Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Oh PowerBook, why have you forsaken me?

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oh PowerBook, why have you forsaken me?

Originally posted by PrincessY
    I feel your pain... My Mac is currently in the shop too. Early diagnosis is a burnt out fan. But he's an oldie (over 5 years) and I guess you can expect some issues. I am now forced to work on DH's PC. Don't know how you guys live with these things!:lol:

Glad your Mac is up and running again MasterG!
    Thanks! Sorry to hear about your baby going in to the hospital. Macs are wonderful... I don't know how people live on PCs either. Its only been about a year since I ditched my Dell and I cringe every time I'm faced with having to use a PC. It's not fun. :ap:

Hope your Mac is better soon!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey
      Thanks! Sorry to hear about your baby going in to the hospital. Macs are wonderful... I don't know how people live on PCs either. Its only been about a year since I ditched my Dell and I cringe every time I'm faced with having to use a PC. It's not fun. :ap:

Hope your Mac is better soon!
      i'm about to ditch my poor little dell for an absolutely gorgeous and wonderful macbook pro (17" unless i change my mind last second). pretty exciting

Comment

Two things...

Why on earth do you turn off your computer? Ever heard of just closing the lid? (Sleep is a good thing).

As for hard drives, don't forget you can always access the hard drive of any Mac built in the last five years via firewire. Even though the system may be toast you can still get the data off from another computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy2
          Two things...

Why on earth do you turn off your computer? Ever heard of just closing the lid? (Sleep is a good thing).
          Not when traveling with the *shudders* Mac - it still uses power. Hibernating the thing is the better solution - copies the RAM to the HDD and turns off, ready to spring into action.

Comment

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your baby going in to the hospital. Hope your Mac is better soon!
            My Mac baby will be in the hospital for 2 weeks!! Ugh! Going. Through. Withdrawals. (Fortunately, my work computer is a beautiful new Mac).

Comment

Two things...

As for hard drives, don't forget you can always access the hard drive of any Mac built in the last five years via firewire. Even though the system may be toast you can still get the data off from another computer.
              Actually, I did just "close the lid" and put it to sleep before travelling. When I went to open it up it had turned itself off. I thought it was odd, but proceeded to turn it on. Then the three beeps and black screen came.

I rarely power down my Mac, it's unnecessary and putting it to sleep is an easier and more practical thing to do.

Anyway, my computer is quite well now, but thanks for your concern.

Comment

Thanks, ilovetink - You're right in your conclusion... I got an email from Apple from the AppleCare representative I spoke with on the phone:

Not quite sure what this means... But it cant be good, I'm guessing.

I'm taking it down to CompUSA in a bit to see what I can do about it, hopefully they can fix it in-store within a couple of days and I don't have to send it in to Apple for 7-10 days.

Wish me luck
                Keep it far away from CompUSA... as a guy who fixed CompUSA's "Screw-ups" for Compaq a few years back(usually ending up to be $1.99 fixes that CompUSA turned into $1000.00 Nightmares). I worked for a high-end VAR, maintaining Data Centers... Compaq asked us in as a favor now and then.

CompUSA pays their techs Minimum Wage... ($7.75-9 Tops). I know this as a fact as a Nephew of mine works there as a tech. (First job...)

Comment

Two things...

Mac or PC... Shutting down is still the best thing. You should always restart the computer now and then... that's a good thing! Macs (just like PCs, Linux, and any OS) develop memory leaks (programs that use ram, and don't fully clean up)... it's best to restart the computer and get a clean slate at least once a week (once a day at best).

I'm in the IT Support business, and I can tell you as a fact that over 50% of our tickets are fixed from a reboot (Windows and Macs)... and usually we find that the person is just putting it to sleep, rather than shutting down... they sometimes go for weeks that way... Some people claim they do it because they heard that its "less wear and tear"... well it's not... I've yet to see any study show that... and I think reliable data is the most important item with any computers... and having a "clean desk" to start with is key to good data.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkertonfloyd
                    Mac or PC... Shutting down is still the best thing. You should always restart the computer now and then... that's a good thing! Macs (just like PCs, Linux, and any OS) develop memory leaks (programs that use ram, and don't fully clean up)... it's best to restart the computer and get a clean slate at least once a week (once a day at best).

I'm in the IT Support business, and I can tell you as a fact that over 50% of our tickets are fixed from a reboot (Windows and Macs)... and usually we find that the person is just putting it to sleep, rather than shutting down... they sometimes go for weeks that way... Some people claim they do it because they heard that its "less wear and tear"... well it's not... I've yet to see any study show that... and I think reliable data is the most important item with any computers... and having a "clean desk" to start with is key to good data.
                    Thank you for that info. Good to know!

Comment

That is good to know. I leave my Mac on (sleep mode) constantly. Only shut it down when going away for a few days (and not taking my computer).

Comment

Do they have anything like SpinRite for Macs? Something to do a low-level check of the HDD looking for little errors that the OS is covering up, before the whole drive just goes kablooey?

You can do it if you pull the drive and install it as a slave drive on a Wintel machine, but for most people that would be a royal pain in the patoot.

--<< Bruce >>--
                        There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Bruce, from the Finder:

Go Menu -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Highlight your disk and there's a tab there called First Aid that allows you to verify and (if necessary) repair a disk.

Keep in mind that you probably won't be able to run repairs on the disk you're actually booted onto, so if you need to do repairs on your system drive, find your OS X installer disk (or your restore disk if your current OS came on your Mac) and boot off the CD (reset if necessary, hold C during startup). When the Installer opens and it presents a "Welcome to Mac OS X Installer!" window, you can run Disk Utility from the CD by looking in the menus. It's listed somewhere in there with a small handful of emergency apps.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X