This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 4

Watched the unveiling of the new iPhone. I'm sitting on a mixed bag of feelings about this one. It is a beautiful piece of tech engineering. The redesign was very much needed and turned out very well. The phone is beautiful.

There were a few factual errors in the presentation though... a few "spins" put on things that don't quite work within the confines of reality. While they don't lessen my like for the phone itself, they heighten my dislike of the company and the man helming things.

First off, Retinal Display... the higher res (900x640) is awesome. By far the best res of any phone out (the HTC Incredible tops out at 800x480). It looks gorgeous as all Apple displays do. The adding of more pixels and smoothing transitions between them (which is what Retinal Display is doing) is called anti-aliasing and has been around quite a while. Apple just gave it a fancy new name and presents it as something they have invented. This bothers me. Such are the things that Kool-Aid is made of.

Secondly, Steve Jobs' statement that the human eye is limited to viewing 300pixels/in however, is not accurate. Your eye can actually distinguish up to between 600 - 700 ppi at a phenomenally high megapixel range. It is also super sensitive to light and contrast changes. Far more so than ANY human technology can replicate or duplicate.

Thrid, OLED vs IPS displays. Steve claims that the IPS is far better than OLED displays. In point of fact, IPS displays last a LOT longer than OLED displays and are cheaper. EDIT Forgot to carry on this idea... OLED has better contrast, better brightness, better viewing angle, richer color tones, takes damage better... basically better in every way except price and life. But this is changing rapidly.

Watching Steve Jobs present this... he spins things like crazy. Little turns of phrase and side comments. To be fair, all companies do this. The difference is Steve is REALLY good at spinning things. When Ballmer or Gates did this you kinda saw through it and realized that you were being "sold" on something. Steve has found a way, through very subtle, easy-going affability to remove the doubt. He is a consummate salesman. Which is exactly what you want in the guy pitching your stuff. But as a consumer, the number one thing to keep in mind is "doubt everything." Question it, research it, figure it out yourself. Caveat emptor is never more true than in these product release sales pitches.

I love the tech itself, I can't stand the pitch. I look forward to getting my hands on the phone itself and playing with it.
    Last edited by mycroft16; 06-07-2010, 02:51 PM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Re: iPhone 4

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Thrid, OLED vs IPS displays. Steve claims that the IPS is far better than OLED displays. In point of fact, IPS displays last a LOT longer than OLED displays and are cheaper.

My dislike of this post is heightened!! hahaha j/k

I really want this new Iphone. I have the 3G and would love to watch some netflix when I'm stuck waiting for people.

Plus.. it might get a girl interested in me. (haha)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Yes, I cant wait! I was watching the podcast live and the only thing that seemed odd to me was that the iPhone 4 didnt load on the internet wifi and the 3Gs did perfectly fine. Other than that mishap...LOl Im very excited being that I have gone thru the 2g, and now the 3g I cant wait!
      FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kajiholic/

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post

Like Disney...Apple has MAGIC! LOL
        FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kajiholic/

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
          Playing to his crowd there. Made me laugh though. Steve definitely knows how to work the crowd.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

IDK, I felt like I was being sold and lost interest in his presentation quickly. I continued to half watch it and read the tech stuff later.

There are some cool features on the new phone, but I won't watch netflix on an iphone...the video chat is only wifi and only with other people with iphones...yeah, won't use that. I am interested on how that works on skype though.

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
              IDK, I felt like I was being sold and lost interest in his presentation quickly. I continued to half watch it and read the tech stuff later.

There are some cool features on the new phone, but I won't watch netflix on an iphone...the video chat is only wifi and only with other people with iphones...yeah, won't use that. I am interested on how that works on skype though.
              I'm with you. I want to see it for myself, but yeah, I felt like I was being sold the entire time.

As for Skype, no idea how that will play out. They didn't mention anything about that at all that I caught. And now that the iPhone has a camera and video chat system of it's own, won't that invalidate Skype from the App store since apps are not allowed to duplicate core functionality of the iPhone? (stupid rule if you ask me, prevents people from coming up with better solutions than the Apple one).

Comment

I just want. Want want want.

Also...I want.

Mycroft, excellent information, thank you!

Comment

Figures this would happen exactly three months after I upgraded my old iPhone to the 3GS!

By the way, does anyone know when OS 4.0 (or whatever it's new name is now) will be released?
                  "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Comment

Wow. Apple has a new iPhone - never saw that coming...

Originally posted by kajiholic View Post
                    Like Disney...Apple has MAGIC! LOL
                    And just like Disney, once you see the "magic" behind the scenes - it's just illusions.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Originally posted by ttztotdca50 View Post
                      By the way, does anyone know when OS 4.0 (or whatever it's new name is now) will be released?
                      June 21st is when iOS 4 (what they're calling it now) will be available.

The new phone looks pretty spiffy, but I'll just be happy with the new OS on my 3GS for now. I can't upgrade until next February at the earliest anyway.

But... ZOMG! Farmville app coming this month! I am NEVER going to get anything done now. :lol:

Comment

I'm really looking forward to iPhone 4 and iOS 4.

The Verizon comment was pretty funny.

Unfortunately I probably won't be getting this iPhone but rather iPhone 5 next summer My contract doesn't expire until next April, even after AT&T pushed up upgrade eligibility times.

Comment

a lot of what was said about iPhone4 doesn't have me ecstatic at all.. i'm more impressed by iOS4.

a lot of the software features that was presented on the iPhone4 will be available on the 3Gs via OS upgrade: the multitasking, app folders, and even the simple background wallpaper is something i'm excited for.

and while i wont be able to take advantage of multitasking since it wont be offered for my device (3G), the fact that it will be available on what will be a much more affordable 3Gs catches my attention.
                          -plagued

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post

But... ZOMG! Farmville app coming this month! I am NEVER going to get anything done now. :lol:
                            I know. I think I'm more excited about this.

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                              Watched the unveiling of the new iPhone. I'm sitting on a mixed bag of feelings about this one. It is a beautiful piece of tech engineering. The redesign was very much needed and turned out very well. The phone is beautiful.

There were a few factual errors in the presentation though... a few "spins" put on things that don't quite work within the confines of reality. While they don't lessen my like for the phone itself, they heighten my dislike of the company and the man helming things.

First off, Retinal Display... the higher res (900x640) is awesome. By far the best res of any phone out (the HTC Incredible tops out at 800x480). It looks gorgeous as all Apple displays do. The adding of more pixels and smoothing transitions between them (which is what Retinal Display is doing) is called anti-aliasing and has been around quite a while. Apple just gave it a fancy new name and presents it as something they have invented. This bothers me. Such are the things that Kool-Aid is made of.

Secondly, Steve Jobs' statement that the human eye is limited to viewing 300pixels/in however, is not accurate. Your eye can actually distinguish up to between 600 - 700 ppi at a phenomenally high megapixel range. It is also super sensitive to light and contrast changes. Far more so than ANY human technology can replicate or duplicate.

Thrid, OLED vs IPS displays. Steve claims that the IPS is far better than OLED displays. In point of fact, IPS displays last a LOT longer than OLED displays and are cheaper. EDIT Forgot to carry on this idea... OLED has better contrast, better brightness, better viewing angle, richer color tones, takes damage better... basically better in every way except price and life. But this is changing rapidly.

Watching Steve Jobs present this... he spins things like crazy. Little turns of phrase and side comments. To be fair, all companies do this. The difference is Steve is REALLY good at spinning things. When Ballmer or Gates did this you kinda saw through it and realized that you were being "sold" on something. Steve has found a way, through very subtle, easy-going affability to remove the doubt. He is a consummate salesman. Which is exactly what you want in the guy pitching your stuff. But as a consumer, the number one thing to keep in mind is "doubt everything." Question it, research it, figure it out yourself. Caveat emptor is never more true than in these product release sales pitches.

I love the tech itself, I can't stand the pitch. I look forward to getting my hands on the phone itself and playing with it.
                              Very salient points here, Mycroft. Steve certainly knows how to pitch a new product. The hype at this event was at an all time high with a standing ovation, cries of "We love you Steve!", etc. He has got the whole presentation thing DOWN with his dramatic announcements, the huge sales numbers, and terms like "magical" etc.

It's interesting that you really tend to get swept up in it all until you slow down enough to ask yourself questions. Questions like...am I REALLY going to fully edit a movie on an iphone? As soon as he mentioned imovie, thought "WOW!" and then I thought "huh?" And the fact that Facetime will be limited to wi-fi calling only for awhile is a bit of a drawback.

But all of that aside, I'm going to order mine asap. The phone looks beautiful, and even if I'm not going to be editing any movies on it, the 5 meg camera with led light and high def video is reason enough by itself. When you throw in the new OS and the bookstore, and facetime, etc, etc...of COURSE I'll be in line on June 24.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X