This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions? maximizing available Internet speed

Hey techies! I have a problem and need to pick your juicy brainzzzz.

We're moving to an old farmhouse in the country. The country, as in...we have to get satellite tv because they never ran the cable up the hill. (they are working on the fiber optics, though!) So our current method of internet connection, cable modem is out. Is it possible to piggy back or double up broadband lines in order to make things faster? Or would it be cheaper and less trouble to just pay through the nose and get Hughes Net satellite internet?

Any idea or suggestions would be really appreciated. I don't want to use dial-up!!!

Re: Suggestions? maximizing available Internet speed

Avoid Hughes Net if at all possible. The advertise nice and zippy download speeds but the upload speeds are always horrible. Talk to the phone company and see if you can get DSL. If you can't then talk to them about ISDN. It is possible to join two ISDN lines together and get faster internet but it is also expensive. DSL will be your best bet.

Comment

Thanks!
      They do have DSL, but isn't it slow too? Would things like streaming video be impossible with DSL? I will ask about the ISDN.

Comment

I switched from dsl to cable because I live "too far" from the telephone company's central office.
        at times dsl was as slow as dial-up.

in my case "too far" is almost 3 miles as far as I can tell from where the phone lines run.

Comment

Originally posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
          Thanks!
          They do have DSL, but isn't it slow too? Would things like streaming video be impossible with DSL? I will ask about the ISDN.
          I am on a DSL line and I stream video all of the time. The only time I ever really get annoyed with the speed is if most or all of the family (six of us) is online and there are a few of us trying to do something bandwidth heavy.

Comment

DSL availability and speed will be directly related to how far you are from the central office that gives you your phone service. If you are too far you won't be able to get any service at all.

As a general rule you should be able to stream video even at one of their lower speeds. The biggest challenge for you is going to be, actually being close enough to the C.O. to get the service if you are truly out in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

DSL is what I've used for about 9 years.

I've yet to find something that it can't do.
              sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I know one of our neighbors has DSL, but I don't know how slow it is for her. We must be at least a few miles from the C.O. , possibly more than a few.

Comment

I have 6 megabit DSL and stream video. Netflix comes through our home network just fine - most of the time. On occasion when traffic is heaviest (mid afternoon), and there is other internet traffic on our network at the same time, we get a longer buffering period while the beginning of the movie downloads, but that is about the only streaming problem. I am less than a quarter mile from our local distribution building however...

Find out what speed your local DSL has to offer, and how far from the C.O. you are. It may be slower than you are used to - but the better option for now.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X