This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Security Tool Malware

My brother got the Vista Security Tool program on my parents laptop, cause he DL's... for those of you who don't know what it is, it's basically a scam, it disables your firewall and at the same time infects your computer with viruses,spyware,ect. and anytime you go to enable your firewall, it tells you to "activate" your subscription. My question is this... I don't have a malware/spyware removal program installed into my computer, so how would I manually remover the program? I use this laptop too, and I wanna get it fixed before my parents find out whats goin on,lol... any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Vista Security Tool Malware

Remove Security Tool and SecurityTool (Uninstall Guide)

This is a big malware going around right now. XP, Vista and 7 all have versions of this.

The link above contains instructions to remove it. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me about it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

thanks, I'll check it out

Comment

Do be careful... The online solutions or fixes can be scams also and do the exact same damage.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

There are free malware programs and virus scans on Download.com. Use them.
          sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

malwarebyte's malware program is a great removal tool, you can download a free copy at Cnet

however, its best to run when your computer is in safe mode...and having gotten this virus (the XP version) last week on my desktop i coudln't get my computer to boot in safe mode

so i did start-> run-> cmd-> msconfig and then clicked the safeboot.ini and unfortunantly that triggered something in the virus script that completely disabled my desktop

it would blue screen at start up, then restart, then blue screen, then restart (you get hte picture)

my computer's now at the shop where it was built and i'm waiting to hear if i'm gonna have to deal with a format of my hard drive

stupid virus'
            Will there be screams when the sun sets,
            -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
            elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
            Originally posted by pratt55
            Elly is adorkable.

Comment

Ad-Aware and Spybot are good programs to use (and free).

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                Ad-Aware and Spybot are good programs to use (and free).
                They once were good, but no longer.

Use Malware Bytes and Avast programs. They're both free and you can d/l them at Download.com.

Run them at least once a week and you won't be formatting your hd.
                sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

I also support Malwarebytes very much. Very simple and affective spyware remover, one of the best as a matter of fact. Just pick up the free version at download.com (like mentioned above). No need to pay for the full version unless you are going to rely solely on this program. The pay version offers real-time process protection and automatic updates.

Ad-aware and Spybot S&D are veterans in their field but have lost their top spots. They both offer real-time process protection, but they have been known to allow some malicious threats through.

Also, check with your internet service provider to see if they provide a free anti-virus or security suite program to their pay customers. If they provide Norton, take up on their offer. Norton has improved a LOT in the past few years. It's an old dog that still ranks as one of the best. Make sure it's Norton Internet Security 2010, as this version is far superior to their older version. It runs a fraction of the memory compared to Spybot's real-time protection known as TeaTimer or Ad-aware real-time protection.

If that is not an option there are also good free anti-virus programs out there. Avast Free Anti-Virus, AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, etc. Now these are free version of entire packages, so they run sans a few features. There is also Microsoft Security Essentials that is free for the full version. A very simple anti-virus program and is not too bad at what it does.

Keep in mind, it is recommended to only run ONE anti-virus program at a time. Running more than one could cause a conflict between the multiple programs resulting in the programs not working effectively. However, feel free to have multiple spyware protection at the ready. If you have the precessing power, run a few, such as Ad-Aware, Windows Defender, etc.

A personal note, stay away from McAfee. As of their latest version, this program does it's job in protecting your computer, but at a cost of taking up a lot of precious processing and memory power.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicWDI View Post
                    If they provide Norton, take up on their offer. Norton has improved a LOT in the past few years. It's an old dog that still ranks as one of the best. Make sure it's Norton Internet Security 2010, as this version is far superior to their older version. It runs a fraction of the memory compared to Spybot's real-time protection known as TeaTimer or Ad-aware real-time protection.
                    I have such a bad history with Norton messing up machines, causing more problems than it solves, consuming resources, and in general taking over and being more like a virus than protection - I don't care how "improved" it has become. Norton will never be on a machine I own. It owes me for past sins.

Originally posted by MagicWDI View Post
                    A personal note, stay away from McAfee. As of their latest version, this program does it's job in protecting your computer, but at a cost of taking up a lot of precious processing and memory power.
                    Running McAfee right now with IE open (obviously) as well as a few tasks in background running - my meter shows between 3% and 11% of processor and no more than 18% of memory. How is that considered "a lot of precious processing and memory power"?

Just asking...

Will check out MalwareBytes as AdAware is not cutting it for me any more.

My son just got rid of the "Security Tool" by restoring to a restore point a few days prior to infection to disable it, then cleaning up his system and registry to remove the remains.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
                      I have such a bad history with Norton messing up machines, causing more problems than it solves, consuming resources, and in general taking over and being more like a virus than protection - I don't care how "improved" it has become. Norton will never be on a machine I own. It owes me for past sins.
                      I tell people this all the time, not to compare their past Norton experience with the current versions out right now. Symantec rebuilt Norton for their 2009 version and even improved upon that for their 2010 version. Trust me, I know about Norton's past. It's a completely different experience than their past versions. It runs less than 12 MB of total physical memory (usually less while the user is on or more when the system is idle) and runs down to just about 1% processing power while the user is working. The system only runs scans while idle and only scans non-trusted files when allowed, saving resources for other computing needs. Smart way of working, in my opinion. Scans are hardly noticeable and updates are usually pushed every 15 mins without a trace. I say give it a try.

Running McAfee right now with IE open (obviously) as well as a few tasks in background running - my meter shows between 3% and 11% of processor and no more than 18% of memory. How is that considered "a lot of precious processing and memory power"?

Just asking...
                      Thank you for asking. MaAfee is usually okay while not much is going on. But start a scan or do a simple definition update and it boggles down the computer. This usually forces users to manually scan while away from the computer or set them to run while their system is idle. McAfee doesn't take advantage of this automatically like Norton does. I have also seen a few malicious files or two get through its real-time protection, only later finding it with a scan. Now I know no anti-virus program is 100% affective, but these were rather old Trojans and should have been stopped.

Will check out MalwareBytes as AdAware is not cutting it for me any more.

My son just got rid of the "Security Tool" by restoring to a restore point a few days prior to infection to disable it, then cleaning up his system and registry to remove the remains.
                      Good to hear. These rogue anti-virus programs are a pain. I still think Ad-Aware is alright at what it does, so try keeping it while adding Malwarebytes to your roster. Also try Windows Defender. It too is a low profile defense and adding it shouldn't hurt.

Edit: If anyone is looking to buy the best anti-virus out as of now, try checking out Top Ten Review at http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/. They have done the hard work of testing, reviewing, and ranking many of these anti-virus programs up against one another. They list BitDefender Antivirus as their top choice. I haven't used BitDefender yet but I may give it a try now. Kaspersky Anti-Virus is the obvious number 2, which I highly recommend, as well as Norton Internet Security 2010, which is listed as number 4, respectively.
                      Last edited by MagicWDI; 04-19-2010, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info and the link to the reviews.

sigpic

Comment

Vista IS Malware.

Get a mac.
                          --
                          http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

[delete]

Comment

Originally posted by ravencroft View Post
                              Vista IS Malware.

Get a mac.
                              I prefer Windows 7. I have work to get done...

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X