Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OS Question

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OS Question

    ok guys.. the bf is having me a computer built and i get to choose the OS for it..the guy has Lindows, Windows ME or I can pay the 90 bucks for XP home.. if i choose Lindows or ME he will just give it to me and not tack it on to the total cost of the puter but if I go for XP home, that is going to be tacked on

    now the question which one should I go for

    ive been using 98 ever since i had my first puter so ive really not kept up with all of the OS's so im kind of lost here...HELP! LOL


  • #2
    Re: OS Question

    I know that it costs more, but go get XP.
    Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

    Buy Now at Amazon

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: OS Question

      I'd say fork over the $90 for Windows XP Home. Windows XP will be the easiest for you to get support for if you ever need it.

      Windows ME was just filler between Windows 98 and Windows XP. You could ask what Windows 2000 would cost you. It was released a few months before Windows ME and is typically considered to be superior.

      Lindows is actually Linux (so no help from Microsoft or the vast majority of computer users).

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: OS Question

        Do not, I repeat, do NOT get ME. Its a total POS. You'll be happy with the extra dough for XP, its well worth it.

        Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
        Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

        Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
        Everyone says that the U.S. doesnt make anything anymore, but thats not exactly true. Were the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: OS Question

          I don't think Microsoft is even supporting ME anymore.

          Get XP Home. It's a much better OS anyways.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: OS Question

            Ok, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my ME!! XP is doody.
            However, Demigod is right, MS is stopping ME support in July, so don't get that.
            WHY they're doing that before Vista comes out, I don't know.
            So I would go with XP. Ugh, good luck!!
            Good morning, son
            In twenty years from now
            Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
            And I can tell you 'bout today
            And how I picked you up and everything changed
            It was pain
            Sunny days and rain
            I knew you'd feel the same things...


            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: OS Question

              thanks for the advice guys! im still not sure what im going to go for..i found out that to make xp do what i want i have to buy the 90 dollar program and THEN fork over another 19.95 for xp to do what i want..im a theme builder and to install and build the themes i have to get a plus pack.. im actually thinking of trying to get 98SE put in it if i can...home worries me and ME dont sound so hot either LOL

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: OS Question

                ME sucks, don't do it!

                I resisted XP for the longest time, preferring 98SE, but I'm finally using XP and I have to say it's very stable.

                Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...


                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: OS Question

                  The guy suggested ME?

                  Please punch him.

                  XP for PCs, OSX for Macs.
                  ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: OS Question

                    Originally posted by Groomer
                    thanks for the advice guys! im still not sure what im going to go for..i found out that to make xp do what i want i have to buy the 90 dollar program and THEN fork over another 19.95 for xp to do what i want..im a theme builder and to install and build the themes i have to get a plus pack.. im actually thinking of trying to get 98SE put in it if i can...home worries me and ME dont sound so hot either LOL
                    Sorry for being dense, but what kind of "themes" do you build?

                    There is no Microsoft like support for Lindows/Linux, but there are a lot of forums
                    with good help (which is often faster and better than Windows support). Also
                    you can't beat the price. But the support for games is lackluster. BUT
                    it is even more stable than even XP. (the OS itself rarely freezes and rarely does
                    an application or peripheral freezing cause it to die).

                    So basically depends on what you need the PC for.

                    Oh, and no way should you put on ME... but everyone's already said that. :-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: OS Question

                      Originally posted by nish221
                      Sorry for being dense, but what kind of "themes" do you build?

                      There is no Microsoft like support for Lindows/Linux, but there are a lot of forums
                      with good help (which is often faster and better than Windows support). Also
                      you can't beat the price. But the support for games is lackluster. BUT
                      it is even more stable than even XP. (the OS itself rarely freezes and rarely does
                      an application or peripheral freezing cause it to die).

                      So basically depends on what you need the PC for.

                      Oh, and no way should you put on ME... but everyone's already said that. :-)
                      the stuff i build is the background, color and sound the puter shows on your desktop. all of my stuff is stored at themes unlimited and i made sure none of my files are wrapped with spycrap..if you want to check out what ive built so far go to http://www.themesunlimited.com then go to top authors on the first page at the top, i was top author in november of last year. all of my stuff is under the username surfkat1

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: OS Question

                        You shouldn't have to pay anything extra for themes with Windows XP. Actually, there is a lot more official theme support with Windows XP. I also had no problem using themes I had on Windows 2000 (but it is unrelated to Windows 98 or Windows ME so support may vary) in Windows XP.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: OS Question

                          Originally posted by testtrack321
                          XP for PCs, OSX for Macs.
                          Wait, I thought it was:

                          OSX/XP for PCs & OSX/XP for Mac
                          -Monorail Man

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: OS Question

                            Originally posted by lazyboy97O
                            You shouldn't have to pay anything extra for themes with Windows XP. Actually, there is a lot more official theme support with Windows XP. I also had no problem using themes I had on Windows 2000 (but it is unrelated to Windows 98 or Windows ME so support may vary) in Windows XP.
                            ok cool that makes me feel a bit better about xp..i was kind of worried that i couldnt build or install the stuff i make..that is my relaxation as well as playing with graphics

                            guess if i cant get 98se back in the new one, i guess i will go with xp home..if do get stuck with home i may be in here alot more crying for help when i get stuck I have xp for dummies but its not answering my questions very well LOL

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: OS Question

                              Well if you get Windows 98 be prepared that Microsoft is dropping support on July 11th of this year.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X