This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Hard Drives and Travel

Can external hard drives be caried on/checked as luggage for travel on an airplane. Or is it better just to ship it out where you need it ahead of time?
    Originally posted by aashee
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Re: External Hard Drives and Travel

I would not do that. I'm not sure what sort of checks they do on the airplane, but I definitely wouldn't get it checked as luggage (have you seen the brutal way that they treat luggage?) and I would be extremely weary about having an external hard drive go through a checkpoint. If anything, let it go on the belt where they x-ray carryons because taking it through the metal detectors WILL wipe a hard drive.
    Woof!

Comment

How would taking it through the check-in belt, like with a laptop, be any worse for it? Is it because the laptop's hard drive is better protected? (Serious question).

I def. wouldn't check it, not because of the way luggage is treated but because of thw more powerful XRays they use back there. That's why they tell you not to put your film in your checked bags.
      Good morning, son
      In twenty years from now
      Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
      And I can tell you 'bout today
      And how I picked you up and everything changed
      It was pain
      Sunny days and rain
      I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks. Y'all!
        Originally posted by aashee
        We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverNeverland
          How would taking it through the check-in belt, like with a laptop, be any worse for it? Is it because the laptop's hard drive is better protected? (Serious question).

I def. wouldn't check it, not because of the way luggage is treated but because of thw more powerful XRays they use back there. That's why they tell you not to put your film in your checked bags.
          Thats why I was even more carefull and had them hand check my film... (Kodak t-max 100 and 400 film) even thought it's ISO was not on the danger list for those x-ray machines... i dont trust them...

External HS should be safe in those though... just not the checked x-ray

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X