Can a conventional Mouse be used on my Mac Laptop? - Asking the specifics.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbaraann
    Chicago Gal
    • Apr 2005

Can a conventional Mouse be used on my Mac Laptop? - Asking the specifics.

I have a Mac Book. I have had it for a while, and I really like it a lot. I don't use it for everything, but when I do, I use the trackpad. I like the track pad. I have never been comfortable with a conventional mouse. However, every so often I let other people use my Mac, and their first issue is with the trackpad.

Now my questions.

Can I hook up a regular mouse to my computer?

If I can how do I do it?

What is the best type of mouse to buy?

What brand of mouse would you recommend that would not be too expensive?

Where is the best place for me to purchase a mouse of this type?

Thanks ahead to anyone who sees this thread and responds.
    BarbaraAnn

• Sambo
    Down Pluto!
    • Feb 2005

Re: Can a conventional Mouse be used on my Mac Laptop? - Asking the specifics.

A "conventional" mouse should work on a mac. It is done via USB port, although I don't know what a mac would do with it (a PC would automatically install the drivers) I assume the mac is smart enough to recognize what it is and make it work. Check the packaging - it should say if it is both Windows and mac compatible and have the logos proudly displayed.

My favorite is a wireless Logitech. I currently have an LX8. You can purchase them at any Fry's, Office Depot, OfficeMax, Best Buy, or similar outlet. Be prepared to spend about $15 to $70 - depending on bells and whistles. Plain and simple 3-button and wheel works fine for me.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

• Trekkie Dad
      state supported cyclist
      • Sep 2005

I have a six button Logitech USB mouse that works just fine on my Mac. Got the driver installed, and all six buttons have functions, though I only use five of the six buttons.
      Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
      2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
      2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
      sigpic

Comment

• flynnibus
        MiceChatter
        • Jun 2006

Yes Barbara.. it's painless and straight forward.. just plug in a USB mouse.

What I would recommend are the mobile wireless mice from Microsoft. Simple, cheap, and effective. The 3500 is a great mouse that can be had for $25 or less. But since Microsoft doesn't list compatibility with OSX directly for these mice, there may be issues with the dongle. The Logitech M305 should be right up your alley and lists OSX compatibility. Buy it at your local best buy for only $19 right now.
        Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
        Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
        Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

• Barbaraann
          Chicago Gal
          • Apr 2005

Thanks everyone.

Like I said, I am not one who likes using a regular mouse. I am a laptop person, and I love the trackpad. Next time I am in either my MicroCenter Store, or my nearest Best Buy, I will pick up a mouse that other people in my household will be able to plug in and use when they want to use my Mac.

My husband is a PC person, and he especially will be happy with a mouse. Especially when he does our taxes using Turbo Tax. Right now his PC is giving him a lot of grief.
          BarbaraAnn

Comment

• lazyboy97O
            враг народа
            • Mar 2005

I would recommend getting a wireless USB mouse, as a cord becomes a quite as the MacBooks have all of their USB ports on the user's left side.

Comment

• Barbaraann
              Chicago Gal
              • Apr 2005

Duly noted about the wireless version..
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

• RedHandedJill
                Shifting cargo
                • Mar 2009

I never use it because I like my Macbook trackpad so much, but I have the wireless Mighty Mouse from Apple. As long as you have Bluetooth enabled on your mac, which I think most do, and a Mac OSX v10.4.8 or later.

Before you turn on your computer you just slide the button on the bottom of the mouse and then start your computer. It's as easy as that.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Comment

• lazyboy97O
                  враг народа
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RedHandedJill View Post
                  I never use it because I like my Macbook trackpad so much, but I have the wireless Mighty Mouse from Apple. As long as you have Bluetooth enabled on your mac, which I think most do, and a Mac OSX v10.4.8 or later.

Before you turn on your computer you just slide the button on the bottom of the mouse and then start your computer. It's as easy as that.
                  Your computer can already be on and the mouse will still connect. But $69.00 is quite an invest for the current Magic Mouse that Apple is selling.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X