wal Mart and pick them up. Version Tracker (Mac OS X Software Updates and Mac OS X Downloads - VersionTracker) has links to beta, shareware, freeware and demos (try before you buy) of every kind of software in the world for Mac.

                    Plus, with BootCamp you can run PC software on a Mac. You can't however run any Mac software on a PC (Without some hardcore super geek computer gut digging). I've never used it, so I can't attest to how well it works, but it is an option if there is a PC program you simply can't live without.

                    Cost? Upfront cost to go to Mac is more, but I've seen articles online that tout that the cost overall over the life of the machine is less with a Mac. If I can find some of those articles I'll post them later.

                    *Edited to Add*

                    Doing a Google search for cost comparisons I found these:

                    Mac vs PC: A real comparison | What a n00b!

                    Mac vs. PC cost analysis: How does it all add up?

                    Why Mac vs. PC Price Comparisons Are Never Fair
                    Good info., thanks.










                    12/18 TC DAY










                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

                      Im a PC guy. Apple made my friendly debates with friends as to why I prefer PC hard until vista came out. Once Microsoft worked through the initial bugs and incompatabilities, I fell in love with Vista which has many of the things Mac has and Windows 7 will only improve on Vista.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

                        Wait... explain Vista to me. Is it harder than regular Windows? I know some people love it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

                          Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
                          Wait... explain Vista to me. Is it harder than regular Windows? I know some people love it.
                          It's different - and change brings concern.

                          Vista also includes things that many people found obtrusive, so its 'harder'.

                          Windows 7 strikes a much better balance of security intervention and usability vs. Vista's User Access Control.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

                            I heard Vista anticipates what you're going to do. That's what I'm kinda' worried about.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Should I get a PC or Mac?

                              Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
                              Wait... explain Vista to me. Is it harder than regular Windows? I know some people love it.
                              Vista was "harder" then XP for professionals because they made it from scratch. (This reminds me of the DLR's new monorails) At first, lots of programs that companies had made for themselves and Drivers for printers, fax machines, cameras, graphics cards and basically anything you plug into a computer did not work on Vista. Now, they have worked out and patched most of those problems and everything now is made to work 100% with Vista. The visual designs of Vista are awesome and the simple redesigns like removing "my" from my documents, my computer and the other my folders is nice. The biggest thing I like about Vista is that instead of everything on your profile being in your my documents folder, whether its a document or not, is gone. All your diffrent folders go into a main folder bearing your account name and it goes out from there. Very organized, very intuitive.

                              Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
                              I heard Vista anticipates what you're going to do. That's what I'm kinda' worried about.
                              Vista doesnt actually anticipate anything, its process is much more like this.

                              Hey look, his antivirus has run at 3am on sunday for a month now and he goes onto internet explorer around 4 every day. I'll give those programs more resources around that time so he can use them faster.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X