This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista: So Much Hatred

I had to deal with a lot of Vista tonight, and it has left me in a seething rage. Granted, I was not inclined to like Vista, since most of what I'd been hearing about it wasn't terribly positive.

The first and still largest crime for me is that I can't find a damn thing. This isn't just XP's "hey, look at all the extra crap we put into your Start menu." The very first thing I looked for when I turned to the Vista computer behind the helpdesk (both the XP machine and the Mac being in use) was the Run command... and it wasn't there.

The frelling Run command is not in the Start menu by default.

(Yes, the search box fulfills the same function. No, this is not readily apparent. So far, the search feature is the only thing that doesn't annoy the crap out of me, and all it is is a slightly slicker version of Spotlight. Whoop-de-frick.)

Then there's all the UAC prompts. God help me, the UAC prompts. Yes, I wanted to perform that operation. Why would I have clicked it if I didn't want to perform it? Thank you for protecting me from myself, jerkwad.

One of the most frustrating things, I discovered, is not running as an administrator. If you're not an administrator, you can't do jack. Can't install anything, can't run anything, can't even release and renew your IP address from the command prompt. Seriously. (And, of course, it took a full 10 minutes to find that operation in the GUI.)

And don't even get me started on Office 2007. Apparently, I've heard people say, this GUI is better, after you learn how to use it. But see, that latter part is the real extended middle finger to me. Oh yeah, this is much better, really! Just break all the habits you've formed over the last ten years (things that worked perfectly fine, thank you very much) and you'll be all set! You can't even change the GUI to classic mode, you just have to deal with it. Or, you know, use Open Office.

One of the biggest things that people have been touting about Vista is that it's so pretty. So very pretty. Not that many people will have the graphics capability to actually use Aero, but still. Pretty! Well, it does look rather slick, but still, I'm not that impressed. Why? Because I spent a good two hours yesterday playing with Beryl. Hey Vista, can you minimize windows by setting them on fire? You can't? Oh. Then shut up about your frigging graphics.

I do not look forward with having to deal with this pointless piece of crap, especially because I write tech documentation. Now, we have generally one set of docs for 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4, because everything is pretty similar. Likewise, we don't really have to write all that much separate documentation for 2K and XP. But now, we're going to have to write all new docs for Vista, because none of the old stuff applies anymore. So thanks a lot, Microsoft. My wallet thanks you for the extra billable hours, my inexplicable desire to occasionally sleep wants to you to die.

Basically, Vista was written with no regard in the slightest for how people actually use their computers. To me, the message that this sends from Microsoft is, "Hey, go to hell!" My message to Microsoft: "Right back at'cha!" I will use XP until it gets pried from my cold, dead hands, and then I will switch permanently to OS X (which manages to look cool AND be user friendly, amazing how that works) and Linux. I never used to be one of those pretentious anti-corporate hipster people, but now I'm left with really no choice.

And for that, Vista, I hate you. I hate you so very, very much.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Re: Vista: So Much Hatred

Oh yeah, then. I'm so looking forward to Vista! I've heard a lot of horror stories. (Then again, I heard a lot about XP when it debuted, but I'm running it now and I really like it!)

I recently upgaded my IE to the new verson. (Presumably associated with Vista.) It's... well... weird. It's OK, but a little too many bells and whistles. The previous version worked just fine... was intuitive... and really didn't need a whole new look.

It just seems that a lot of times when someone "upgrades" their software, they don't really improve it... they just change it.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

I loved 2000, and I was iffy with XP ... but love it now. When I heard of Vista though I just wondered why Microsoft would release something like this. I'm with you in saying that I'll be keeping XP ... and if that gives up on me then I'm heading to Linux.

Comment

I was curious about Vista, but I guess no more. I got an upgrade offer to Vista, but decided to pass because i'd rather wait a year or so until the initial reviews start rolling in. I HATE THE NEW INTERNET EXPLORER!!! It's slow, annoying, tabs are useless and work better on firefox!

My next computer will be a Mac.
        Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

Comment

Speaking of OS X, have you noticed Microsoft is slowly changing Windows to look like Apple's OS? The first time I saw Vista I thought I was looking at OS X.

As for me though... IF I migrate to Vista, it won't be for at least 6 months - 1 year.
          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Wow. The other day I asked DH if he was planning on upgrading to Vista and he told me that he's heard so many bad things about it that he's going to run XP until it's dead and gone. And then he said after that, he'd seriously consider switching to OS X.

This, from a die-hard PC gamer who loves the fact that he can tinker with his hardware, strip and gut and upgrade to his heart's content, and used to make fun of Mac users because "the way you guys upgrade is to buy a new frickin' computer."
            She did it!

Comment

you can run OS X on a pc? im confused! and too lazy to figure it out
              Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

Comment

Originally posted by goofygoof View Post
                I was curious about Vista, but I guess no more. I got an upgrade offer to Vista, but decided to pass because i'd rather wait a year or so until the initial reviews start rolling in. I HATE THE NEW INTERNET EXPLORER!!! It's slow, annoying, tabs are useless and work better on firefox!

IE crashes every time I use it-EVERY TIME. As soon as a new window opens- like if you link from one to another-the whole thing freezes and dies- loathsome program.

Comment

Hah - I meant to say "switching to a Mac"

She did it!

Comment

firefox!

My son just put on vista on his lap top and he hates it. My reply was you should have got a Mac.

I love my Mac Mini
                    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Comment

I think a lot of people are considering that. Microsoft is making a big mistake in making their products look more and more like Macs. It makes people think "Why would I want a mac look-alike, when I can buy an actual user friendly Mac?".

We have 3 PCs and 3 Macs in the house (desktops and laptops of both). The only reason we have any PCs is because they run all the business software and games I like to play.

But with Boot Camp, one doesn't really need to worry about that any more. So I'm keeping a really close eye on Visa reviews and news on the about to be released upgrade to OS X.

If anyone isn't sure about switching, just buy yourself a Mac Mini and try it out (we use a KVM switch so we can use the same monitor and keyboard that we use on one of the PCs - a simple click to switch back and forth between the PC and Mac). That tiny little computer is more than powerful enough to process videos, pictures, music, and more without crashing for months on end. A tiny little powerhouse. Really quite extraordinary.

I'm not sure that I'm ready to get rid of my PC entirely, but am using the Mac more than I ever thought I would.
                      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                        I'm not sure that I'm ready to get rid of my PC entirely, but am using the Mac more than I ever thought I would.
                        Yeah, I hear you. I decided to bite the bullet and get a MacBook Pro in August (and will probably be paying it off until I'm 25, but that's how it works), mainly because I'd heard about Boot Camp, and thought it would be really cool to have a computer that could run both major operating systems. So I installed it (ended up having to partition manually so I could have a shared storage partition for the two OSes) and got everything set up on both OSes. And I haven't booted into Windows since. I really, really like OS X, and, not being much of a gamer, I really have no reason to use Windows.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Comment

I had a fairly long thought out post here, but decided to yank it.

Just remember that first impressions wont always rub you the right way.

Plus, if you plan to jump to OSX, don't threaten everyone with the decision, just damn do it. The less people we have on the Windows platform, the better. I'd like to see Windows less mainstream then it is. Then, the Windows enthusiasts don't look so crazy.

I don't see why if someone hates a specific platform, they use it at all. Don't like writing Tech Docs for it? Quit your job. Don't like the fact that your office uses Windows? Quit your job. If one operating system is going to get you so worked up, don't use it. Pure and Simple. Not feasable to quit? Work around it. Times come and go, and things change.
                          Last edited by Monorail Man; 02-09-2007, 12:42 PM. Reason: Decided that it wasn't worth my time.
                          -Monorail Man

Comment

I've only been using XP for a couple years now (my old home PC ran Windows 98). Wasn't sure what to make of it at first but it's grown on me. I use the Media Center edition at home and it's quite nifty. I'm always finding new things to do with it when I play music & videos.

I really think my next computer is going to be a Mac though. I've been wanting one for ages but just haven't been able to afford them.

Comment

You can, but it requires work. It has apparently become easier now that Apple has switched to the Intel chips. I'm personally of the belief that Apple will continue to look the other way while people make it easier to use Mac OS X on non-Apple computers.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X