Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Which computer would you suggest?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which computer would you suggest?

I'm NOT getting another Gateway. Terrible customer service and just terrible computers all around. Sheesh.

Anyway, I'm wondering which computers would you all suggest. I might sell my gateway laptop and get another brand. I'm tired of dealing with crappy Gateway.

Thanks

Ta Da!

Re: Which computer would you suggest?

I'd recommend looking at a Mac first. Very good value for the money and the newer ones allow you to run Windows giving the best of both worlds.

If you don't want a Mac, I've had good luck with Dell both at home and at work.

Comment

I have an Alienware and I've had a good time dealing with their customer service. So far I haven't had any problems with it either, and I've had it for about four years now.

Comment

We have had good luck with the Dells at work. Keep in mind, that like many tech companies, they outsource their customer help center to India.

I would also second the Intel-based Macs. I'm looking at getting a new MacBook Pro myself.
        -Osky

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
        Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
        .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch74 View Post
          I have an Alienware and I've had a good time dealing with their customer service. So far I haven't had any problems with it either, and I've had it for about four years now.
          Just for the record, Dell bought Alienware back in March.
          -Osky

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
          Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
          .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Comment

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with Gateway. I've had the complete opposite experience with them. I have a Gateway desktop which I bought in Feb. 1998 (no that's not a typo), and it's still going strong. Has only needed a new fan (aside from standard memory upgrades).

I have used primarily Dell's at work to good success.

However, I'd say that brand name is not as important as making sure your computer has the components you want. Talk to a rep at Best Buy or CompUSA and get an idea of what specs you need for what you use the computer to do.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
            Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
            Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

Hey thanks all! Great advice. I don't know but I've just had bad luck with Gateway. My first Gateway desktop's hard drive crashed a little over its first year. My first Gateway laptop, a Solo, was just plain a piece of crap. I had to end up trashing it. My current Gateway Laptop is only 8 months old and the hard drive was defected. I'm having to pay to back up all my docs and pics, which is ok, should have done that in the first place. At least it was on warranty.

Originally posted by Hyperbole View Post
              Talk to a rep at Best Buy or CompUSA and get an idea of what specs you need for what you use the computer to do.
              You know, I did just that today! I went to BestBuy and they have Geek Squad there and one of their guys was really nice with my tons of questions. He said from his experience Dells are the worst and to try an HP. I think I might look into that along with Mac's.

Ta Da!

Comment

It's whatever floats your boat. We've all had good experiences and bad when it comes to computers. The only rule I live by is that my CPU must be AMD.
                sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Another thing you might do is use manufacturer's websites to configure similar systems to compare them side-by-side. I've found this is a great way to compare prices, warranties, included software, support policies etc. etc.

Comment

I have an emachine. Yeah it's kinda "low end" but it runs good and I haven't had a proboem with it yet (had it a year). Mt PC before that was custom built by my ex. I have a Dell at work and I like that quite a bit too. What I really want now is a laptop.

Comment

If i were you i would totally get a mac. ive never had a problem with mine. the new intels are smokin fast and they come loaded with everything you need. personally the 24"iMac looks pretty sweet. Personally Id get a 17" Macbook Pro... you know the new one with the Core 2 Duo! freak. thats sexy.
                      "There's no off position on the genius switch"

Twitter: @WRDinc | Instagram: @WRDinc

Comment

Ive had good luck with HP's (what I have now HP pavilion 6630) and its still going strong with no major problems except the modem blowing up

Ive had good luck with IBM's (home) and Dells wherever I've worked

Comment

I've always been a PC person, but certainly understand the attraction of the Mac. Once you've chosen a way, however, it's difficult to cross over.

Anyway, if you're chosing a PC, I've heard good things about Dell. I have an affinity for Compaq. I've always had excellent service from my Compaq computers and have really never needed their customer service. I'm typing on a Compaq right now and everything seems to be working just wqerqwiu ppodflkj.
                          "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
                          -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Chaney View Post
                            I'm typing on a Compaq right now and everything seems to be working just wqerqwiu ppodflkj.
                            :lmao:

I have a Dell laptop, got it for Christmas last year. No problems. My husband wanted me to have the 17" monitor. Could've done without that, it seems huge to me, but it was a nice thought.

Comment

I have had some really good luck with Dell computers. Only tech isssue I had was a bad DVD drive that took them a while to recoginize as defective, but they fixed it and that's all that matters.
                              Now unfortunately I'm having some issues with my HP Laptop. The wireless card is going out. So it must be just hit and miss for troubles. I've only had it a year. Dell always has the deals, if you are on a budget. Most of my coworkers swear by their Toshiba Laptops.
                              1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X