This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Jobs steps down as APPLE CEO!

Wow... this will rock the stock tomorrow. Wonder if his health has taken a turn for the worse?

Steve Jobs Resigns as Apple CEO - WSJ.com

I wish I had already sold my stock

Re: Steve Jobs steps down as APPLE CEO!

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    I wish I had already sold my stock
    Not too late...

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Hang on to your stock, Apple's not going anywhere. Not yet anyway. It will rebound and continue to climb for at least a couple more years. There are products and things currently in dev that will push stock up for a while. Depending on how Tim Cook manages things, at the end of a year and a half make another decision to sell or keep.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
        Hang on to your stock, Apple's not going anywhere. Not yet anyway. It will rebound and continue to climb for at least a couple more years. There are products and things currently in dev that will push stock up for a while. Depending on how Tim Cook manages things, at the end of a year and a half make another decision to sell or keep.
        Nah, I think I'll ride the wave up to the next iphone announcement and sell before it actually is announced. the hype is usually far better then the actual announcement and I'll cash out then.

Comment

the hype is usually far better then the actual announcement and I'll cash out then.
          This is definitely true.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Looks like you were worried over nothing, flynnibus. The oft-predicted plummet of aapl, that was supposed to occur immediately upon word of Jobs stepping down, never materialized. The stock dipped a bit, but righted itself pretty quickly and has held steady since then. I guess investors and analysts are more confident in Apple than a lot of people thought. It seems to me that Apple is rock solid and has proven that they can keep pulling off one home run hit after another. Chances are that they still have at least a few crowd-pleasers up their collective sleeve. Also, Tim Cook has done an excellent job managing Apple in Jobs' absence, for significant portions of two or three years, so why should that change now that he's been bumped up to the CEO seat? Besides, Jobs is the chairman of the board, and will still be able to provide plenty of guidance from that position.

On a vaguely related note, I wonder how much of an influence Jobs has on all of the extra effort to 'plus-up' the parks, that started around the time Pixar was folded into Disney and he took a seat on the Disney board (a seat he still holds, btw). Supposedly, Iger likes Jobs' vision and has directly asked him for blunt advice on a number of things. It's possible that Jobs hit Iger and the board with a dose of his 'we need to make the best product we can' mantra, and helped push them to start OK'ing some of the big expenditures for the current and upcoming improvements to the parks.

I know somebody will object to me saying this, but I think Steve Jobs is the closest thing to Walt Disney, that we've seen since Walt's passing. He's visionary, quirky, driven, is very private but can be an amazing showman when in the public eye. He cares deeply about the quality of what he creates, has a great appreciation for art and the aesthetics of what he creates, doesn't give a damn if others don't think he (and his team) can pull something off, and has pulled off massively successful ventures that many thought would horribly flop. He founded his company and (with notable absences) has led it to great heights, by hiring just the right - extremely talented - people to do the necessary things, and providing the guidance to lead them to make insanely great stuff for people of all ages to enjoy. Sadly, it also seems likely that his journey will end too soon, like Walt's did.
            Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

I think Walt did things out of his own passion and being able to built it to share it.

Jobs is still about 'how to run a business'

Walt put his concept first. Jobs still puts Apple first, not the consumer, not the theory. Jobs just thinks if you do it right, people will put aside those other issues.

I think they are very different because of this.

Comment

I disagree. Jobs has repeatedly said that if you aren't building something truly great, for people to really use and enjoy, you might as well hang up your hat. I've seen numerous interviews and public appearances with Steve Jobs, and followed his career (along with massive amounts of other Apple-related news and views) for quite a long time. I think a lot of people have a skewed view of Jobs. Based on what I've seen and read, and heard from several current and former Apple employees, Jobs cares about nothing else as much as about making things that people will think are great and will really get good use out of. Of course one instance of that is his desire to make Apple great, but that is largely a means to and end. Is that really very different than how Walt was?

Jobs returned to Apple when it was in really bad shape, and put everything into bringing it back to where it is now, even when many 'experts' outwardly thought it was doomed. He took over Pixar and did basically the same thing with it because he wanting to help bring to fruition a great vision of making great, ground-breaking animation. In my mind, those closely parallel how Walt put everything into making full-length animated features and Disneyland, even though many 'experts' thought those ideas were doomed. It's true that there are times when Apple has to put it's own interests first, but that is true of ALL companies. (Companies are, after all, groups of workers and investors that have their own needs.) Don't fool yourself into believing that Walt never thought about how he could make good money from the enterprises he involved himself in. Neither Walt nor Jobs can/could make something insanely great and bring it to the public, without having to deal with the realities of working in a business world.

If, by some freak of circumstance, Steve Jobs had been put in charge of Disney, instead of Michael Eisner, do you think things would have gone more or less the way Walt (along with the rest of us) would have wanted? I think that had it been Steve Jobs, we would have seen the second golden age of Disney, rather than the tragedy that was.
                Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 09-14-2011, 09:00 AM.
                Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
                  Jobs has repeatedly said that if you aren't building something truly great, for people to really use and enjoy, you might as well hang up your hat.
                  For decades I have tried to use Apple products and I still to this day do not find them truly great, easy to use, nor do I enjoy using them. So I guess Jobs finally got that message and hung up his hat.

Having said that...As much as I don't care for Apple products (don't like using them - I don't "hate" them - They work, but not the way I like to work) I have nothing at all against Steve Jobs. He is creative, insightful and one hell of an entrepreneur.

Apple will most definitely not be the same without him as was evidenced last time he left, and by when he returned. Microsoft has more consistency as their products keep the same level of mediocrity with or without Bill Gates.

sigpic

Comment

I think a lot of people have a skewed view of Jobs. Based on what I've seen and read, and heard from several current and former Apple employees, Jobs cares about nothing else as much as about making things that people will think are great and will really get good use out of. Of course one instance of that is his desire to make Apple great, but that is largely a means to and end. Is that really very different than how Walt was?
                    Jobs even early on was driven by the business - not the technical. He greats great products not because he's an idealist artist, but because he thinks that is the path to the greatest success for the product. From the beginning, Jobs was about how to productize and monetize the efforts of others.. like Woz. Listen to Woz tell it himself in this recent episode of TWIT, where he says Jobs was always looking for the angle on how to monetize what Woz was creating simply for fun or his own use.
                    this WEEK in TECH 316 | TWiT.TV

Jobs was passionate about his work and his idea of how things should be done. But he was doing it because that is what he thought you should do, and how to be successful. Not because he was a charity looking to give to his creations to the world.

From the beginning, Jobs was the business man pushing how HE THOUGHT things should be.

Walt on the other hand was driven more to do things because he wanted to do them himself and he had an idea of how things should be done. Walt was a creative force that later stepped back from doing the work himself to being a 'director' of where things should be and enforcing his vision on the project. He had a similar streak to Jobs in recognizing what represented an opportunity for business (the planning of a park at his studio) but intent on doing it 'his way'.

Jobs was never the creative force, nor was he the implementor. He was always the visionary with a hands on approach to execution.

That is where they are similar - in their vision and hands on approach... with a 'my way is the only way' attitude. But that is about where they stop. Their motivations and interests are not the same at all.

Jobs returned to Apple when it was in really bad shape, and put everything into bringing it back to where it is now, even when many 'experts' outwardly thought it was doomed
                    Jobs came back to Apple when it was fighting the prolonged battle to be relevant enough to survive in the computer industry. The projections of 'doom' had to do with failed technology projects that were eating money and the lack of change of course of the Mac as a niche market. Jobs secured the deal with Microsoft to address the concern that Mac would be abandoned by mainstream, stopped the lawsuits, and started the 'digital hub' concept which eventually lead to Apple being more of a consumer product company rather then PC manufacturer.

He took over Pixar and did basically the same thing with it because he wanting to help bring to fruition a great vision of making great, ground-breaking animation.
                    Not at all. He bought Pixar as a computer company. Pixar only started producing their own animation as an effort to demostrate their system's potential.. it wasn't till later that they aimed at being the source the the work.. rather then the implementors of someone else's work.

If, by some freak of circumstance, Steve Jobs had been put in charge of Disney, instead of Michael Eisner, do you think things would have gone more or less the way Walt (along with the rest of us) would have wanted? I think that had it been Steve Jobs, we would have seen the second golden age of Disney, rather than the tragedy that was.
                    I think you would have ended up with things like Atlantis, Discovery Cove, etc... experiences that try to control things top to bottom. I don't think it would have somehow maintained some sort of creative pinnacle to lead the company. Jobs is about execution.. not necessarily new ideas. His strength is identifying other people's work and executing on it in an entirely new level.

Comment

Their motivations and interests are not the same at all.
                      I was in the process of writing a prolonged, multi-part rebuttal to your last post, when I realized that it was pointless - partly because we agree in a lot of ways, and that the ways in which we disagree are largely based on point of view and perception of a man's heart and mind.

The above quote is where I think our views of this matter are are least similar. While you see Walt Disney and Steve Jobs as having very different motivations, I do not. I see them as very kindred spirits that had very similar personal directives. However, they largely existed in very different times and under very different circumstances. Therefore, they had different issues to contend with and obstacles to overcome, and what they were able to offer the world, while often great, was simply different.
                      Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Go listen to that TWIT show... first you might find a show you really like.. and second you will hear from Steve Woz yourself about what differentiates Steve Jobs and what drove him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
                          For decades I have tried to use Apple products and I still to this day do not find them truly great, easy to use, nor do I enjoy using them. So I guess Jobs finally got that message and hung up his hat.

Having said that...As much as I don't care for Apple products (don't like using them - I don't "hate" them - They work, but not the way I like to work) I have nothing at all against Steve Jobs. He is creative, insightful and one hell of an entrepreneur.

Apple will most definitely not be the same without him as was evidenced last time he left, and by when he returned. Microsoft has more consistency as their products keep the same level of mediocrity with or without Bill Gates.
                          Of course, not everybody appreciates Apple products to the same extent - if at all. However, in my experience (I have worked in the IT field - using Mac OS, Windows, and even a little bit of Linux - for quite a while), I find that what people typically find most 'easy to use' is simply what they are used to and familiar with. Not that this is necessarily your case, but I have talked to a number of people that are long-time Windows users who claimed to not care for Macs, yet they have only used them briefly and have never had the time to actually become familiar with them. The same can also be said for Mac users that have never really used Windows 7 and seen how big an improvement it is over earlier versions of Windows.

Having said all that, I must say that your comment about Jobs' motivation for hanging up his hat comes across as snide, considering the fact that he had to step back from his role as CEO of Apple due to prolonged health issues related to pancreatic cancer and a liver transplant. Also, while you don't think Apple's products are great, and there are millions of others that would agree with you, there are also millions of people that think otherwise, so I don't think your one vote is tipping any scales in that matter.

Regarding the 'last time he left': He never 'left'. He was forced out by John Sculley, whom he had brought in to actually be the CEO of Apple, a couple years earlier. The difference, this time, is that Apple's is a much different company than it was even before then. It is much more streamline and focused and is lead by a leadership team hand-picked by Jobs to do their own jobs very well and to work together very well. With Jobs remaining as Chairman of the Apple board, hopefully things should remain smooth sailing for quite some time.
                          Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Of course, not everybody appreciates Apple products to the same extent - if at all. However, in my experience (I have worked in the IT field - using Mac OS, Windows, and even a little bit of Linux - for quite a while), I find that what people typically find most 'easy to use' is simply what they are used to and familiar with. Not that this is necessarily your case, but I have talked to a number of people that are long-time Windows users who claimed to not care for Macs, yet they have only used them briefly and have never had the time to actually become familiar with them. The same can also be said for Mac users that have never really used Windows 7 and seen how big an improvement it is over earlier versions of Windows.
                            Agree totally. My experience is with not only the same systems you mention but all the way back to IBM360 and Honeywell - using Hollerith punch cards to communicate with them... With all that - I am indeed most comfortable in the Windows environment even though I often find it lacking.

Having said all that, I must say that your comment about Jobs' motivation for hanging up his hat comes across as snide, considering the fact that he had to step back from his role as CEO of Apple due to prolonged health issues related to pancreatic cancer and a liver transplant. Also, while you don't think Apple's products are great, and there are millions of others that would agree with you, there are also millions of people that think otherwise, so I don't think your one vote is tipping any scales in that matter.
                            Apparently you didn't find the use of your quote about Jobs funny. You brought up his conditions for hanging up his hat, I stated those conditions were met for me - and logically he should hand up his hat. No more, no less. If you read "snide" into that, it is due to your sensitivities, not my words.

It is true I am not a fan of Apple products, and how you or I feel about my "one vote" matters not. That is unless you were being snide...

Regarding the 'last time he left': He never 'left'. He was forced out by John Sculley, whom he had brought in to actually be the CEO of Apple, a couple years earlier. The difference, this time, is that Apple's is a much different company than it was even before then. It is much more streamline and focused and is lead by a leadership team hand-picked by Jobs to do their own jobs very well and to work together very well. With Jobs remaining as Chairman of the Apple board, hopefully things should remain smooth sailing for quite some time.
                            Leaving is not at all conditional on it being voluntary or being leveraged out. Leaving is leaving. You read way too much into what is simply stated. The fact is - no matter how you want to conditionalize and insert detail - He left, and came back, and is now leaving the top position. It is unfortunate that his health is the reason, and that makes me sad. I wish him no harm, but it seems you want to think others do, and it is your duty to defend him. That is an admirable human trait.

sigpic

Comment

@Sambo: I don't want to think that others wish Steve Jobs harm, nor do I feel any real need to defend him, specifically. Regarding 'leaving', I was simply providing a bit of history about his initial departure from Apple - in case there was any misunderstanding of the matter - clarifying that he did not leave by choice, the first time.

Regarding the my use of the term 'snide', I used it because it seemed to me that you were making light of Jobs' departure from his position as CEO, representing it as thought he stepped down due to perceiving some inability in himself to create the appealing products that he strives to create - based on your opinion of those products. This, alone, wouldn't have bothered me, but because he is actually stepping down due to serious health issues, it seemed somewhat inconsiderate. Snide was really not the right term to use, and I apologize if you took offense from it. I also now see how your comment was made in jest, and I really did take it the wrong way. I'll try to keep a bit more of an eye open for subtle humor.

Again, I don't feel any need to specifically defend Steve Jobs, and it was never my intention to canonize him, either. I have been a quite satisfied Mac user for far longer than Apple has been a mainstream hit. In that time, I've watched Jobs return to Apple, and seen the man take a company on the brink of demise and make it the most valuable (total stock valuation) in the world. Here, I simply wanted to express how I see Jobs and Disney as sharing lots of positive (and potentially even some negative) traits.

I think I've said enough about my opinions, which is all this has been for me, and I'll stop here.

@flynnibus: I've seen a lot of interviews with the Woz, but the TWIT you link to is one I think I haven't yet seen. I'll check it out. Thanks.
                              Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X