Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Virus on my computer?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus on my computer?

Ok well all of a sudden my virus scan popped up last night scanning some threats. All saying low risk. Is this harmful?

Also... I can't visit really any sites now. I had to go back 10 times because I get this page that says this Page is harmful.... we recomnded you dont go here. I ignore it but instead of ignoring it... it takes me to there software site asking me to buy it.

~babs09

Thank you Solitary!

Re: Virus on my computer?

Sounds like you have a very nasty virus that probably isn't low risk. Have you updated your antivirus software recently?

If not, you might want to, and then run a new virus scan.

Let us know if the problem continues.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

When software says "low risk" it normally means it does not delete your hard disk, this doesn't mean that you do not have a problem.

make sure that your virus software is up-to-date and let it remove this problem. Just don't' ignore it because of the term "low risk.

I would also recommend installing more than on software to protect yours computer. I really like super-anit-spyware and it is free. This software has gotten rid of things that some of the most expensive software has not.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!
      Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

Or it could be a fake virus alert that's hijacked your browser. It will open a window that looks like your desktop that reports an infection. Then it will try to get you to purchase a removal program to rid you of viruses you don't really have.

I occasionally see these fake warnings on my Mac (with their window that looks like a PC desktop, a dead giveaway). Closing the browser window causes yet another window to open with the same "dire" warning. I usually have to force quit the browser to get it to go away. On a PC, it might alter your registry to open itself again when you restart your browser.

Use a legitimate virus/malware removal program to get rid of it.
        Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
        2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
        2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
        sigpic

Comment

I think its a browser hijacked because when I get the red thing that blocks me from going to that site the Html is about:blank.

Still cant get it and I am getting frustrated.

~babs09

Thank you Solitary!

Comment

Heres a picture.

Thank you Solitary!

Comment

Yes, it seems like it's a browser hijacking virus.

Have you tried updating your antivirus software and running a new virus scan?

If I may ask, what antivirus software are you using? Maybe we could help point you in the right direction.
              MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
              (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

The browser hijack viri often contain snippets of code that prevent updating your virus scan or worse installing a new one. They also place tags in your registry that reinstall the hijack after you have cleaned the files.

What has worked for me - once I discovered how to use it - was to boot in safe mode and do a system restore to a restore point prior to the hijack. Then the cleaning tools can be run effectively without the hijacker first disabling them.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Sambo's solution sounds good to me. Even if you don't do a system restore, booting in safe mode to run your virus checker is a good idea if you suspect something is afoul. I always like to try less radical solutions first.

I noticed you're using IE as your browser. It seems to be the most vulnerable to hijacks, and for that reason alone I usually run an alternate.
                  Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
                  2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
                  2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
                  sigpic

Comment

I hate IE because it's so buggy and as TrekkieDad said, more susceptible to hijackers even though Microsoft constantly claims they've improved security on it.

I use Safari and Firefox. Opera is pretty decent too. I even showed my mom how to use Safari because IE was acting hinky on her.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X